Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Momma: Iam so sorry to hear about your daughter. Depression is so hard on children. Lexapro ( the right spelling ) is not a bad anitdepression and does work , but it takes a while. If she just started it they probably only put her on 20 mg. which is what they put us on to start with. They will monitor her for a few weeks and then probably increase the dosage. She will need to see a psychoth erapist which is what I see who work together with your psychiatrist ( who prescribes the medication). This how it works for me, it might work differenly for her since she is not Biploar like Iam.

All I can say is get involved fully with here therapy and treatment. Its the best thing you can do for her and your family.

Has she done any school consuling for her depression? Maybe the depression was brought on by something that happend to her at school: Is she being teased or harassed by a classmate? Is a teacher treating her unkindly? We here so much about kinds holding back things that have happend to them - leading to depression and worse.

Iam gald to hear that at least she was started on some type of medication that might help her. Anitdepression are not danger to children as some might thing or fear. If they do their research they will see that antidepression have helped many young children.

You said that your daugther is 12 and that is not a very young age for her to be started on anntidepressions. My therapist has told me of some children she has worked with in the past who were as young as 7 and 8 who benefited from taking this medication.

I tell you all this as someone with a mental illness and first hand experience. If it were not for my great therapist, psychiatrist, and above all my great family, I would not be where Iam today!

Through taking my medication and going to therapy Iam living with my Bipolar and surviving one day at a time.

You will get through this and you have my love, support and friendship.

We all have hard times to go through,but through reaching out to other we can help ourselves!

If you need to talk, please PM me anytime.

Lisa

Are we a matched group or what? Depression is such a devestating thing! I can always trace an argument, inappropriate thought or word in my life back to depression.

According to Oprah and her vast army of experts only 8 minutes of heart pounding, sweat producing exercise will tame the ugly beast for up to 24 hours.

That's kinda hard to do when you are dealing with other ailments.

I've been down since having the virus. Finally climbing out and back at the exercise. I'm bouncing again and my new low number has hidden the last week. It's beginning to look at little old too.

Hope everyone is experieincing some kind of turn around. Things are looking up for us this week. We leased the condo yesterday!!! A sweet couple who previously owned one of the condos.

If I thought there was a shrink out there that could help a bandster deal with life in general after 10 months of hard work, I'd go. This is hard to sort out.

Sigh. Skin gets baggier and my family is tiring of "the band the band the band. I think the reality of the new "me" is also a little hard for fmaily to take as well. I managed a jolly persona to hide my fat and I was fun to be around. I'm reinventing me and it is hard work. I don't like some of the raw material.

Hi all! Thanks to all that posted with their kind works of love and support! Thats why I have stayed here in this June Crew through all my personal and Lapband Challenges. You all have become like a second family to me that I can turn to for love and support.

My husband and I are working thing out as best as we can one day at a time. My son is doing better and doing BM's reguarly now !

Its only been a few weeks on the new Bipolar medication so its to early to see if this new medication is working. The side effects suck , but sometimes you have to way them out in order to see the good effect it has on you.

As for my weight, Iam fighting my cravings each day. One of the side effects of both Bipolar medication is weight gain in some form.

Depakote the medication I was just taken off of did make me gain weight. This new medication, as I mentioned its is to soon to see the full side effects yet.

Iam really happy for all of the rest of you that are getting closer to your one year goals---

Regina - Congratulations on hitting the 100! I just went over the recent post. Also glad to see your on the mend and home now.

Well, Iam hangin in there, again thanks for all your love and support!

Lisa

OK guys Tai Chi is deceivig. I had my first lesson yesterday. I was sweating and tired at the end of it. I was so thirsty as well. I came home tonight and got my B12 shot because tomorrow is another lesson. Then I'll have to do Curves on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to honor that committment. I am so busy at work that I'm not thinking of food. Maybe this is the new way for me to lose weight!

I don't have enough restriction, but I'm going to stay this way for a while. Dick has surgery next Wednesday so I'm trying not to do anything to cause me to have problems.

We bought a new sleep number mattress for our room. We are also having hardwood floors installed in early June. We are cleaning out the office and removing the bed from one of the guest rooms. Now the house is a mess and I can't stand it. Its only been one day. Yikes not sure I can handle this chaos.

