Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much hunger after surgery??

I can't see if I posted this already, but in the early days the nerves on your stomach are irritate and that is a theory as to why people don't get a strong full signal immediately pre-op. But, as everything heals, it will get stronger.

Which is good because that uncomfortable feeling of eating too much is the pits!

Hope4Me - Dr. C cares about results. You lost over 5 lb. a week on average, which is well within the expected .5 to 2 pounds a day that happens in the early days. So he should be happy. How fast you eat and drink will only come up if you have a problem related to that. Or you chose to bring it up.

Let's put it this way, I tell him at EVERY check-up that, while I'm doing better than the check-up before, I am still eating too fast for my liking. But the only time he was upset with me is when I didn't lose as much as he expected me to. :lol0:

I'm going to see him on Wed. in SJ. When are you going to see him?

I find it curious about the not eating between meals theory. I tried to follow that, but when I did, my weight loss absolutely came to a screeching halt. But, when I eat a healthy snack between meals, I actually lose much better.

I find it curious about the not eating between meals theory. I tried to follow that, but when I did, my weight loss absolutely came to a screeching halt. But, when I eat a healthy snack between meals, I actually lose much better.

I don't know why Dr. Aceves follows that procedure; however, I have always heard that you should eat several small meals (5-6) throughout the day to keep your body burning ... maybe he is concerned that people will start grazing .. I don't know -- I will have to ask him when next I see him.

I don't remember him telling me that (Dr. Aceves) but if he did, I ignored it because before surgery I lost 26 pounds eating the Medifast plan which is 6 meals a day. Granted each little meal is 110 cal. so not much of a meal. This way of eating makes much more sense to me. I think his advice is not to be eating carb-laden Snacks between meals or something, IDK. But I'm doing what I know will work for me; everyone will have to find their own method for their body.

Exactly, I have found what works for me and I am sticking with it. I just make sure my Snacks are healthy, not my old kind of snacks like chips. Now I have a piece of fruit, some celery, or maybe a piece of roast beef if I am low on Protein for the day.

I think it's the grazing issue. I think the surgeons, (such as my husband's who recommend 3 meals plus 2 Snacks, ) are concerned that you will be able to consume too many calories if you are just eating on and off all day and thereby, defeat your sleeve's purpose. Each person probably has to find what works for them. I think the surgeons are just trying to help people not intake too many calories in a day.

My program recommends 3 meals a day too. Though my surgeon says in the support group meetings that 3 meals and a snack should be fine.

I don't necessarily agree with it. I think it's a fine starting place for most people immediately pre-op, but then you have to see what happens. What happened to me is that I need to eat 1800 calories a day and I can't do that with only 3 meals. :thumbup1: And my surgeon did tell me to try having a morning snack when I was complaining about not getting my Protein in, so obviously he is okay with having Snacks in certain circumstances.

Hey all I'm coming in on the tail end here I think but I am 9 days out, on the "clear" liquid diet still although my doctor told me I can make thin whey shakes if I want and I have but not enjoyed them much. I am so hungry that I am uncomfortable and it scares me. I constantly have hunger pangs. I sip chicken and beef bullion as I did in the hospital. I tried a heavier clear chicken broth but it didn't sit well with me. I have been sipping on clear apple juice, Vitamin waters, and Water all day and at night too unless I'm asleep. I'm figuring that this is such a dramatic change for my body and brain and that is why it feels like my stomach is growling constantly. I never before felt fear of the possibility of not getting enough nutrition. I hope I can try the pureed food soon because this is so uncomfortable. If any one has any suggestions feel free to post please. :001_smile:

Did you do any kind of a pre-op diet? I think what you are describing - because I went through it too - is partially head-hunger. It's a big change, yes, to your body, but your stomach is only 20% still with you, so it's not as hungry as you perceive. It's more about knowing that you can't have food at the moment, well not food the way you remember food being, and for many people that is such a dramatic change they don't process it well. As long as you are sipping, sipping, sipping something, you're not really gut-wrenchingly hungry. Your head, however, and especially if food was the drug of choice for you, is what's suffering the most. You're missing your comforting friend, food, more than anything else. You are NOT going to starve or not be nourished, so don't worry about that. The fear you are feeling is the fear of giving up your friend, food. We all go through it, some more than others. This too will pass. On day 11 you can switch over to all liquids so you'll have a feeling of more fullness. Just get your Protein shakes in and then you'll feel more satisfied. In the meantime, keep drinking something you like so you stay hydrated and not empty. That's all I can think of to say.:001_smile:

Hey all I'm coming in on the tail end here I think but I am 9 days out, on the "clear" liquid diet still although my doctor told me I can make thin whey shakes if I want and I have but not enjoyed them much. I am so hungry that I am uncomfortable and it scares me. I constantly have hunger pangs. I sip chicken and beef bullion as I did in the hospital. I tried a heavier clear chicken broth but it didn't sit well with me. I have been sipping on clear apple juice, Vitamin waters, and Water all day and at night too unless I'm asleep. I'm figuring that this is such a dramatic change for my body and brain and that is why it feels like my stomach is growling constantly. I never before felt fear of the possibility of not getting enough nutrition. I hope I can try the pureed food soon because this is so uncomfortable. If any one has any suggestions feel free to post please. :sad0:

