Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Arrivals, Let's get to know each other!

I just thank God above for me being able to self pay and have this done as my insurance company just wants to see how many hoops you would jump through before you collapsed.

Sherri

Same here, my insurace would pay 50%, but not for at least 12-24 months. And then I heard they usually deny you on a technicality or just make you do so much stuff you just give up. That is why I have decided to self pay.

Hi! I am new to the group and found this wonderful website today. I am at the very beginning stages of this. I am going to the seminar tomorrow, but have made up my mind that this is what I want to do. I have so many questions...if ya'll could answer any of them, it would be a big help!

1. How long did it take you from the beginning of the process to get your lap band?

2. What about the loose skin issue? How has that been for you?

3. Do you think insurance companies are getting better about approving this procedure?

4. Is it weird to not eat as much now? Is there a lot of adjusting psychologically after you have this done?

Congratulations to all who have lost so much weight, I am totally inspired by all of you!

Hi! I am new to the group and found this wonderful website today. I am at the very beginning stages of this. I am going to the seminar tomorrow, but have made up my mind that this is what I want to do. I have so many questions...if ya'll could answer any of them, it would be a big help!

1. How long did it take you from the beginning of the process to get your lap band? I have that question myself.

2. What about the loose skin issue? How has that been for you? differs. age and smoking are factors in that.

3. Do you think insurance companies are getting better about approving this procedure? my opinion, yes

4. Is it weird to not eat as much now? Is there a lot of adjusting psychologically after you have this done? not banded yet myself.

Congratulations to all who have lost so much weight, I am totally inspired by all of you!

:eek:

---

I have alot of these same questions. I'm about where you are. You will be very glad you came to this message board.

Thank you Becky! I feel happy about it already....I have skinny friends who could never even comprehend what this feels like for me...I hate them! (just kidding)

Where are you from? I am from Texas!

I am from a very tiny mining town in Nevada. I also have friends who I know won't be supportive. I got up the nerve to tell one friend (also skinny) and she just thinks I'm lazy and taking the easy way out. Did I mention she has never had a weight problem in her life!!! Because of this, I have pretty much been a closet-bandster so far. Even though Im not banded yet. I have to do what is right for me. And you have to do what is right for you. Since you feel like you are making the correct decision then you are. Good Luck to you.

I am from a very tiny mining town in Nevada. I also have friends who I know won't be supportive. I got up the nerve to tell one friend (also skinny) and she just thinks I'm lazy and taking the easy way out. Did I mention she has never had a weight problem in her life!!! Because of this, I have pretty much been a closet-bandster so far. Even though Im not banded yet. I have to do what is right for me. And you have to do what is right for you. Since you feel like you are making the correct decision then you are. Good Luck to you.

There is another message board that I frequent (recipes) and the topics always flow to regular chit-chat. I learned about the lapband from one of the members telling her story. There are also a few others who have had gastric. They get trounced about having taken the easy way out, and there is nothing easy about either procedure. But I, like you, have told a very select few. I haven't even told my brother mainly because I don't want his wife and her family to know. It is very personal to me and really nobody else's business. Only two people at my work know, my manager and the owner. Only two of my friends know.

The weight issue is my own to deal with and I don't want to receive unsolicited advice about anything. I've got my mother to help me, my two friends, one of whom had gastric. She is truly my best friend. She is the only one in my world who truly knows what it is like to exist in this body. I am so tired of trying to explain it to others. If you don't live it you just don't get it.

*sigh* Sorry I rambled. Just wanted to let you know that keeping it to yourself is absolutely your right and you do need to do what is right for you. :eek:

They get trounced about having taken the easy way out, and there is nothing easy about either procedure. But I, like you, have told a very select few. I haven't even told my brother mainly because I don't want his wife and her family to know. It is very personal to me and really nobody else's business. Only two people at my work know, my manager and the owner. Only two of my friends know.

. :eek:

LOL, I totally know what you mean. I have a twin brother and I want to tell him sooooo bad. I can't though because his live in girlfriend is the daughter of a co-worker. I'm afraid if I tell him, he will tell her, and she will tell my co-worker. (if that made any sense :nervous ).

And about WLS being the "easy way out". Just the pre-banding classes, testing, waiting for insurance approval, etc, alone are worth 100 lbs worth of weight loss. Don't ya think? That is harder than any diet I ever went on!

LOL, I totally know what you mean. I have a twin brother and I want to tell him sooooo bad. I can't though because his live in girlfriend is the daughter of a co-worker. I'm afraid if I tell him, he will tell her, and she will tell my co-worker. (if that made any sense :nervous ).

And about WLS being the "easy way out". Just the pre-banding classes, testing, waiting for insurance approval, etc, alone are worth 100 lbs worth of weight loss. Don't ya think? That is harder than any diet I ever went on!

It makes perfect sense. It's bad enough when you aren't banded and people just find out you are on a diet. Always watching you, policing you. I totally understand. :eek:

I think the barium swallow is worth some bragging rights as well. I did the swallow, they took the pictures and got nada. I had to do it again, and the second time the barium was warm. *gag* :tired

Then when I had my mental assessment they decided I was depressed. Nice to explain a lot of my emotional issues but what a nice label! LOL! :fish: Now I'm a bigger mess than I thought I was! Heh-heh! They want to reassess me after I've lost some weight and see if that perks my mood. I'm sure all of us, or most of us, are suffering from depression which totally doesn't help the emotional eating side of it all. I'm really thankful for the assessment as it's made me much more aware of moods and such.

