Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone have info on Dr Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras?

Yes he does have a lawsuit against him. If anyone wants to know more about it, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with someone who knows the family.

It seems to me that you are determined to explain away all the negative information you find about Alvarez, andi. When it comes to Mexican doctors, some have excellent reputations and some have squirrelly ones (and some have outright horrible ones). Why keep a squirrelly one on your list when there are plenty of other doctors in Mexico who don't have these sorts of complaints against them?

For example (in alphabetical order): Aceves, Joya, Rumblaut and Ungston.

When I was making my list, I crossed off any doctor who didn't seem completely trustworthy. It's my body that's being cut into and my life that is on the line and I'm not willing to give any surgeon the "benefit of the doubt". It's not like taking a chance on a new book or movie. Only the top of the top were acceptable to me. IMO Alvarez is merely competent and no where near the top of the top. He got crossed off my list early on, in fact.

I find your reply insulting. First of all I already told you the reasons he remains on my list. ~$1000 (airfare for myself and mother) might not be a lot to you, but it is to my family. Also, he has performed far more VSGs than many of the surgeons in my area charging 3k+ more. I have not book a date nor paid any deposits. I am RESEARCHING. But yes, I do believe there are two sides to every story. If you think I'm trying to explain away everything fine. I like to investigate both sides and keep an open mind until I feel I have adequate information to pass a judgment.

You have provided me, so far, the only two negative posts about him that I can find. And really the first one was not a complaint about the doctor himself. The fact that there are 200 or so positive reviews of him does carry weight. I am not writing these incidents off completely, but if I merrily crossed surgeons off a list because I found one negative I may never find one! I think its squirrly to not find ONE negative about any surgeon. More than that, every patient of every one of these doctors does not post. There maybe be all kinds of stuff from every doctor out there. I may never know and I don't really trust the surgeon's office to be completely honest about those types of things when asked.

If you think I am somehow incompetent or don't take my health seriously because I will not jump to cross a surgeon off my list over one questionable review and hearsay from you then I guess that's your problem. I asked you to provide me with more solid information not just that you've heard things...plenty of things. That's fine, but I would like more than your word on that. You haven't even used this surgeon. The way you present your information does indeed sound like catty office gossip at best and scare tactics at worst, though I can't see what you would have to gain.

Bottom line, if I absolutely felt I needed to, I would find a way to come up with the extra money to get plane tickets to go elsewhere. However I am not at that point yet. I don't understand why it bothers you that I am questioning your posts. I never said you were LYING I asked for more information and verification.

Wow, you certainly inferred a lot from my post that wasn't even remotely there.

I noticed you haven't taken me up on my offer to put you in touch with someone who has more info about this doctor. That tells me all I need to know.

Well, my very first post in this asked you to provide me information. I guess that could have included a private message to me giving me that information right off that bat. But you didn't and I do believe I mentioned your other posts regarding the lawsuit/deaths.

If you are soooo concerned about people not choosing this doctor why not be helpful up front. I did ask. I thought it was obvious that I would want that information. If public welfare is you biggest concern by all means send it on over. Does that tell you anything?

Does that tell you anything?

The way I see it is: you asked for info on this doctor. I told you what I had read. You then accused me of being a gossip while simultaneously demanding I provide you with all sorts of information and "proof". I ignored your accusations and your tone and provided you with a few links that were easy for me to find (Because, frankly, I don't care nearly as much as you want to believe I do -- certainly not enough to do your research for you or spend hours trying to find all the links that are out there.) I also offered to put you in touch with someone who could give you more info. You then pooh poohed the links I provided, made more demands and never PMed me to get the name of the person who could provide more info.

My conclusion is that you are determined to go to this doctor and will continue to spit and hiss at me if I provide any more info. Therefore, I'm out...

I asked for information to provide proof to what you said originally. I did not ask you to do research for me. If you are going to imply that you know things or say negative things about doctors that others are trying to learn about then I think it is responsible and mature to provide information to support your claims. You could have very easily messaged me at seeing my very first post and given me any contact info you had out of true concern of someone using this doctor. I specifically mentioned the law suit and you so kindly provided me a link about hospital beds and sheets. OK. Thanks. What would be more important to you?

