Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is there any restriction when you first get a band?

I know this may vary from person to person. But I was wondering about the people who lose a lot of weight without any fills- a few people it seems don't even need a fill for years. Is this primarily just because of diet? Or does the average person feel some restriction just from the band being in place without any fills?

I had some restriction with an empty band for awhile. But I knew that I needed a fill once that restriction loosened up and I was getting hungry 2 hours after eating. But I've read posts from people here that are very sensitive to their bands and have their appetites dimmed with very little saline in their bands.

I'm a little over 4 months post op and I have no fills. I think there is restriction. I can go 4 hours on my band alloted amounts with no problem. I still count every calorie that is put in my mouth. I don't see it as a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Gone are the unealthy fast food meals. Now it's all fresh veggies and lean Protein.< /p>

I went two months with no fills. I agree with the previous comment that it really is a lifestyle change. My wife and I are using My Fitness Pal and always check a meal before we eat to see what the impact is going to be rather than saying afterwards, gee I wish I hadn't eaten all that......

I went a few months, my doc attributed it to swelling from the surgery. 9 months out I am at 9cc in a 14cc band. I actually had the green zone for about 6 weeks but then all the sudden found myself starving all the time so more saline had to go in.

We tend to focus on the mechanical function of the band but in addition to affecting volume it also affects body chemistry like metabolism and satiation response. For those if use who don't need a lot of fill (I'm at 3.33/10cc) our weight problems were more likely biochemical so we may not be as dependent on the physical reduction of stomach capacity.

I for instance always ate healthier and generally exercised more than my thinner friends but could never lose weight; post surgery my efforts actually accomplish something.

I was banded with 3cc's but I needed a fill 3 weeks after my surgery, fortunately my surgeon told me to schedule it as soon as I felt better. Two days before my first fill was due, I was starving like nobody's business! I've lost a great deal of weight, but that is after 3 fills. I'm glad I got them at the time I did, I was in the green zone after the 3rd one and haven't needed another one since.

At four days out, if I didn't have bandages on my stomach and some lively gas, I wouldn't believe I'd had a band placed. I've only been on full liquids, but I haven't felt anything I'd recognize as restriction.

We tend to focus on the mechanical function of the band but in addition to affecting volume it also affects body chemistry like metabolism and satiation response. For those if use who don't need a lot of fill (I'm at 3.33/10cc) our weight problems were more likely biochemical so we may not be as dependent on the physical reduction of stomach capacity.

I for instance always ate healthier and generally exercised more than my thinner friends but could never lose weight; post surgery my efforts actually accomplish something.

Interesting. Would you mind expounding on this? It's the first time I've heard of biochemical changes caused by the band. It's definitely something I hope for. I have no problems keeping active and I eat fairly healthy relatively (vegan, but definitely too many processed foods). There are times though when I just physically feel like it's impossible to eat enough. Not sure what that has to do with. Chemistry, emotions, huge stretchy cavernous stomach chasm- probably a nice mix of all three :) I only expected the band to address the last one.

Interesting. Would you mind expounding on this? It's the first time I've heard of biochemical changes caused by the band. It's definitely something I hope for. I have no problems keeping active and I eat fairly healthy relatively (vegan' date=' but definitely too many processed foods). There are times though when I just physically feel like it's impossible to eat enough. Not sure what that has to do with. Chemistry, emotions, huge stretchy cavernous stomach chasm- probably a nice mix of all three :) I only expected the band to address the last one.[/quote']

Basically the chemical receptors towards the top of your stomach are triggered more quickly so you brain and lymphatic system tell your body to start processing the food sooner this effects insulin release as well as your "satiation" or sense of being full. Since your body starts digesting sooner but doesn't have as much food to process it theoretically taps into your stored reserves (fat) sooner.

That whole complex chemical reaction is also (again theoretically) why some people are ravenous after exercising but others lose their appetite entirely (their body is already full after tapping into the fat cells).

This doesn't get talked about much because

a) it's complicated

B) we don't have the science to test it definitively yet

c) the specifics are going to be very individualized on a person to person basis

I know this may vary from person to person. But I was wondering about the people who lose a lot of weight without any fills- a few people it seems don't even need a fill for years. Is this primarily just because of diet? Or does the average person feel some restriction just from the band being in place without any fills?

Hi anna. I'm one of those folks you are referring to. I was banded on January 14th and have had no fills and as you can see by my ticker, have been very successful with the weight loss. I can't really explain it except to say that band sized portions satisfy me. While I feel hungry before meals, I'm never ravenous and at times, I can go hours without eating if I'm busy with something else. While I do make choices all the time about what I eat and how much I eat, I can tell you this is not just willpower. I truly find that 1,000 or so calories daily are enough for me. My surgeon can't explain it either. She said I'm totally off the charts and my experience is very atypical. Hope that helps some.