Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions! Questions! Questions!

I went to my intake appt last week and my surgeon told me about VSG. I'm was firm on having the band, but after reading up on the procedure I'm thinking of changing my mind. I'm really looking for the Pro vs. Cons of the band and VSG. So far this forum has been very helpful but I'm looking for all the info I can get.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to VST! There are members here who have had both and I'm sure will chime in with the differences, but obviously they've revised to the sleeve, from the band, so for them I'd venture to guess there are more positives with the sleeve.

I started my wls process looking and planning to get the band as well. I started reading the complication's forum on lapbandtalk.com and decided the band wasn't the best thing for my life. I won't talk about the negatives with the band or other wls (you can read the complication's forums on both lapbandtalk and obesityhelp.com) because I've never had it, but I will share with you how I thought the sleeve would be a good fit for me.

-I still have a completely functioning stomach and can take pills; I'm only 30 and didn't want to restrict myself in case I needed specific medications later in life.

-It's permanent; I do not ever want to gain the weight back (I realize that this is only a tool and I do have to make some permanent lifestyle changes).

-I do not have to worry about extra supplementation due to malabsorption.

-I do not have to worry about continuous follow-up care (fills and unfills).

-At 7 months out, I now live a very normal, active life!

Not saying that other procedures aren't as good. This procedure just matched my life best, and it has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Thank you DeeDee..I really appreciate your open and honest opinion. What a hard decision to make

I've never had a band, but know 3 individuals who have. They've not met goal in the 3+ years of having the band. Most importantly, they have had complications - swollen esophogus, throwing up, unable to eat certain foods, etc. Knowing that, I looked into other options and found the Sleeve. It appealed to me due to most of the reasons DeeDee mentioned.

For experiences of ex-banders, look up posts/blogs by Tiffykins, youknowit, and FabBy50.

Best of luck on making your decision.

go to lapbandtalk.com and scroll down and read the complications section.

I can tell you from experience, that living with a lap band is pure misery. People love it at first, but eventually, the complications set in.

I'll pipe in and hopefully Bernadette will too for her experience with the band as well.

I had a band for 8 short months before I revised to VSG. Those 8 months were pretty craptastic. I was miserable from 2.5 months post-op. I had the normal lapband issues, food getting stuck, not being able to eat certain foods EVER, puking on Water, let's not mention all the time I spent in restaurant bathrooms because eating out always led to a "surprise" attack of the productive burping regardless of how well I chewed, and how slow i ate. Then, the pain was nearly unbearable from the flipped port that was causing the tubing to pull on the actual band that was sutured around my stomach.

Life with the sleeve is pretty fabulous. I got to goal in less than 7 months. I've dropped 130 pounds in 9 months with the sleeve. It's been pretty amazing. The post-op diet is a bit more strict with the sleeve, but it's so worth it to let the staple line heal properly.

I can't tell you how horrible the band is compared to the sleeve. My mom has a band, and had it placed in Nov 2007. She pukes 2-4 times a week, can't eat some days, she can't get a fill and has been stalled out for over a year with 75lbs lost. She just deals with it because she thinks it's "okay".

Technically, the band has the lowest and slowest weight loss stats. 1 in 4 band patients need a second surgery within 5 years to either revise, fix a flipped port, change port position, replace port, repair a slipped band or put in another band.

The complications are on the rise with the band while the complications with the sleeve are minimal compared to the long term issues of the band.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.

One of the other things I considered is that the sleeve, before it became popular as a stand alone WLS, was the first step in a DS. My thinking is that if something should happen that the sleeve and I don't get along in the long term, then I'd still have the option of the DS.

OH.com also has a very active DS group that had quite a time of it on the board, yesterday. Look for a post by Rockne -- part of the Topic line is: "why do you keep doing this to yourself" or something similar. I believe every type of surgery was represented on that thread.

Below, I've posted a link to get you started on some independent research.

Duodenal Switch

I guess the other thing I'm trying to say is that it is a good idea to learn about all types of WLS so you know all of your options as well as their benefits and limitations. It's also a very good idea to do research that is independent of forums so that you can get to medical studies and other articles that speak to the long term factors of each WLS.

Good luck with your research! :001_unsure:

Deedee - I noticed you said you are 7 months out from having the sleeve. I am also considering the sleeve (surgery is March 31) - one of the largest concerns I have about the sleeve is will I have reflux? (I've had reflux for over 20 years and that's one thing I don't want to have to deal with after surgery - hoping to also get off the medication for the reflux) - can you tell me how that has been for you?

Has anyone out there had to use a C-PAP machine (for sleep apnea) prior to the surgery - and then after the surgery been able to discard the machine? Doing my pro-op stuff they found moderate sleep apnea and are recommending I use the C-PAP - and I was wondering if after the surgery and I lose weight will I be able to stop using it. Thanks everyone

First of all let me chime in with my hatred of the band - I'm shouting from the rooftop to all who will hear - DO NOT GET THE BAND!!! You can search my other posts for the reasons if you want. Now, let me jump off the roof and change topics.

There - now regarding sleep apnea. I also had VERY BAD sleep apnea before WLS and was on a C-PAP machine (it's not a very sexy look at bedtime, is it? But at least it keeps you alive). After getting the band and losing weight it totally resolved and I no longer suffer from it. Losing weight is the best thing you can do for this condition. Continue seeing your doctor and let them decide when you can wean off the machine. Good luck!