Hope everyone is on the mend from their various ailments and trials. Life goes on and somehow we learn to cope. My problems/issues are so trival in light of some of the burdens some of you are carrying. Sending positive thoughts to all of you.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Depression runs in my family and my x-hubbys. I have been on & off meds for years and he should have been:phanvan I know that there have been horror stories of kids committing suicide that are on meds, but I truly believe that these kids are depressed to begin with and meds don't help ALL that take them, but I feel that since she has begun taking them, I have seen a dramatic change. She still has episodes, but I believe that without the meds, she would have had many many more. I know it will take time to find just the right dose and rx for her... and I will certainly continue to moniter her like a hawk!!! I did finally get an appt with a therapist. She goes Monday for her first visit. Let's hope we like her and it doesn't take 10 different docs to find one we like! It was hard enough finding one that 1.) takes our insurance & 2.) isn't 20 miles away....I'll keep you posted! Lisa, I'I'll PM you after our visit on Monday. Thanks for all of your insight! You guys are the greatest form of therapy ever!!

OK, back to lap-band adventures... I still love my band! I have to keep reminding myself! I have been having pb's nearly every time i eat before 4 or 5... Sat is my b-day and I don't even want to go to the "customary out to eat b-day lunch" at work! Any suggesstions?

Barbara, you are such an inspiration! I bareley get my but to the gym once a week! You ROCK!!

Regina-Pls post... we miss you!! Hope you are doing MUCH better!!!

OOPS, time to go pick up kids...

Thanks again everyone for being here!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. Glad to see that everyone is still trecking along.

I am glad to report I'm slowly recovering from my ankle injury. I am in regular shoes now and walking pretty good. Barefoot, still not so good. I'm sure it will take several more weeks (or even months) to get full function of my ankle back.

Barbara465 --I know how you feel with the messy house. Mine is still in disarray from my move. I'm planning on working on it this weekend. Have lots to do. Too much to even think about.

Well, off to veg out for a bit and watch t.v. before I start all over again early tomorrow.

Talk to you all soon.

Melissa Lea

Pinkylee, I just noticed that it's your birthday. Happy Birthday to you, girl, I hope you're having a wonderful day. And here's to a great year ahead!

I talked to her today for her birthday. Her computer has cratered, but I think she logs in on her husband's now and then. She was having her family over for dinner. Her husband was helping with the cooking so she wasn't having to do too much.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm doing OK, but can eat too much. Trying to watch my food intake. Lovin buying the new clothes and a few sexier things. This may be my size for a while and that's OK. 18 is not a bad number. ;)

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the mother's, special aunts, friends to special children. Hope you are all enjoying it.

The weather is simply beautiful here in Houston. One of the few days we can really enjoy the weather before it gets too hot to stand.

Yesterday DH and I went shopping. I picked up a few things and then spotted some beautiful pink and white daisy capri pants. They only had one pair and they were a size smaller than I wear. My DH knew I liked them so he asked the salesperson if there were any more. She said no. I looked at them and said I'll try them on, but they won't fit. ***Drum roll please**** those size 16 capri's fit just fine. I think the last time I wore I size 16 I was 16!!!!!

Now I still wear a size 18, but for some reason these fit!!! A wonderful present for me!!!

I will be banded one year on June 6th next month. Its been great for me. I am down around 50 lbs so far. My doctor is thrilled with my 1 lb per week weight loss. I had an issue with my stomach lining thickening last month that lead to to much tighten. I couldn't hold down solids for a week. He took out 1/2 my fill and that rectifined it fine. I am proud to announce that I am back on the losing streak. I am down 10 lbs this week. I will probably go back to losing my 1 lb a week very shortly. I think the 10

Julie that's a great update. Some of us are just slower at losing. You should be proud of where you are. I've never heard of the thickening of the stomach lining. Is that something that happened as a result of surgery? If that is the case, it should take very little fill to get restriction.

Happy Mother's day to all you beautiful mother's out there.....

I am doing well, just get frustrated that I wear out so quickly. Still pretty sore. Will still be out of work a couple more weeks, I go to the doctors tomorrow. Doing ok being unfilled, it's hard, but i am steadily bouncing betwwen 155 and 158, and not going beyond. Not to bad since I was 160 the day before my first surgery. I got a couple pairs of pants today for mother's day, they are a juniors size 9, that seems so amazing from where i was a year ago. Our bandanniversary is sneaking up quickly. Hope you all are doing well. Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes from everyone.

Reginia just look at your numbers!!!!!!!! That's a fantastic accomplishment. Too bad your great success has been marred by the surgeries, but you are still with us. That is the biggest blessing of all.

Barbara, I was at 3ccs for about 8 weeks then all of a sudden I had complete restriction and couldn't hold down solids for a week. My doctor said that the stomach lining can thicken around the band and tighten you up. So he took out 1.5 and brought me down 1/2 way. I stayed there for 2 weeks and didn't have any restriction. I gained 4 lbs but had a food blast along the way. He then brought me to 2.8 so its less that 3 so I am very happy. I've lost 3lbs since Thursday. My goal is to lose another 50 this year. I am really motivated now. Especially after reading People magazine where they had 6 woman who had all lost 100+ lbs.