Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of using Dr. Aceves in Mexico

I was wondering to those who went to another city, state or country for their sleeve surgery, did you ever wonder what would happen if your surgery wasnt successful or if something horrible happened? How did you handle those thoughts? I guess its kinda scary to have these thoughts and know that you will be far away from loved ones.

I know, im a worry wart or are these thoughts normal? I have been considering all of the what-ifs. Im sure its pre surgery anxiety talking......

It is perfectly normal to worry before! I can't tell you how many anxiety attacks I had before I left...and I had less then 2 weeks from when I scheduled my surgery. I worried what would happen to my family, that I did not want to die, blah blah blah....honestly I finally had to just say "you will be fine" everytime I started to worry during the day. At night...well that was much easier lol, for that time before I left I took tylenol pm everynight! I never laid in bed worrying. But don't worry, once I got down there I knew I was worrying for nothing, it is wonderful!

BTW...my family brought up almost every point that yours did, just as adamitly too. I finally said "I am done, leave off or don't call me 'til I come home!". It was the last I heard any bad comments because each one knew I was serious. :001_tongue:

I was wondering to those who went to another city, state or country for their sleeve surgery, did you ever wonder what would happen if your surgery wasnt successful or if something horrible happened? How did you handle those thoughts? I guess its kinda scary to have these thoughts and know that you will be far away from loved ones.

I know, im a worry wart or are these thoughts normal? I have been considering all of the what-ifs. Im sure its pre surgery anxiety talking......

When you read this again after your surgery you'll smile because the minute you arrive at Almater Hospital, you'll let out a sigh of relief. As an RN, you're going to be amazed at how efficient things are done there, how clean the place is, and the amazing care you receive. You see the surgeon, ast. surgeon, and his RN team 3 times a day! When does that happen in the U.S.?

Having never had surgery is a plus for you as it's a lot less work for the surgeon and a quicker surgery for you.

Its quite normal to feel that way. I had the very same thoughts because nobody in my family knew I was there. I felt that if something terrible happened it wouldnt be any worse than waiting to afford the procedure here and risking a much more devistating problem like heart attack or stroke which would cause them more anquish. I felt confident that I was doing the right thing considering the surgeons track record. I feel confident that the anxiety you are feeling now will turn to excitement as mine did.

Thanks, its good to know that im not GOING CRAZY! I guess, im normal then. :001_tongue:

When you read this again after your surgery you'll smile because the minute you arrive at Almater Hospital, you'll let out a sigh of relief. As an RN, you're going to be amazed at how efficient things are done there, how clean the place is, and the amazing care you receive. You see the surgeon, ast. surgeon, and his RN team 3 times a day! When does that happen in the U.S.?

Having never had surgery is a plus for you as it's a lot less work for the surgeon and a quicker surgery for you.

I dont think that ever happens in the U.S. LOL

I had a "virgin" stomach so to speak and my entire surgery took 1 hour 7 minutes according to Dr. Aceves, and that included repairing a sliding hiatal hernia!

Thanks, its good to know that im not GOING CRAZY! I guess, im normal then. :001_tongue:

Well, now, we never said THAT ... Just teasing you -- if you're going crazy with your thoughts, so did the rest of us. :lol0::lol0::lol0:

I had a "virgin" stomach so to speak and my entire surgery took 1 hour 7 minutes according to Dr. Aceves, and that included repairing a sliding hiatal hernia!

Wow, you've lost 20.2 lbs already! Great job! I cant wait until im on the loosers bench. LOL.

I would love to loose 10-15 lbs now but it seems that my body just doesnt want to loose anymore. I weighed over 300 lbs about 2-3 years ago and I have been stuck at this weight for about a year (~200 lbs now). Everything I do, I cant seem to loose anymore. Does anyone have any pre-surgical diet ideas.

I typically follow weight watchers or your typical high Protein low carb diet but no results anymore! :sad0:

Anyway congratulations on your success!

Dr. Aceves requires anyone with a BMI of 40 or greater to follow a one week pre-op diet. It requires you to restrict carbs to 30 grams/day. You can eat all the lean Protein you desire.

Oregon Daisy,

What phone service do you use? I am wondering if my verizon will work in Mexicali.

thanks.

Verizon will work; however, you'll be charged roaming if you don't get an international plan before you go -- also, if you go up to the top floor of the hospital, you can sometimes get a US signal and there's no charge - just be sure your phone doesn't say "roaming" -- also you can walk over to the fence between the borders (it's not far from the hospital - you can see it) and sometimes get a US signal there, too. It's very iffy -- if you know for a fact you want to use your phone and send/receive texts, then you're better off to call verizon and get an international plan -- you can cancel it as soon as you get home and you'll only be charged for the days you used it. I think if you do a search for verizon, you'll find posts with the exact information.

I have been researching banding for about 1 yr. It was only the other night that I read a post somewhere that made the statement "if you are a self pay pt then you owe it to yourself to investigate the gastric sleeve as the band will really be expensive to "upkeep" after surgery with fills and visits. What made you decide to go with the sleeve if you didn't have the band first?

thanks for your input.