Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The sleeve really is LIFE CHANGING

I think an important thing to be said is how life changing a VSG can be. I read on here and on OH about people wanting to eat more than their stomachs will allow and how long it takes to get to eat alittle more. The surgery I have chosen is meant to reduce the amount I am able to eat. I have to be accepting and even grateful for that. I have come to accept that I will never ever be able to eat 3 to 4 cups of anything at one time ever again. Should I want to? Yes its a grieving thing, a missing of that almighty drug of choice in the amounts that we have grown acustome to. You know the amount that made us huge and made everyone else comment behind our backs. But I dont think the food addicted mind will let some of us grasp what that change is really going to be like. It is permanent, that means forever! Sure we can eat around our sleeve like we could around the band. Grazing all day on high calorie mushies is wonderful weight gaining sabotager. Still there are those of us who cant fathom not being able to eat a plate full of a large meal like other non sleeve freinds and family can. We are limited to our 3 to 4 oz, sometimes a bit more if you have a bigger pouch and that is only after several long months out. If this is something that is difficult for a person's mind to grasp, they perhaps should rethink the sleeve surgery. I dont mean to be preachy but it isnt something that was talked about much before I had my sleeve and when it was, I wasnt able to make the connection at that time anymore than some pre surgery patients can now, so I feel it is worth mentioning again. I have an addiction to foods. One taste of some foods is too many and a thousand is never enough. I still grieve the loss of the ability to have all that my brain wants to eat but grieving will pass. I feel better about it every day. I would just like to reinforce the concept and purpose of the sleeve. It is to greatly control our intake. Forever. Ok, that is off my chest and alot of fat is off my ass as a result of this life change. There are soooo many positive life changing gifts we can accept from this surgery. I want to dwell on those for now.

I think WLS is like getting married or having kids. You can do what you can to prepare but nothing really prepares you until you do it.

Very true, and this is sooooo different for people like us, the very concept of life after the sleeve is something you have to live to grasp

Thanks Ruthi. I *feel* like I am ready for this change but as always you never know about something until you get there and when I am there I can't go back.

I beat a smoking addiction. I can beat a food addiction. I just know it.

Ruthi--I can't thank you enough for the message above that you posted. I have surgery on the 24th of September. I am EXTREMELY nervous, however I know after being overweight for about 18 years now...I MUST do something now at my young age of 36. I worry so much about the head games that I will have to deal with still, but I do know that my God is much bigger than those games. I will be doing a lot of praying and alot of posting on here afterwards. I hope to start my blog soon so that I can be accountable and maybe help someone else. Again, thank you so much. You are truly a blessing to all of us!

Ruthi it was really nice eating with you and the others over the past weekend. It's hard to eat around others who don't understand.

I know we all wanted to eat more of those nachos and it was a good thing the show was calling us so we didn't have to think about it much longer. It was nice being with someone who understood!

as the old saying goes...."if nothing changes, NOTHING CHANGES"

this is hard and i guess we all need some adjustment time. there is lots to learn and training to be done.

Ange

Daisy, I know how you feel, I remember those nachos too and like you I wanted to eat alot more, I know we all did. I like having people around me that understand too.

And ty for the kind words Pchefbeka

My surgery was this past Monday, and this made me cry a bit! :crying: I think only over weight people can understand and you said all that I feel!!!! Thank you! Wise words to live a healthier thinner me by!!!!:thumbup:

My friend who does not know I had surgery keeps inviting me over for dinner. It's difficult to try to keep explaining why I eat so very little. Good thing I always bring my dog. I sneak bites to her under the table.

I think I will decline her next invitation to dinner. It's difficult to watch her family keep eating.

Lol Ruthi. It's amazing when you watch the other people pack it in. She always tells me I've lost enough weight and I should eat a little more. I've had experiences where I have sat there and slimed for an hour and was so uncomfortable. I always bring the dog. It's quite helpful.

Eating out was always so hard for me when I had the band. I am just now getting to eating food out in public with the sleeve with the kids. (I had the grilled chicken ceasar at McDonalds the other night.....and 1/4 of a small fries....the kids kept sticking them in my mouth....really!)

I must say I still have the issue with what to order..... I hate spending 9-15 $ at a restaurant just for me..... or getting a small onion ring when I can eat 2-3 if that!. So I keep sticking to the cheap Soup or cottage cheese or potatoes or vegies....... or

I think it is the we have so many kids....... I just cant waste the $$$ when I won't eat it.

I also had my wisdom teeth out this week! SO I am double not wanting to eat anything! I just wish bread didn't go down so well...... but I can always cheat and drink some with it....it swells and stops me up...... my way to make the sleeve "clamp down"

and yes.... I could eat around it.....though in some ways it is easier...others it is harder....I am just happy that I am back on the loosing side again!

Jane, I am the same way. We had pretty much stopped going to nicer restaurants because I felt guilty ordering a $20.00 or more meal and eating just a couple of bites of it. We don't have that kind of money for me to do that. However, we have since figured out a plan. My daughter and I pretty much like exactly the same things. And she seldom is able to eat all of her meal. So, now we do go out again, and I just ask for a small salad like what they serve with the meal. I have a few bites of it and a few bites of whatever my daughter orders and am completely satisfied.