Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant we all just get along ?!

Question...the "Rules"...I'm curious as to what people feel the rules are, and why do they follow them?

Do you follow certain rules to loose weight, or do you follow certain rules because that is the only way you can get along with the band and what it does....

Everyone is different, because everyone's band is different....many people drink Water while eating, because they can...that's not a opinion, that's their experience...I cannot drink while eating, because it will come back up, cause pain, and undoubtedly stretch my pouch because I quickly overfilled it...that's my experience, not my opionion...

Carbonated drinks, crushing pills, lunch meat?....some do because they can, some don't because they cannot....and some have no clue because they're just learning to fly....

Eat an entire pizza right after surgery?? Some do it because they can....but start learneing the rules because some day, like me, you will not be able to get through one single slice...I have not eaten pizza in over 2 years...NOT because I was told not to and it was against any rule that I know of, again other than weight watchers.....it's not my opinion you should not eat pizza, (unless we're talking jenny Craig or something)..it's my experience that living with the band I cannot eat Pizza....rules or no rules....

No 2 people are alike because no 2 bands can be adjusted and identical with one's body....but it is my experience, not my opinon, if you want to progress with the band, then you need to learn the rules because that is the only way you can live with the band.

I read statements here all the time and I wonder where in the world did they learn that? They say doing this will casue that...I want to ask them HOW does that happen exactly????...and have you ever had that happen to you? That you can say it's true?

But, I keep my mouth shut, and ignore the pseudo experts with little or no first hand experience...I even blocked a few....

Some rules come from the lap band manufacturer such as 'no carbonated drinks', some rules come from different doctors, and some are just from different lapband people's experience.

It does seem odd that some 'rules' are more flexible than others. Although the lap band manufacturer states, NO CARBONATED drinks, it seems to be one that many lap banders break. I also can't remember the last time someone said that carbonated drinks dilated their pouch or hurt their band at any time. This is where anecdotal experience comes in. As for drinking with rules that's a pretty universal one and it's simply to not flush food through your pouch as well as not strecthing it. I've never heard of anyone breaking that rule without eventually suffering the consequences. The no NSAID's is to prevent ulcers because the pills stay in your pouch and pretty much eat holes. That's why most docs if asked will allow liquid NSAID's like motrin. The bread, rice, Pasta rule is more based on individual tolerances and is also tied to the no carb rule. Many people have a hard time eating bread, rice, and Pasta and just find it easier to cut out of their diets but this isn't really a 'rule' it's more just good advice. This goes along with the no carb rule. Since most bandsters avoid bread, rice, and pasta because they are difficult to eat with the band it makes choosing a low carb diet easy to follow to lose weight. By no means is that a rule but just a good idea with the band. Many people choose different routes though and find their own success.

I think a lot of the misunderstandings that happen here happen when people quote personal opinions as rules or don't realize that some rules are more flexible than others. For example, I drink soda and I know I'm breaking that rule. I would NEVER advise another bandster to drink soda. It's my choice to break that rule and if I have problems because of it then that is on my head. However, the drinking with meals one is a no-brainer. I've known too many people that have dilated their pouches and sabotaged their weight loss by doing that and would never ever do it myself. If someone else can do it and they don't have problems, then best of luck to them. I may think it will end badly for them but I could be wrong. Basically, it just boils down to my experience and opinion which is pretty much what all of us have in here. People can choose to listen to me or not. That's the beauty of the Internet and these forums.

We live in a quick fix society.

Take for example ways to cook oat meal

Steel-cut oats can take up to 25 minutes

Rolled outs 5 to 15 minutes

Quick cocking rolled oats a little over one minute

Instant oats already cooked and rolled all we do is add boiling Water to rehydrate them.

What does the above have to do with the band?

If the band does not "Make us lose weight instantly" then some how it is the bands fault.

If we chose to ignore the Dr's instruction then somehow it is the Dr's and the bands fault.

for me when I do not lose it is my fault.

By the way I like the steel-cut Oats

My favorite line is, I keep drinking with meals...it's sooooooooo hard to stop...WHO ELSE DOES THIS??? PLEASE SAY LOTS OF YOU DO IT TOO SO I CAN JUSTIFY MY STUPID BEHAVIOR PLEASE.

<insert sensible comment from lap band veteran about how this will dilate their pouch>

THIS SITE IS TERRIBLE AND NO ONE ENCOURAGES ME!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHH :'( :'( :'( BOO HOO!!! WHY DOESN'T EVERYBODY AGREE WITH ME AND SAY WHAT I WANT TO HEAR?!?

(me lol'ing)

GuyMontag,

You said:

My favorite line is, I keep drinking with meals...it's sooooooooo hard to stop...WHO ELSE DOES THIS??? PLEASE SAY LOTS OF YOU DO IT TOO SO I CAN JUSTIFY MY STUPID BEHAVIOR PLEASE.

You almost made me spit out my crystal lite ...laughing so hard....did I ever say I want to be like you when I grow up... :P

We live in a quick fix society.

Take for example ways to cook oat meal

Steel-cut oats can take up to 25 minutes

Rolled outs 5 to 15 minutes

Quick cocking rolled oats a little over one minute

Instant oats already cooked and rolled all we do is add boiling Water to rehydrate them.

What does the above have to do with the band?

If the band does not "Make us lose weight instantly" then some how it is the bands fault.

If we chose to ignore the Dr's instruction then somehow it is the Dr's and the bands fault.

for me when I do not lose it is my fault.

By the way I like the steel-cut Oats

I totally agree, If I eat an entire bag of Reese Cups....(they slide down real easy with a tight band)...and only eat two teaspoons of yogurt....should I get angry because the scales are not moving and say the lap band is a piece of crap?

And oh...I love this one...I can't eat any "healthy foods" I vomit up all my food...All I can eat is junk, and I have not lost any weight.

DUH...If you plan on keeping your band too tight...deal with it ...and learn how to be creative....protein shakes will go down, pureed broccoli and spinach, and low cal Soup...yogurt...you can still lose weight on a too tight band...LOL

Heck you can even throw some chicken in a Magic Bullet and puree that....the stuff I hear on these weight loss boards are unbelievable!