Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK - That's IT! I am STILL not losing!

your carb count is killing your loss. 30 grams a day is the maximum that most weight loss doctors insist on post op. Best wishes

It sucks that my nutritionist and doctor told me not to worry about carbs if they had Protein in them and I am only finding out about this from you all.

I still think it is disappointing that eating 800 cal a day, carbs or no carbs, doesn't even get a POUND off in 2.5 weeks. That's just crazy.

But I am revamping the diet, going to try the 30 carbs thing and see what happens. Some people have said their doctor said to stay under 60, and mine said don't worry, so I don't know what to do.

But I am going to try to not put fruit in my shakes and see what happens over the next few days. I will report in so that everyone (newbies) can learn from my hardship!

Don't know if this will help, but here are some foods I use... A typical day is:

Scrambled egg and cheese for bfast

Egg Drop Soup

2 nuggest of chicken wings (boneless)

Ricotta Dessert

Surprise Chili

This game me:

Cal: 500

Carb: 17.3

Protein: 33.7

I was seriously low on Protein but was full. Add two muscle milks and you have 63 Protein, 700 cal and 23 carbs... It can be done!

Lactose sugar free LIght chocolate Muscle Milk

Cal: 100

Carb: 3

Protein: 15

All Natural Greek Yogurt (with fruit in bottom)

Cal: 130

Carb: 18

Protein: 13

Aimee's Surprise Chili (Check Recipe forum)

Cal: 70

Carb: 9.3

Protein: 6.7

Scrambled Egg and cheese

Cal: 140

Carb: 2.23

Protein: 9.1

Egg Drop Soup (2 CUPS):

Cal: 146

Carb: 2.2

Protein: 15

That helps so much just to see what someone else's day is like. I am going to try everyone's tips and then give an update of what happens! I love you guys, thanks for looking out for me and sending me in the right direction, what would I do if I didn't have the forum? My dietician and doc were sending me down the wrong path me thinks!

Have a great night!

Thanks for the info, I will see if I can be more conscience and if it works.

Does anyone else count carbs so religiously? If not, have you hit a stall or kept losing, could it be something else?

I'm sure TIffy is right. I went through a bad stall that lasted over 2 weeks. It started the 2nd week post op. Talk about frustrating !! It was due to what I was eating. I didn't count carbs or calories...and was shocked at how many carbs and calories I was getting when I counted them all up. I was stuck at 11 lbs for almost 3 weeks. Now I've lost 25lbs. But I'm stalled again, because I've adopted Protein bars...Bad Idea.. I was eating 3 a day...also Bad Idea...they have more carbs than Protein, plus they were 180 to 200 calories per bar. So I've droped to One Bar a day, and I'm doing everything I can to get my protein in other ways. Such as sliced ham...30 calories per slice 5 protien grams. (90/15) GOOD. eggs 75 calories 7 protein, Shrimp (15 large) boiled 84 calories 20 portein grams ( 84/20) GOOD. ATKIN'S Protein shake 160 calorlies 3 carbs, 15 Proteins grams. GOOD ! Venison 135 calories for 3 oz, 26 protein grams !!! VERY GOOD! Baked Cat Fish 3 oz. 16 protein grams, 99 calories ! lobster steamed 3 oz. 20 grams protein, 83 calories !! tuna 3 oz. 22 grams protein, 99 calories. chicken Breast 3 oz. 27 grams protein, 142 calories. Canned chicken 3 oz. 21 grams protein, 113 calories. These are the best things I can find. When I drop carbs and calories..the weight starts coming off again. I've been stuborn...but I'm back on track now. Hope this helps. It's very hard to change a lifetime of habits in a 36 days. But keep trying....it HAS to work eventually... it did for me.

Carbs are evil! I agree with Tiffy. Keep carbs to 30 per day.

Refried Beans are all carbs.

The way I lost my 100 lbs was Protein shakes for Breakfast made with Water. Sometimes I will use half hood carb countdown choc. and half Water because I love chocolate. lunch I will have salad with some sort of Protein mixed in, or some sort of deli meat with a low fat cream cheese on it, with a piece of low fat cheese, dinner is some sort of meat and veggies. Snacks, sf Jello with ff cool whip, or sf popsicles, once in awhile sf pudding, and sf fudgesicles.

Hey once I went on a 4 month plateau, but I was almost to goal then. don't worry. It will come off, but you do need to limit those carbs! I never counted calories- only carbs and protein.

