Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein supplements - at week 5

I received this information from my dietician at the Center for Weight Management & Wellness. Hope you don't mind me sharing.

?Protein choice should provide at least 10 grams of Protein in 4oz of liquid.

Whey protein is the best protein for fat loss during energy-restricted diets, when combined with exercise. Quality whey protein isolate has benefits including providing intact immunoglobulins to support immune function, providing the highest concentration of BCAA?s (branched chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine which play a key role in the muscle building process-about 25%). It also has a high BV (biological value) which means it is readily absorbed and utilized by human muscle tissue.

BUYER BEWARE: Another ?low quality? ingredient popping up in Protein drinks, bars and bullets is hydrolyzed collagen protein, also known as Gelatin. This is an incomplete protein that is really cheap. If this protein is in the protein blend of your shake, I would be cautious especially if it?s one of the main sources of protein. Hydrolyzed collagen does have some benefits in terms of joint and skin health but not much for building quality muscle. Do not buy New Whey Liquid Protein bullets or protein shots.?

Hugs,

JoAnne

I have been telling people this for months but everyone seems to think these bullets are the way to go so I got sick of saying the same thing over and over again. They are not a good form of Protein and I don't know any doctor who thinks they are.

Daisy, what do you think about Unjury? Have you ever tried it? I had such a horrible reflux experience after Isopure, and just received word from Dr Aceves/ office that they want me to try unjury.

What's your experience?

Daisy, what do you think about unjury? Have you ever tried it? I had such a horrible reflux experience after Isopure, and just received word from Dr Aceves/ office that they want me to try Unjury.

What's your experience?

I'm not Daisy, but I couldn't tolerate any of the Unjury flavors. I tried the strawberry, chocolate, Unflavored, vanilla, and the chicken broth.

It wasn't necessarily the taste, it is the smell of the mixes that gets to me.

I applaud your efforts to get input from others but not sure it will help YOU find something YOU like. I have tried other Protein drinks that folks have RAVED about and thought they were nasty and gross. On the other hand I really like Muscle Milk light which many folks find disgusting.

It is all about trial and error and finding what you think tastes good or at least tolerable.

The best Protein Drink is the one you will actually use. Most post-op folks will not be using protein drinks for the rest of their lives so it is not like you are making a life long commitment to any product.

I would encourage you, and any one else looking for the "best" protein drink to go to somewhere like GNC or Hi-Health or Vitamin Shoppe and get some of the individual packs/cans/bottles/envelopes of different ones and see what works for you.

As for the bullets, I agree they are not the best quality protein however if it is what someone can actually tolerate and ingest they might be a place to start. 100% of 42 gms of poorer quality protein is still better 0% of the best protein on the market.

Before I get piled on, I am not suggesting anyone make the bullets their sole source of protein for the rest of their lives. I am just suggesting that something is better than nothing.

I have never tried unjury.

I like the PVL whey Gourmet Peanut Butter chocolate that I get from Netrition.com

I had no problem drinking Protein drinks before my surgery but now if they even get close to my mouth I gag!!!! What to do????

I feel the same way. OMG!