Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried stomach is to BIG

:crying:

I am very worried because last week I was able to eat a whole sandwich made at home. I didnt even realize it till I had eaten the whole thing, I didnt have any problems eating it like pain or discomfort. I have only been out of surgey for 2 months. I talked to Shirley and she said she is only able to eat about half of a sandwich along with her husband. Im getting more and more depressed about this. I do not want to have another surgey to correct this if there is a problem, which I think there is a problem. I have been feeling like something hasnt been right since shortly after I had surgey. I still have that "hunger" pains not really pain but I do get hungry, I was told after my stomach healed that I would no longer have hunger. I'm just feeling why why why...why wasnt it done right the first time? Either way something is wrong with my stomach bc I am only suppose to hold 4-5 ounces. I have been able to hold more than that. Dr. Almanza's staff wants me to come back to Mexico to have an Upper GI test done. I dont want to go to Mexico again, I will ask one of the Drs I work with to order the UGI. Its just that why wasnt this done correctly the first time? I put all my faith and money into this surgery and I'm having problems now. I know that I'm sitting her being "poor me" its just that I do not have the money or time off from work to go back to Mexico to have this corrected. If the UGI does show my stomach is to big well then I will have to go back to have Dr. Almanza to correct it. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help and give me some encouragement.

Tabitha

I am very worried because last week I was able to eat a whole sandwich made at home. I didnt even realize it till I had eaten the whole thing, I didnt have any problems eating it like pain or discomfort. I have only been out of surgey for 2 months. I talked to Shirley and she said she is only able to eat about half of a sandwich along with her husband. Im getting more and more depressed about this. I do not want to have another surgey to correct this if there is a problem, which I think there is a problem. I have been feeling like something hasnt been right since shortly after I had surgey. I still have that "hunger" pains not really pain but I do get hungry, I was told after my stomach healed that I would no longer have hunger. I'm just feeling why why why...why wasnt it done right the first time? Either way something is wrong with my stomach bc I am only suppose to hold 4-5 ounces. I have been able to hold more than that. Dr. Almanza's staff wants me to come back to Mexico to have an Upper GI test done. I dont want to go to Mexico again, I will ask one of the Drs I work with to order the UGI. Its just that why wasnt this done correctly the first time? I put all my faith and money into this surgery and I'm having problems now. I know that I'm sitting her being "poor me" its just that I do not have the money or time off from work to go back to Mexico to have this corrected. If the UGI does show my stomach is to big well then I will have to go back to have Dr. Almanza to correct it. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help and give me some encouragement.

Tabitha

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this.

I am over 9 months and can only eat 1 half of sandwich with 1 piece of deli meat and cheese on it on extra thin bread. So, my heart definitely breaks for you especially since you are feeling hunger as well.

I hope the GI study reveals that your stomach is okay, and that you are not having to face another surgery to fix a problem. If you do have to endure another surgery, hopefully you won't be out any more money. I can imagine your frustration. Feel free to vent here anytime, that's what we're here for.

Did the staff tell u what the "fix" would be if u did have to have one?

I will b 2 months out on April 4 and I haven't tried bread yet so I don't know how much of a sandwich I can eat but I assume it would be about half because when I eat 2 slices of thin deli turkey and some cheese and I'm stuffed. I tried three slices once and couldn't do it. What all was on ur sandwich?

im like tiff i'm in my 7 months and i'm good if i can get a half a sandwhich down. bread is not my friend either is rice or anything too dough just seems to get stuck and hurts and i still vomit if i eat a little too much. It not" POOR YOU" you have every right to be upset and to vent anyway you want. i hope you can get this solve. in the mean time here a some ((hugs)) and i can only understand not wanting to have a another surgery again i shudder at the thought myself.

Edited by ryansgirl

I have to ask, who told you that you wouldn't have hunger after surgery? That's just not true. Some people have none, but then again those people are all taking acid blockers, too. I take an acid blocker and still have some occasional hunger, which I fully expected after surgery. That seems to be the case for most people.

You should still be limiting yourself to 2-3 ounces a meal right now... just because you CAN push more in there, doesn't mean you should. If you're regularly going past that amount then you do run the risk of stretching your sleeve somewhat during this first year. Do you have a food scale at home that you can use?

Tabitha

Tabitha,

I think that the positive aspect of all of this is that it sounds like you don't have a leak or anything like that. Your body is tolerating food, which should be a good thing. I know I would feel exactly like you if I were in your position so I don't mean to sound righteous or anything. I guess I'm saying that if you have to try to find something positive in this situation, a revision to make your stomach smaller wouldn't be the worst thing you could have to deal with. But, I hope for your sake it's not anything that requires surgery.

I do remember reading a post about someone who had developed a little pouch off to the side of her sleeve that was holding extra food. I believe she was having some other symptoms though. She did have to have a revision surgery. Can anyone remember where that post was so that Tabitha could PM that poster to compare notes?

Are you drinking Water while eating? I am not 100% sure on this because I am Preop, but I do know that I can eat like an amazing amount of food, because I drink like crazy while I am eating....Just kinda washes the food right through...

Tiffany

Gee that must be really frustrating. I had my sleeve done with Dr. Aceves almost a year ago and there is no way I could eat a half a sandwich.

I hope you get this figured out.

Hello everyone, thanks for all your concerns and information. I had my Upper GI this morning. Mechanically everything looks perferctly fine. The Radiologist will get some measurements for me so I can send them to the Dr. The Radiologist said the stomach will stretch, this I know, but you would think that I would have had some kind of pain or discomfort, which I didnt. As soon as I get the results to Dr Almanzas office I will not know what the outcome will be. Please say a prayer for me. Oh by the way, that was the first time I tried to eat any bread. Thanks

Tabitha

Tabitha,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I never lost my hunger completely, but I definitely lost my ravenous cravings, which has helped me keep things in check. How long did it take you to eat the entire sandwich? Around two months out I could eat the insides of like half a sandwich, but if I was eating super slowly, I could probably have gotten the whole thing down within an hour. Good luck with getting everything figured out. In the meanwhile, keep venting.

Tabitha,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I never lost my hunger completely, but I definitely lost my ravenous cravings, which has helped me keep things in check. How long did it take you to eat the entire sandwich? Around two months out I could eat the insides of like half a sandwich, but if I was eating super slowly, I could probably have gotten the whole thing down within an hour. Good luck with getting everything figured out. In the meanwhile, keep venting.

Good point about the time. I can usually only do 2 oz an hour. I had a piece of pb toast last week. It went down pretty easy and quicker than usual. Sometimes I could eat quicker than I should and I have to remind myself to slow down.

Tabitha, I hope everything turns out to be ok for you!

:thumbup1:

Tabitha

Wow, I can't even eat 1/4 of a sandwich. . I am 3 months out and can barely fit in 4 oz of food per meal. . .last nights meal was 4 bits of salmon and thats it. . . i don't know what happened in your surgery but that doesn't sound right at all. . .