Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the Proper Dosage for Miralax?

I looked this product up on the Net and see that it used to be Rx, but not now. It states 1 dosage in a glass of liquids, and drink. It also says not to be used for more than 2 weeks. What is proper dosage to just soften stools without becoming dependent on a laxative? Let me know what you guys do.

I don't usually have a problem, but lately have been straining, in my opinion, too much and don't want to do that any more. Thanks...... :)

AJW, I am on the pre-op diet and doing the Protein drinks/shakes and it was like cement for me. So I bought Miralax and took 2 doses and didn't really notice a difference! Kept waiting. I read the same warning to not take more than 1 week and don't think that will be an issue with me. My husband got some Colon Cleanz herbal formula from GNC which also says not to use more than 7 days but that DID work. Just read the cautions. I have always been regular and this protein stops me up. I hope not to have this issue all the time or I will need to wear a panty liner for all the Proctosol I am slathering on. TMI

AJW,

The first time I used Miralax I had great results (pardon the pun). It really worked for me. However, it seems to rapidly lose it's effectiveness. I had better luck using the Special K Fiber Water packets. One of those a day in a 20 oz bottle of Water (I used the ice tea flavor) ...and I stayed fairly regular. (Another plus is that it also has 5 grams protein) Again though.. that was with the lapband..not sure if it would be different with the sleeve. We simply have to figure out how to get in 25-30 grams of Fiber daily and that's difficult on such limited portions and on such high quantity of Protein. Honestly...fresh veggies alone won't do it...you need whole grains to provide the "bulk". Legumes, Beans etc...are a godsend for people that are constipated. pumpkin puree nearly always helped too.

Intake of the proper amounts of water is vital.

Tracy

I have used it on a couple of occasions. I use 4-6oz of cold Water or Crystal Light, and about 2/3 of a capful of Miralax. I stir it, and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes before drinking it.

The directions on the bottle suggest using an entire capful, but I felt using a little less would be sufficient. I had results the next morning with absolutely no ill side effects. I do not use it regularly because I only use it as needed.

I was using 1/2 a dose every morning in my coffee (can't taste it at all) and it did absolutely nothing for me. I still find that eating a salad every day seems to do the trick for me.

You can take magnesium (500 mg) - 1 tablet a day - and if that doesn't work - then 2 tablets a day -- that works for most people.

And, if you're lactose intolerant like I am, you could always just eat some dairy (ice cream, milk, etc.) and that will clear you out in no time.