Hi, I just thought I would jump in here and introduce myself too. I live in Chicago with my husband and my wonderful pugs. (Husband is wonderful too! lol). I just got finalized for my banding on July 3! I'm so excited and scared all at once. Going to TJ because I'm self pay.

Hi everyone, welcome to LBT. This is a wonderful site, you can ask absolutely anything and get answers. One thing you will soon realize tho, is that while everyone is willing to help, everyone has had a different experience, and every Dr. has different "rules" to follow. In spite of that, I have got amazing support, and made great friends here.

Tomorrow will be my 2 month bandiversary. It has been so easy that it almost does not seem real sometimes! I was self pay, I was denied by BCBS of TX 2, times, and chose to go self pay in Mexico as opposed to waiting an additional 12 months or more with my ins. I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, my SIL and I went together and had it done. The hospital was immaculate, there were occasional language barriers, but they always had someone who could speak English, so it was not a big deal. I had my surgery done on April 24th, most of that day, I slept off and on to be honest! Nerves had kept me awake the night before!!! I walked the halls but also slept quite a bit, they did put something for pain in my IV just after surgery. The next day I was up and walked all over the hospital, and had nothing else for pain, I "ate" broth, Jello, apple juice, and tea for each meal in the hospital...of course the broth flavor, and jello color. They offered me a sleeping pill if I needed it. The 3rd day, we flew home, 5 hours in the plane, and another 5 in the car. All I needed for pain was one shot of liquid Tylenol. The day after I got home, I was out shopping. I have never taken anything else for pain. I felt run down on days, and knew I needed more Protein.

My husband recently was diagnosed with a heart issue, and my stress level has been off the chart, and my eating plan kinda went out the window. But as of this morning I am down 32 pounds. I need to change my ticker! I feel full on MUCH less food! I have had one "golfball" issue is all, no PB's yet. The band has been just great! My only regret is I didn't have it done years ago! I would suggest this to my mother, sister, or daughter if at anytime they needed it!

Good Luck to ALL!!

Kat

This is great to get to know everyone. We have four children and we live in a rural area of Virginia. I hope to get my date next Wed. I have the psychological next Thurs and the dr on Wed.

Have a Blessed Day

Joy

1. How long did it take you from the beginning of the process to get your lap band?

I was self-pay, I found out about Lap Banding in Jan, and was banded in April (2005). I'd have gone in Feb if hubby hadn't needed more time! LOL

2. What about the loose skin issue? How has that been for you?

I'm down a tad over 60 pounds from my high weight. My tummy is shot all to h*ll, and I need a Tummy Tuck. Today I got a good look at my inner thighs and they are looking pretty icky. Boobs are doing okay...not bad considering, really. Arms are okay. I'm not slender, for sure, but the only PS I'm planning on is the Tummy Tuck. The rest I'll have to live with!

3. Do you think insurance companies are getting better about approving this procedure?

I wish...at this point I'd be happy to have my fills covered. Yes, I think ins cos are turning around, it's just slow

4. Is it weird to not eat as much now? Is there a lot of adjusting psychologically after you have this done?

YES! I find I'm not "mentally' done eating. There is, for sure, head work that needs to be done along the way. But the band calls the shots. It's kind of hard to argue with, unless you just need a fill. Go ahead and line up your therapist...just kidding! But there is definately a psychological adjustment.

Hi all you new folks, and welcome to LBT! There are sooooo many of you, I can't keep up so this is a nice place to say hello to lots of you!!!!!

Someone asked about having a 5yo at home. My youngest was 2, and he was hard...diapers and all. I needed help, plus my first 2 weeks post-op were very difficult. I was super tight and it was sure scary. Anyhow, a 5yo is manageable. Just prepare him/her for being a good helper. Practice now for things like "will you hand me the remote?" and "will you bumpt down the air?" or whatever. And help him/her be as self-sufficient as possible. Keep healthy Snacks in a basket, easy to get to. You will be sore and tired and need extra rest, but it's not like you are tied to the bed or sofa...it will be fine!

Good luck everyone! Happy Band-days to all!

Well, I had my four week visit on Thursday, and they said I have to wait to get my first fill. I was disappointed, but I need to eat solids first. I had steak for dinner. a small piece but I guess I didn't wait long enough between bites, cause it just sat there in my esophagus. I had to make myself spit up to get relief. The same thing happened this afternoon, with nova. I have never eaten slowly nor ever took small bites. It is a learning experience.

I am fairly new...Just got home yesterday from having my surgery on the 22nd....Its absolutely not the worst thing I have ever been thru and have already been up doing some laundry today....Everyone heals differently and at different stages...Its been fairly quick for me...Just a few gas pains but nothing that a small dose of my pain meds and heating pad cant take care of...I am just waiting for some weight to start coming off...While in the hospital I gained almost 6 lbs but i believe its from the iv and swelling...That is coming off little by little...I am on Clear Liquids till monday and can start some light mushies that day and will be on them for about 5 weeks...So far it has been good:bandit