Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you're going to Mexico for a lapband read this!

The only Doc in Mexico that has come close to 5,000 bands is Dr. Rumbaut. Even my own doc is around 2300. Dr. Oritiz (if he counts all the ones he was a proctor with) is probably in the 3000 range.

So unless your doctor was Rumbaut then you did not do your research and they lied to you about how many he has done. Bottom line.

Whatever! Maybe your Doctor lied to you! I am not arguing with someone about how many lapband surgeries he or anyone else has done. I am talking about your rights after surgery if there are complications! Read up! Read the link from Photonut!!!

See, the thing about some of these Mexican Doctors and I do say some.....they don't have that many problems.....they've pretty much perfected the process so problems do not occur that often. I have done my homework. I spent hours on the phone with Inamed. I spoke to several surgeons who spoke very, very highly of "some" Mexican Doctors..mine being one of them. I can also assure you that if I did have a problem, Dr. Ortiz would not hesitate at all to help me, and is prepared to do so. His facility is just as nice and just as equipped as any hospital here in the states. I can't even begin to tell you how positive the experience was and still is as far as aftercare goes. These people CARE.....probably more so than any Doctor I have come across in the states. How many give out their cell phone numbers and answer on the first or second ring...then sit and talk to you for how ever long it takes to reassure you everything is ok? Well, MINE does!

Really! Read the link from Photonut!

I have a little experience with some of these issues. Back in the olden times, when I was banded, Quebbeman--who is just down the street--had placed someplace between 30 and 50 LapBands and charged about $30,000. Rumbaut had done about 1400 and charged $10,000.

I had the $10,000 and I had the $30,000. If I had thought I was taking any chance at all, I'd have written a bigger check. But if I can buy a good product/service for a third of the price from someone who has 3500% more experience, it isn't just the money that's calling my name.

I went to Rumbaut and think he's a wonderful surgeon and a caring guy. Hell, he hooked me up with his endodontist because I needed an emergency root canal...and he got me in post-op when her office was closed for a conference...he's a mensch.

If I had an MO child who was debating where she should go, I'd send her to Rumbaut WAY before I'd send her to half the doctors on Inamed's current list. (That doesn't include Quebbemann; he is now very experienced.) And that's because I've been to a couple of the newbies and some of them have done fifteen bands or thirty and I actually think I've read more publications regarding the topic than they have...and they just don't cut it FOR ME.

And, I have a friend who was banded in Wisconsin. That US surgeon damaged her diaphragm, and she has had several follow-up surgeries and even had the band removed, and is STILL in pain.

Based on her experience, we COULD say that having band surgery in the US is dangerous. But it just isn't good logic to take one--or a few--good or bad experiences and then assume that that experience can be generalized to the population at large.

willbethin--you had a bad experience and, apparently, a suck doctor...and talking about that makes all the sense in the world. But to assume that there is something wrong with Mexican surgeons in general just doesn't fly..unless we get to say that, because a doctor in Wisconsin screwed up my friend's surgery, it's too dangerous to have surgery in the US.

Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mx has don over 5000 lapbands. Many people go to the Inamed site to verify this statistic but cannot because he has not done just Inamed bands.

I agree that a little research goes a long way. I also feel that it is a personal decision. I am confident in my decision and look forward to my surgery with Dr. Sanchez.

Just a peripheral point ... the 11cm band is not the same band as the VG band, although it is similar in size and capacity. It's also an Inamed band but it is not approved for use in the United States.

Are you saying the INAMED band 11cm is not FDA approved? Can you tell me where to find this information? Thank you! Thank you!!

This thread is one of the main reasons why I've been staying away from the forum. The cheap shots tossed across the room.

Enough is enough already! Sheeesh!

This thread is one of the main reasons why I've been staying away from the forum. The cheap shots tossed across the room.

Enough is enough already! Sheeesh!

"It is what it is"

ROFL. That's good stuff.

The thing is, most people who appeal ins denial are eventually approved--the odds are very good. If there's an exclusion on the policy you can change ins or hire an attorney. Insurance companies count on you to give up in the face of a denial or exclusion--that is the reason so many companies only will cover the RNY, with all its post-op complications.

The testing and leg work I had to do took me almost a year and believe me, the band is well worth it.

Of course I wanted my band put in YESTERDAY while I was waiting! The trend I see is that too many of us aren't educated enough about post op issues. I post on OH and I constantly see ppl who either had the surgery already or have their date and are asking what is erosion, what is pb etc. and DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SIZE BAND THEY HAVE!!

I think everyone should have to take pre op classes cuz a lot of pts are going into this blind. Having to wait a little makes you value the exp more IMO.

No blood work should have been your first sign to walk out of there,especially when no one could explain "why" to you.Just going ahead with the surgery when there were already red flags,shows negligence on your part too not just the Dr.You need to be aggressive with your own care and always go with your gut instincts.I really hope you're not having any further problems.My care in "Mexico" was great and continues to be.I do have a minor problem with a possible slow leak but My Dr is stepping up 110% and willing to fix the problem at no charge even.

:help:

I can't figure out if I'm a know-it-all or if I'm stupid - willbethin can't make up her mind! :biggrin1:

And all this time I just thought I was arrogant. :heh:

Kurt, perhaps a .. Guru

No blood work should have been your first sign to walk out of there,especially when no one could explain "why" to you.Just going ahead with the surgery when there were already red flags,shows negligence on your part too not just the Dr.You need to be aggressive with your own care and always go with your gut instincts.I really hope you're not having any further problems.My care in "Mexico" was great and continues to be.I do have a minor problem with a possible slow leak but My Dr is stepping up 110% and willing to fix the problem at no charge even.

I didn't realize how important it was (blood work) until after the surgery....I am only trying to make a point that there are things you have to watch out for when going to another Country for a surgery. Mostly Post Op issues.

I am sure it gets pretty costly (transportation and accomadations) going back and forth for fills and leaks?

I hope he steps up to the plate like your'e assuming he is?????

Read Photonut's link within this thread. Scary!!