Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapbander HERE!!!

I think I'm the only lapbander who comes to this site regularly. So if you have any questions about lapband, just let me know.

I'll give it to you straight, the good the bad, the ugly, the pretty??

I'm also Banded. I have the 4cc band- but hopefully soon to be sleeved!!!!

I think I'm the only lapbander who comes to this site regularly. So if you have any questions about lapband, just let me know.

I'll give it to you straight, the good the bad, the ugly, the pretty??

Steve is our HONORARY sleeve brother.

Jacqui (Jachut) has been coming regularly too. She is one of the few people I know that's never had any problems who has had her band for quite awhile.

This is my proudest moment. Maybe I couldn't have a sleeve, but I can still be a sleeve brother!!!!!!!

I'm at 6 months. The honeymoon is over. But, I have to make this band work until they start approving sleeves. Then I WILL be revised.

My wife ony has two more days until we get to Mexico!!!! She is getting excited now.

I really think people like Jachut aren't likely to develop problems, or are much less likely. She works out a lot and keeps the band at a reasonable restriction. She has also had it long enough, that if her body didn't react well to it, it probably would have showed up already.

My biggest problem with my band is morning is very very tight, lunch is a little too tight, and dinner is a little to loose. I overcome, by eating slim fast for Breakfast or yogurt with Protein added, lunch is softer things like cheese and Protein Bars, and dinner I can eat just about anything. It works, and I'm happy, but long term....I don't kid myself.

This is my proudest moment. Maybe I couldn't have a sleeve, but I can still be a sleeve brother!!!!!!!

I'm at 6 months. The honeymoon is over. But, I have to make this band work until they start approving sleeves. Then I WILL be revised.

My wife ony has two more days until we get to Mexico!!!! She is getting excited now.

I really think people like Jachut aren't likely to develop problems, or are much less likely. She works out a lot and keeps the band at a reasonable restriction. She has also had it long enough, that if her body didn't react well to it, it probably would have showed up already.

My biggest problem with my band is morning is very very tight, lunch is a little too tight, and dinner is a little to loose. I overcome, by eating slim fast for Breakfast or yogurt with Protein added, lunch is softer things like cheese and Protein Bars, and dinner I can eat just about anything. It works, and I'm happy, but long term....I don't kid myself.

You know, I could change that to honorary sleeve Jaf-FA if you want! HA!

I feel for you with a band. I realize you are doing okay now but the restriction issues get old. I sure don't miss having to deal with it.

I never had that tight in the mornings that I've heard from so many other people.

I was too tight and didn't even know it. I thought everything was fine until my dinner started coming back up in my sleep at 3am. I never could understand why it never felt stuck.

I dont kid myself either - I know that in the future something could go wrong. I absolutely do not expect to have this band in me when I'm 70. They just dont last that long. But I knew that going in.

You know, I think the markedly different culture with regard to managing bands is a big factor. Here, its just simply not viewed the same way as what you guys are used to. Half a cup isnt the goal. A low carb diet isnt the goal. The view is that you have it loose enough to eat all foods and that you have to do most of the work in terms of avoiding foods that you shouldnt eat. Its a really really fine balance between restriction that allows you to eat well but not overeat and too little restriction that means you just arent getting the help from your band that you need.

Because of this, I think much fewer people are good band candidates than the number of people who are actually banded. My band is loose enough that I do have to constantly work to not eat poorly. Although habit has taken over now after four years and that job is much easier, I can eat all sorts of bad foods and I can do things like eat dinner and then dessert if I have a small wait in between. I make it up by exercising, I have to do what I do to fuel the amount that I still eat.

I'm happy with that. I found something I love in running and I have no reliance on willpower to do it, its a self motivating and rewarding activity for me, so I have no doubt that I will keep it up and can keep my own personal calorie balance in control.

But I really think that many of the problems with the band - not everyone of course - but many are simply cases of people being too tight. Our standard definition of too tight is not really accurate, I think "too tight" comes way before people realise it.

But if you view it that way, you're left with a tool that is of really very limited use for all but a small proportion of people. Most people truly NEED the restriction to lose weight.

Boy, I think you really hit it on the head.

And for the reasons you state, I think way too many people get the band, that won't do well with it. It just isn't the miracle cure, that a lot of people want.

I will say, it has helped me a lot, and I don't kid myself, I work for the band, it doesn't do the work for me!!!! It just doesn't work out that way. Too bad it doesn't though!!!

A big reason why I didn't get the band is because of the restriction issues I saw other people having with it. I really wanted hunger control above everything else and that seems elusive for some.

Btw, I'm weird when it comes to restriction. I can eat anything in the morning, but by evening I'm tighter and have to be more careful with chewing!

Hi Macmadame, I used to read your posts at LBT. I'm getting ready to get the conversion from band to sleeve and I've noticed that you're very happy with your sleeve.

I just read a quick post that suggested there may be a correlation between the sleeve surgery and some cancer. Do you know anything about that? thanks!

The last post on this thread was 9 months ago. You might want to try a private message to get a hold of her.

I'm not sure if she posts here anymore or not.