While I agree with OregonDaisy that refried Beans are nearly all carbs...I will say they have a very vital part in a healthy diet. Get the fat free ones and enjoy them in moderation ... (small portions and not dripping with cheese). They are full of vital nutrients, Fiber and Protein as well as the carbs. They are healthy carbs..much like the ones you get from vegetables. I know many people that have included beans in their DAILY diet and have lost weight consistently. The carbs we simply must avoid (probably forever) are the processed or white carbs. White potatoes, white rice, Pasta, sugar, white flour. These and Corn Syrup solids will kill your diet if you allow them. There are plenty of healthy alternatives...just do your research.You're on the right track now...go for it!

Many obese people (including me) have a deficient glucose-insulin interaction, causing insulin resistance. This may cause low blood sugar reactions, or high blood sugar (diabetes). Low insulin levels is one indication of this. People with this condition gain weight (and have a hard time losing it) if they are eating refined carbs that have a high glycemic index (sugar, corn Syrup, white flour, products made with white flour/sugar, white potatoes, rice, pasta).

You might ask your primary provider to test your glucose and insulin metabolism (glucose tolerance test, Hemoglobin A1C, insulin level)

Also chromium deficiency is linked with abnormal glucose-insulin metabolism so you might want to get that checked too.

I agree with staying below 30 grams of carbs daily, and preferably they should be complex carbs (whole grains, legumes, fruits), especially if you have this problem.

the same exactly happened with me. I was frustrated cuz I was barely eating anything

well, the good news, after this stall the weight start coming off and I am losing inches. I still wish I can lose faster but thank god so far.

I also believe your carbs are too high. The drink Premier Nutrition's shake (available online and at Costco) and it has 5 grams carbs.

You must get into and stay in ketosis (I believe) for at least the first 4 months after surgery. Your body will get good at burning those 60 grams of carbs and not touching your fat.

If you stay at 800 cals and reduce your carbs you will lose weight. I promise. Don't lose hope. It is hard in a stall.

Good Luck.

Well is it 30 carbs or 60 carbs?

I am trying a new strict daily diet of 800 calories +/- and 30 carbs, 60-80 g Protein and sticking with FF and SF stuff if possible.

I am walking 2 miles daily.

We shall see.

I guess I am just frustrated and I knew it would take work, but I was excited about the possibility of not having to count count count everything and obsess about it all the time. If I did this prior to surgery I could lose weight in ketosis.

So at this moment I am just simply bummed cause I don't feel any different than prior to surgery. This is strict. I didn't expect to eat doughnuts daily and lose weight, but I just thought the simple reduction in amounts would dump some major weight.

I will just do what I need to do.

I see my doctor on Tuesday, so I hope he has some answers for me.

I also stopped taking my Thyroid today. I am wondering if that was hurting me and hindering me from losing. So, all of these strict guidelines have to work.

I wish there was a website for bariatric patients specifically that helped us track carbs, sugar, calories, Protein, Vitamin, Calcium, Iron, B12, antacid, Water intake etc.

I think I may create one. I use MyFoodDiary but it would be wonderful to have something specifically to help US keep it all straight.

Ok guys, thanks for all the tips, let's hope my body responds...

You don't have to be as strict once your off the post-op diet, and are closer to goal.

Don't give up. I promise it works. I was only super strict for the first 4 months then I started adding stuff, and having "treats" here and there.

I use myfitnesspal.com and haven't found one food item/product that isn't listed in there. It's been great for me. I used to just write all my stuff down, but now I use the myfitnesspal thingy and love it.

Rachel,

How frustrating. I am just not there - yet. I know there will be the "dreaded stall." I don't know any rational reason why you shouldn't be losing - even with the carbs with such a low calorie intake. I guess, one little tip I have is try and not beat yourself up too much. I know when I would "be" good and not have any loss in my WW days, I would often go into a binge. I don't know if we can "binge," but still, it is just all the "head game" part of weight loss. I know I could not do this, BUT, maybe try to reduce your carbs like was discussed, but don't weigh again until Monday. Just let your brain have a little vacay from the stress of the stall. So sorry for this - we go through a lot and then if there is not scale victories - what a frustration!

Another thought, those first few weeks, (pre-op...) our calories are so radically restricted, and it would seem our metabolism would really kinda shut-down. Now that you are adding some food back into your diet, it might take a while for your metabolism to catch up.... Hang in there!