Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spent last night in Hosp

So I wrote about my stomach aches, cramping, no energy. I went to the Dr yesterday and he put me back in the hosp. I was dehydrated. They did an endoscopy this morning which was normal. Bottom line is they do not know why the stomach cramps....especially 5 weeks after surg. They see more of this in the first couple of weeks afterwards. They sent me home with donnatal. I sure hope it gets better soon! Has anyone else had these issues?

Hi Deb, I just wanted to send you some hugs. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

So I wrote about my stomach aches, cramping, no energy. I went to the Dr yesterday and he put me back in the hosp. I was dehydrated. They did an endoscopy this morning which was normal. Bottom line is they do not know why the stomach cramps....especially 5 weeks after surg. They see more of this in the first couple of weeks afterwards. They sent me home with donnatal. I sure hope it gets better soon! Has anyone else had these issues?

Hi Deb,

Are you taking any kind of acid reducer, like Nexium or Prevacid? I've read around here on the boards that some people have pain, etc, associated with acid problems. Maybe this could help?

Hope you feel better! :)

Deb,

I'm so sorry you are feeling poorly. I had surgery on Dec 8 and did great until Christmas Eve. Mine was severe nausea and dry heaves. Hospitalized for 11 days. This is what the Gastroenterologist told me: In our stomaches we have a nerve called the Vegal nerve. It is a central nerve that controls everything from your stomach to your intestinal tract to your bowels. Sometimes during the healing process, this nerve becomes "disturbed". That doesnt mean that the nerve has been damaged during surgery. Mine was not. As your stomach comes together, or the healing begins to subside, etc - this nerve is affected. It can react in different ways from moderate to severe cramping, nausea, diahhrea, or in my case it actually paralyzed my entire GI tract. Yep, nothing in nothing out. Air from the 2nd endoscopy evidently triggered something to move again which landed me in the ICU for 2 days. I think everyone thought I was going to implode or something.

Mind you this was from a doctor that was not very familiar with the VSG, but he does have experience with abdominal surgery patients and was highly recommended as a GI doc. Since no other Bariatric doctor would see me because I had surgery in Mexico I pretty much had to trust him. He also said that 99% of the time - even tho they are discomforting - cramps, nausea and other systems are just part of the healing process and are not major worries. This is a MAJOR surgery and healing is not complete in 3 - 5 weeks.

Please try to rest and take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon!

I've had some odd cramping from time to time. Lucygoose gave us some good information and Youknowit asks a good question regarding acid reducers. I was hesitant at first to take an acid reducer for a few reasons but finallly became convinced that it is probably a smart thing to do at least for a few months to a year after this surgery. I hope things level out for you and please keep us posted on your progress.

I think I am finally feeling better today. I worked yesterday and today and went to the chiropractor and got a massage today. I am still having such a hard time getting down any amount of food and drinking is very hard for me to do also. I know I do not want to get dehydrated again. That only makes the cramps and pain worse. The strange thing to me is I was not having any problems like these until last week and I was sleeved on Dec 29th. I guess it is a good thing this is not reversible or right now I think I would have that done. I am happy with the weight loss but goodness gracious, I do not understand how people say we will eat like normal people only smaller amounts. That would mean about 1 teaspoon of each item then I am full! I sure hope this gets better!

I'm glad you're feeling better, but it does get better. Any time a complication comes along I think we all think worse case scenario. But, believe me, you will get to a point when eating is not difficult, and you enjoy foods again.

Hi Deb,

I speak from experience - it does get better! After my complications and I went back to work I would carry some deli ham slice wrapped around a string cheese for lunch. I had to make myself eat it and could never finish half of it. Then one day I realized that I had eaten the whole thing! From then on each day was an improvement. Last night I ate about 9 shrimp and 2 deviled eggs. Hang in there! Just take one day at a time; at least try to get enough fluids in so that you dont get dehydrated and cause more problems; and let your tummy heal at it's own pace. It will decide to get with the program!

Keeping you in my thoughts.