The fact that you basically told me that I was "giving the benefit of the doubt" (if anything I say innocent until proven guilty) and implied that I did not care as much as you about who cuts into my body while demanding I contact you even though I ASKED YOU TO SEND ME INFO! What does that mean to you exactly?

The fact that you are obviously angry that I dare ask you to support your statements so I can verify on my own is apparent by your continued refusal to show genuine concern, send me the message, and be done with it. I shouldn't have to ask twice or beg. That alone shows me you care very little for the well being of others.

Either you want people to make informed decisions and are willing to give them information or you don't. I have done web searches and searched the oh forum for information for info about the lawsuit. Can't find it. I asked, you were not very helpful. In fact, you purposely withheld that specific info from your first reply to my post! You didn't even have to post a reply, you could have PMd from the start and you didn't! Great lot you are. I would not expect this behavior from a grown woman.

Maybe I will use him, maybe I won't, but I will certainly not make a decsion as if I were buying a dvd or a book. Thanks for being so charming and helpful.

How about using the private message option to argue? I just don't like listening to this stuff.

Thanks.

Wow, a lot transpired during the short time I was offline - I agree with Cajun - take your sparring to PM or agree to call a truce. This forum is for support of one another, not for a "he said/she said" open debate.

Hey, I said "I'm out" and I haven't responded to the latest tirade and don't plan to.

The original poster asked for information. Information/links were supplied. It is up to them as to how much to value the information. They need to put it into the equation when choosing a surgeon.

You are defending a surgeon you don't have personal information on too. Nobody told you not to use him. You need to weigh all input and value it for yourself as to what is important to you. It sounds as though you have already made your decision because you are being very defensive. Many people have had good outcomes with him, but wouldn't you want all the information available when making that decision.

Hey, I said "I'm out" and I haven't responded to the latest tirade and don't plan to.

I know, thanks Mac for not continuing to battle. Appreciate it!

Hi Andi,

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Alvarez on Dec 8th. By this point I have done the research and feel confident in my decision. I had read about the experience of the woman who stated that she was threatened by Dr. Alvarez. However, also integrated in her statement was the fact that she her depression had returned and she was having to see a therapist again. For me, I pretty much had to disregard some of her rantings because it seemed she had other and previous issues she was dealing with. Have you come to a decision on your surgery?

I had VSG surgery with Dr. Alvarez in October. I got home and two days later had to be admitted to the hospital where they found a leak and had to have surgery to put a tube in my stomach to drain the leak. I was being fed through IV. I was released three weeks later from that hospital. I was still very week and could hardly walk. I think they released me because my insurance wouldn't pay because it was from complications from the VSG which the insurance didn't cover. So I am at my brothers for two days as weak as could be, and then they took me to another hospital where they found abcesses and more leaks. I had to get more tubes in my belly to drain and and a stent to see if the leak could close on its on. I was hospitalized being fed through IV for five weeks, and I finally came home December 18, 2009. I was in the hospital approximately 2 1/2 months all together from this leak complication, and I almost died. Today, they are still watching it because I may not be out of the woods yet, but right now I am back at work, and getting stronger each day, so I think that's a good sign. But, regrettably, while in the hospital I missed out on some very, what should have been, high moments in my life, like my first grandbaby's baby shower, and Thanksgiving with my family at home, and almost Christmas. It has been a long recovery. I was 272 when I started pre-op diet and now I am 216, so I lost alot weight, but almost died doing it. To everyone considering VSG, many doctors tell you the risk is less than 1% that anything could go wrong, but I believe the risk is a lot more, but they put it on like some sales campaign. When I was hospitalized, I was told these leaks occur quite frequently and some people have died from them. I am just lucky I made it through. I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever you decide, but I strongly believe you should weigh all options and research this very carefully if you should decide to have any weight loss surgery.

DebbyLuv

Happy New Year!:(