Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after the Sleeve....

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering...is there anything you can't eat after getting the sleeve?

I've also heard if you are a sweet eater the sleeve is not the right surgery for you. Not sure what this means. Does this mean if you eat sweets every day?? or occationally??

Thanks in advance for the help :thumbup:

I've also heard if you are a sweet eater the sleeve is not the right surgery for you. Not sure what this means.

I think that's completely untrue. The conventional wisdom is that, if you are a sweet eater, you should get bypass because you'll have dumping to keep you in line. I think that's dumb. :tongue_smilie:

The thing is, only about half the people who get bypass dump. For some, the threat of dumping is enough and it keeps them in line. But not everyone is the same. For some people, they count on dumping and when it doesn't happen, they start cheating like crazy. Some people don't do well with negative reinforcement either.

Also, as your question points out, what does it even mean to be a "sweet eater"? Most people either prefer crunchy/salty foods or sweet foods. Just because you prefer sweets to, say, chips, doesn't mean you will fail with every surgery except bypass. After all, fruits and vegetables are sweet!

Many people report after WLS of any type that they have lost a lot of their tastes for sweet things anyway. For many, that's enough for sweets not to be a big problem for them.

I think that bypass is something to be considered if you are the kind of person who binges on sweet junk food and you think that having the threat of dumping will keep you in line. Otherwise....

I have always been a big sweet eater and that was not me at all. Even pre-op, I could do things like have one piece of chocolate and be done. One piece didn't make me binge on sweets. I also don't do well with threats for motivation. I would definitely be the kind of person who would constantly flirt with disaster trying to eat something that was on the borderline of making me dump.

So I found bypass to be completely unappealing and I have done quite well with my sleeve. I hardly eat sweets at all, but I can if I want to and that's important to me.

Thank you so much for your response. I am very much like you in that I would push the envelope on the dumping thing. That kind of motivation does not work for me at all.

I am hearing some great things about the sleeve and almost wish I had known all this last year when I opted for the band. Oh well..live and learn. I'm off to do more research but again, thank you SOOOO much for taking time to answer my questions. You have been a great help :tongue_smilie:

I am really big on sweets. It hasn't been a real problem since I got my sleeve though. I get so full on small amounts, I feel to full to snack on anything. I usually have a sf fudgesicle sometime in the evening though.

They say that about the lapband too and I really dont get it. YOu could just as easily sabotage weight loss with salami and cheeses or chips and nuts as you could with sweet things!

We all had WLS because we werent succesful fighting our eating issues without help! I think the only thing that would really worry me with surgery and it being effective is truly disordered eating - like true binge eating and bulimia etc. Things that even physical discomfort wont fix because they're not really physical problems.

Excessive appetite for foods that arent the most healthy - that's part body, part head. Any surgery will help the body part of that equation. And with any surgery, you have to do the head part yourself.