Thanks AJW...I was on a pre op diet yes for 4 weeks and I lost 15lbs. I had 2 whey shakes w/lowfat organic milk, and 1 meal for dinner. The last day before surgery I had 3 whey shakes only. I am not feeling too sad about missing food as I knew it although I do have some lingering thoughts. I am however, really truly feeling hunger, near the point of light headedness. It's late now but tomorrow I'll force down another few ounces of whey Protein. (I just can't stomach it now). I'll be seeing my surgeon first thing in the morning and I HOPE he has some suggestions. I'm also going to try to find some Protein Powder (unflavored unscented) if possible to add to my Fruit Drinks and broths etc. I am really really very hungry and feel I would kiss the spoon I lick off any decent puree food, veggie, meat etc! Give me baby food!! ANYTHING mushie I'll take it. I mean how many calories can I possibly be getting with unsweetened apple or cranberry juice and a scoop of whey in a thin almond milk shake? Thanks for the support I just don't want my resistance to run down I think tomorrow I'd better find a way to ingest MORE protein because alarm bells are going off in my head. Thanks again.

When I felt weak, and ran down, I drank some Gatorade. It was on my list of approved clears, and I felt immensely better. I didn't drink it often, but it was truly a lifesaver for me. I know there are carbs, and sugar in Gatorade, but it didn't sabotage my weightloss during the post-op diet stage. The only flavor I could drink was Orange.

When I felt weak, and ran down, I drank some Gatorade. It was on my list of approved clears, and I felt immensely better. I didn't drink it often, but it was truly a lifesaver for me. I know there are carbs, and sugar in Gatorade, but it didn't sabotage my weightloss during the post-op diet stage. The only flavor I could drink was Orange.

Thanks Tiff, I appreciate the tip. Tomorrow I will stock up on some and try to find some Protein powder to add to broths and other liquids. I just can't wait until I can eat soft pureed foods. I so appreciate your acknowledgement. I'm like wide awake because I'm so hungry but in the last hour I managed to get in around 22 oz of Water and Vitamin Water so at least I'm keeping myself hydrated.:001_smile:

I know I have days that I feel hungry all the time, and some days I can eat a lot more food without feeling over full.

however, my dr just recently put me on prilosec and Im noticing that I am not getting the urge to eat so much or so often.

Im sure some is boredom and some is just head hunger, but I still am battling the food demons.

Hi, I am making plans to have the sleeve, and am reading as many blogs as I can to understand what I will be going through. Does everyone do a pre-surgery diet? I have not had my first consultation yet so I have many simple questions.

Like: how often to you see your surgeon post op? I live 3 1/2 hours away from where I will have the surgery. Do you feel drained post surgery for the entire 6 weeks recovery? Do you have serious emotional sadness from the lost of eating food? I would think that is a Huge part of the process? Do you excercise at all during recovery? Have any of you experinced sagging skin from such a rapid weight loss? Is it true that if you excercise regularly that can be avoided? It seems to me that the "biggest Loser's" never have that problem, because they excercise constantly. So many questions....

Hi, I am making plans to have the sleeve, and am reading as many blogs as I can to understand what I will be going through. Does everyone do a pre-surgery diet? I have not had my first consultation yet so I have many simple questions.

Like: how often to you see your surgeon post op? I live 3 1/2 hours away from where I will have the surgery. Do you feel drained post surgery for the entire 6 weeks recovery? Do you have serious emotional sadness from the lost of eating food? I would think that is a Huge part of the process? Do you excercise at all during recovery? Have any of you experinced sagging skin from such a rapid weight loss? Is it true that if you excercise regularly that can be avoided? It seems to me that the "biggest Loser's" never have that problem, because they excercise constantly. So many questions....

From my experience and research the pre-surgery diet is required, I did it with little problem, but I can't speak for anyone else. I'm 10 days out since my surgery, I'm seeing my surgeon at 9:30 AM today. I am on a post surgery "clear" liquid diet at this stage I am taking in far too few calories and/or nutrition to feel emotional sadness about food. I am just so hungry that I can't wait (although I must), to start on "full" liquids which will allow me real pureed, and soft/mushie foods. From where I am now that will be a food heaven. I love/d food but I am thrilled that later on if all goes as it should, I will be able to enjoy it in the way I always wished I could, eating it slowly and savoring every bite. Excercise is essential for the body during weight loss, or under any circumstances for circulation. In the hospital I was forced to get out of my bed and walk walk walk through the hallways. I personally anticipate sagging skin, even with vigorous consistant excercise, but I am 54 years old. Depending upon a persons age, after large weight loss, excess skin is a reality, but there are cosmetic procedures available to fix that. Many of the "Bigest Losers" are young, 20's, 30's...but if you look closely the more mature "losers" have excess skin, neck arms...etc. The excercise that they do must really help to tone them however. Best to you in your journey. Your in the right place. Keep us informed. Peace.