Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should have added this disclaimer: IF you're an athlete burning through lots of calories daily, THEN your body can handle more Protein than the 30 grams. If you're NOT an athlete and are doing just regular exercise or mild exercise, 30 grams is about it at one sitting.

Hi There, I've heard conflicting theories about the 30grams of Protein thing. I have a friend who is an Olympian Gold Medalist and he said it's a myth. I've researched it and seen both sides of the debate. Confusing isn't it?:thumbup:

It's still a myth even if you aren't an athlete. I have done tons of research on this and there is not ONE clinical study that supports the idea that you can't eat more than X amount of Protein in one sitting. But there are several that support the idea that any Protein you eat will be absorbed.

The American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgeons says the same:

From "ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient"

"One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional literature, there is no scientific basis for this claim."

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

Two articles about it:

30 Grams of Protein In One Meal Rule | Naked Nutrition Network - Health, Diet, and Fitness Hub

30 grams of protein per meal myth - the truth about how much protein per meal

I'll tell you what: if I eat more than say 36 grams of Protein at once, it gives me diarrhea; same with my husband, so maybe it depends on the person more than the protein grams.

Surgery was August 11, 2009

Highest weight 281 lbs.

Day of Surgery 276 lbs

Current weight 248 lbs

Doing awesome hotchocolate - keep it up!

A stall is supposed to be two weeks in a row without appreciable weight loss. Some people say it has to be 3-4 weeks to be a stall, but early out I think that's a bit high of a standard.

A lot of people say they are in a stall if they don't lose for a few days in a row. But that is NOT A STALL. It's just Water weight masking real weight loss.

Oh ok. I have not lost any weight since Thursday. It is silly but I feel anxious about it. I don't want to have gone through all this for 12 lbs.

I am sick of clears. 9 day down, 12 days to go. I will never eat broth or Jello happily again.

Hey there, Awesome Augusts!

This is my first time to check in after my surgery on Aug. 31. I'm doing really well. I'm already in ONEderland with just over 10 lbs. lost!

I awoke in recovery to learn that my spleen was removed. Not 100% sure why this happened, but apparently my surgeon knicked something and I was losing quite a bit of blood. His options were then removing my spleen laparoscopically or opening me up Frankenstein-style. I'm fine with the spleen removal. I'll just need a couple immunizations. Now I'm without a gallbladder and a spleen. Are there any other unnecessary organs they can take out?

I spent one night in the hospital, as planned, and loved the hourly morphine. I had no trouble making up for the blood I had lost in surgery and was walking the halls right away.

Since Tuesday I've been recuperating in my comfy couch nest in front of the TV. My doctor didn't have a specific Clear liquids phase, just full liquids for 3 weeks. I am loving popsicles more than anything! The flavor gets rid of the nasty hydrocodone taste, and they are just fun to eat!

I'll see the doctor on Tuesday and then fly back home to Atlanta that night. Work on Wednesday will be tough! Luckily I have the kind of job where I sit on my butt, and no one will notice if I put my head down for a few minutes.

Hi travelchick, thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing. Wow, they took your spleen? I have never heard of that happening before during VSG surgery.

At any rate, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Who was your doctor and where did you have this done? The doctor should not have "knicked" anything. If you were in the states, you might want to speak to an attorney about medical malpractice issues.

Hey there, Awesome Augusts!

This is my first time to check in after my surgery on Aug. 31. I'm doing really well. I'm already in ONEderland with just over 10 lbs. lost!

I awoke in recovery to learn that my spleen was removed. Not 100% sure why this happened, but apparently my surgeon knicked something and I was losing quite a bit of blood. His options were then removing my spleen laparoscopically or opening me up Frankenstein-style. I'm fine with the spleen removal. I'll just need a couple immunizations. Now I'm without a gallbladder and a spleen. Are there any other unnecessary organs they can take out?

I spent one night in the hospital, as planned, and loved the hourly morphine. I had no trouble making up for the blood I had lost in surgery and was walking the halls right away.

Since Tuesday I've been recuperating in my comfy couch nest in front of the TV. My doctor didn't have a specific Clear liquids phase, just full liquids for 3 weeks. I am loving popsicles more than anything! The flavor gets rid of the nasty hydrocodone taste, and they are just fun to eat!

I'll see the doctor on Tuesday and then fly back home to Atlanta that night. Work on Wednesday will be tough! Luckily I have the kind of job where I sit on my butt, and no one will notice if I put my head down for a few minutes.

Hi Travel Chick! I looked at my surgical paperwork and listed is possible removal of spleen and gall bladder. My doctor had discussed with me that other organs being damaged was a risk of surgery in such a tight space with lots of extra abdominal fat to complicate things. Don't worry. Lots of people live without their spleen no problem. At least you can't get speen cancer now.

Glad you are home and doing well!

/ Surgery has many inherent risks, including death. Everyone has to sign a form saying they understand that, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's OK for a doctor to knick an organ which caused so much blood loss they had to remove the organ. Sorry, I worked in the medical malpractice field for a long time so maybe I'm just sensitive to the topic. It still wouldn't hurt to discuss with an attorney just to see if there's any issue or no issue. If you went to Mexico for surgery, however, that's different; I wouldn't know who to talk to about such things. I'm just glad I had Dr. Aceves as my surgeon and had no misadventures.

I had a first time experience today and am just flumoxed as to what to think...

So I was walking my son home from his second day of Kindergarten, and I heard someone call out, "Hey!" So naturally I turned my head in that direction. Someone from inside the house yelled, "Walk more, you're fat!":thumbdown:

I just kept walking, but it completely ruined my walk home with my son. I'd never admit to that guy that he ruined any part of my day, but I'm just so bugged by this. I've never had anyone be openly rude to me like that. Of course, he wasn't brave enough to say it to my face... But I couldn't respond because I had both of my small children with me.:thumbup1:

I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of such an assh*le! Probably some teenager thinking he's cool doing that. There's no excuse for some people's behavior. You should have said "Yes, I'm fat, but what's your excuse for being a RUDE ass?" Oh well, nothing you can do now except think to yourself that you've made the big change to no longer be fat, but that it will take some time and you're OK with that. He'll get his when he smarts off to the wrong person and they flatten him.:thumbup1: