Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So okay, here's the deal. My surgeon's office called me this morning to schedule a gallbladder scan and a Hidascan. I told her that the hospital doctor said my gallbladder was not involved. She told me that a ct scan cannot see all the gallbladder and that the gallbladder was very likely involved.

Anyway Dr. Merriman wants to follow through with these tests. I personally think it is a good idea to take a closer look at my gallbladder. So anyway I'll have these tests on Mar 30.

I still feel good and have no pain!:confused1:

What a great doctor to want to make sure you are 100% ! ! !

Glad you are feeling better and without pain.

I had the GB ultrasound, and at some angles you couldn't see the stones, and inflammation. But, the US tech would have me stretch a certain way or twist my upper body, and bam they would show up.

Best wishes, and I hope you get good news. I had been having GB symptoms since December, but ignored them thinking it was something else. I had major pain in my shoulder, and would get diarrhea occasionally. I just thought it was body doing it's thing. I honestly thought the shoulder pain was from my husband and I switching sides of the bed.

I'll be out of state again when you have the test done, and may not have internet access readily available. But, I'll keep you in my thoughts during that time.

Yes, I do think I have a great surgeon! Thank you, Tiffykins, for all your input and work on this forum. Your willingness to share your experiences is priceless!

UPDATE:

Last Saturday (3/27) the pancreatitis pain came back! I talked to my surgeon and he said I could go to the emergency room or I could go on Clear liquids and see if the pancreatitis would resolve on its own. So I went on Clear Liquids and sure 'nuff the pain was gone on Sunday morning. I even felt good enough to go to church! The doc also had told me he was going to reschedule my GB scan and Hidascan for Monday because we shouldn't mess around with pancreatitis.

By Sunday afternoon the pain returned worse than ever! I still had not eaten anything. I didn't want to go to the emergency room because it's like a 24 hour clinic. Last week when I when I sat in the emergency room forever before even being evaluated.

So I thought I'd tough it out because I was going to the hospital the next morning for the tests. By 10:00 p.m. though I told my husband we had to go to the emergency room. By the Grace of God (and I mean that literally) they took me back immediately. When I was there before my enzyme count was 1200 when it should have been 200. This time it was over 5000! I was in such extreme pain I thought for sure I would die.

They gave me Dilaudid and nausea meds through an IV. The Dilaudid relieved my pain almost immediately. I was admitted to the hospital again NPO. That was Sunday night. They kept me pretty drugged up (thank you very much:tongue_smilie:) and did the GB scan and Hidascan on Monday. The tests took most of the day because I was still dry heaving every time I moved. My surgeon told my husband that my gallbladder and pancreas were not getting along so the gallbladder had to go. He did the surgery Tuesday morning. He said it was full of "sludge" I have 5 little scars from my sleeve, now I have 4 more! But I am so glad they didn't have to make a big cut!

So I was released from the hospital on Thursday. It's good to be home.

Feeling better by the day, but this gallbladder surgery has made me much more sore.

Thank all of you for your prayers and well wishes.

Edited by Grateful Heart

You have been not only a grateful heart but a brave heart as well. I just read this post and I'm sorry that you had to endure another surgery. It should continue to get better from here on out. Prayers for sustained good health to you.

I am so glad you are feeling better, that sounds like you were in so much pain! Hope all stays quiet for you to heal and be on your way.

I hate to say it but I was afraid this was what would end up happening. My counts were over 4,000 Pancreatitis is almost always caused by gall bladder problems. I am glad you had it out and now you shouldn't have any more problems.

Ouch! Glad things are now better. When I wake up in the middle of night with any weird pain - usually gas LOL! - I'm always mindful of some odd situation such as this. Never had any GB or pancreatic issues, but ya never know. Never had this surgery before, either, so all things are subject to change. So glad you're doing better. The soreness will go away and then you'll be good as new.

Hey there! You have been on my mind so I'm glad you posted an update. Bless your heart, you have been through it haven't you! I'm so glad that you are on the mend and the problem causer is now gone and you can get on with healing and life with less and less pain!!

I have to go for a Hidascan on the 14th. Not looking forward to that. But, Dr. Merriman's office knows about it being ordered by my PCP so they are all over wanting me to call them if I end up having to have my gallbladder removed so he can do the surgery for me, LOL Still no word on approval from UHC. Tomorrow will be a week since it's been submitted. Say a prayer for me!

I pray the Lord just places His healing hand on you and that each day you wake up you are surprised at how good you feel!! Take care of yourself!!

Krystal

/ OK, what exactly is a hidascan? Is that like a CT or MRI or a what?

I hate to say it but I was afraid this was what would end up happening. My counts were over 4,000 Pancreatitis is almost always caused by gall bladder problems. I am glad you had it out and now you shouldn't have any more problems.

Are these two issues a possible side effect of the sleeve surgery or has it just been a coincidence for the people who have had GB and pan. problems?

Thanks again everybody for your thoughts and prayers! You are all awesome. All I can tell you of my experience with the hidascan is that I had one:001_tongue: Unfortunately (for you, not me) I don't remember much. At that point I was still in a lot of pain and nauseated so they were keeping me pretty drugged up. All I really remember is laying on a stretcher type thing and an xray type thing comes over me and just stayed there for a long time - like a couple of hours. Thank goodness I was drugged or I would have been very very bored. I already had an IV so they could have injected dye.

Any medical type people out there that can clarify this procedure?

Educationrulz

My understanding is that the gallbladder can get angry anytime a person loses a lotof weight, especially rapidly whether they have weight loss surgery or just go on a strick diet of some kind. It has nothing to do with this type of surgery. That is what I have been told.