Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

I read a lot on this site but I am not much on writing. I really enjoy everyone. I just had to tell everyone of my latest triumph.

I have always been a horse lover. I came from a rodeo family, ran barrels as a kid and so did my kids. I have been too big for many years to enjoy horses and have not been on one in over 15 years. Well Saturday before last I got on my mare Buffy. It was as good as I remembered. Since them I have rode 4 other times. I never thought I would ever have the joy of riding again.

My goal now is to be able to get on without a bucket. A tall horse, short legs and short stirrups make it real hard to get on. Some friends of mine are going to OK during Thanksgiving for a campout and trail ride. I want to go so bad, but unless I can retire the bucket I will stay home. I am working extra hard on leg exercises. Wish me luck!!!!

:D Hi there! Iam Lisa aka LeeceLove 70. I was banded on June 13,2006

Let me tell youe about me:

My birthday is Jan 6, 1970 (hence the 70 in the username). I have been married to my hubby for 4 1/2 years and have an adorable 4 yeard old son Andrew. I was born and raised in New York.

My hobbies are reading books -- Barnes and Nobles is getting rich with me -lol

I love going to concerts - The best I saw recently was Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden in February- he did 3 hours non stop !

I have been fat since I was 5 years old and growing up I was on every diet there was. I never made lifetime on Weigth Watchers but I sure did spend enough over the years to get lifetime membership!

I even tried Overeaters Annoymous a few times for my eating disorder of Complusive Overeating. The most I lost was 35 pounds on OA's HOW program .

I also suffer from depression and I went through a breakdown in June of 2005 after my best-friend of over 10 years decided to end our friendship from pressure and abuse she was suffering from her husband.

I admitted myself to a hospital for a week and got put on medication and recieved help for my depression.

A year to the date I had my LapBand surgery and it was the best thing I ever did for myself!

I have regained my life, my self-esteem and self-respect! My depression is under control and I see my therapist every other week and doctor once a month.

Iam not perfect, but Iam progressing!

I have lost 50 pounds with my LapBand with still no fill and it has not been easy , since I have been pretty much doing it on my own.

The past two months have not been easy and the old craving have been there , but I keep watching what I eat and only drink Water and Crystal Lite. I have not been exercising as much as I used to but , I have been outside more with my son trying to be more active.

I love this June Banders Crew since we all can support each other and be open and honest and help each other out.

I look foward to making new friendships with each and every one of you.

Thank you so much for the wonderful invites you all sent me.

Love and hugs,

Lisa aka Leecelove70:kiss2:

Jana you should post your triumph ride on the NSV thread if you haven't already. I'm praying you will make your next goal for the OK ride, but you will get there regardless of the timing.

Lisa depression is a toughy. I excused myself from exercise yesterday to do much needed chores. I had the depression aches last night. Exercise has always been helpful for my depression (tried every med--doesn't help), but in the last few months if I miss a day, I sure know it by evening. My increased energy level is definitely helping in this process.

Cathy

Thanks for the stats.

It feels almost unreal to be so close to onderland. My weight loss has picked up lately for some unknown reason. I've increased exercise intensity, but have also missed more days due to illness, etc. I thought about trying to cut way back on calories and increase exercise, and then I started hearing myself say "tomorrow, I'm going to..." just liike I did in the old Weight watcher's day. Two weeks or two months, I'll get there.

Thanks PinkyLee,

This Depression thing is a B***h! I had a good night last night with my hubby and son we watched "The Little Mermaid " for the 100th time. It was okay since it is my favorite Disney movie! When I am feeling blue its great to have my 4 years old to cheer me up! He loves to sing and dance and he always puts a smile on my face.

Lately my challenge is to not give in to my old cravings ( SUGAR!) and it has been so hard since my band is not yet filled, Iam still doing this on my own and its scares me! I know I have accomplished so much in 4 months with 50 pounds down so far but, I thinks it might be time for the fill and major restriction!

I have bought so many books about WLS surgery and most recently "Laproscopic Gastric Banding " a whole book about banding !

I wish there was a book that had food plan ideas for people from weeks 1 and beyond. I mean like week per week food plan ideas up to a year after surgery, I feel it would be extremely helpful to all LapBand patients!

Those are my thoughts for today .

Love, Hugs and Friendship,

Lisa

Oh I'm so happy to see new June bandsters join us and tell their stories. Thank you for posting!!!

This is a great day for me. I feel great and the trials of earlier in the week seem to be behind me. I think I have restriction, but just enough. I am no longer in pain, but I am very, very, careful of what I eat. :D

Today I'm going to join a few friends for lunch. I missed our monthly brunch last week because of my PBing, so I'm glad to see some of them today. Friends are a great outlet for me.

Advice needed on non band topic: My DH and I are going on a cruise for Christmas. We invited his female cousin to join us and one of my friends agreed to go. Those 2 will be sharing a cabin. My friend, who turned 60 a few days before me, is going through some trauma. Not sure what it is, but I think she is not adjusting to turning 60 well. We went to Hilton Head together and she just acted weird during that trip. Anyway, she just doesn't want to go on the trip. She would back out now if it wasn't for Dick's cousin. It would cost her more if she didn't share the cabin. What should I do? I want to see if another one of my friends will go before I left the original one off the hook. However, I don't want to feed her depression if that's what's going on. I just don't know what to do, if anything. Help!

I found this post and it brought me to tears since I felt this way a year before I had my surgery. I cried my eyes out as I read this post.

I sent her a very long reply with words of encouragement and my story so far.

I was thinking as a group maybe we can give her some support and love even though she is in Australia!

I think pretty much all of us felt this way before we had our surgery.

Love and hugs,

Lisa

The world hates fat people.....

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi everyone. I guess you could say that I am feeling very low at the moment. I just feel so isolated due to my weight. It seems like people absolutely hate you if you have a weight problem, and they just want you to disappear. It is like I hve committed the worst possible sin.

It doesn't matter that I am a good, kindhearted person who does a lot to help others, I should be hated because of my weight. I feel this more acutely being a female. That is like a double sin.

I feel very discrimated against by some of my co-workers who I have heard making comments about my weight when they thought I wasn't there.

I don't feel like leaving my home and it is causing me a lot of mental anguish.

I guess if I lose the weight with the banding I will be a worthwhile person to society.

Sorry to put a downer on things. Just going through a low ebb at the moment. Susannah:confused:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

8/8/03 Diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis

Surgery Jan/Feb 2007

Mr Gary Crosthwaite

Reside in Melbourne Australia

Maybe I'm overly sensititve today so take my comments as they are intended - to share information.

I consider myself a really good bandster. I don't eat any of the forbidden foods, stay within an acceptable calorie and carb range, drink my Water, don't eat solids if I can't devote 45 minutes to eating, chew, chew, chew, don't drink with meals and wait at least 60 minutes after, use a small plate and small utensils, cut my meat into tiny, tiny, bites, and eat solid Proteins instead of relying on liquids.< /p>

I follow the guidelines of my doctor concerning fills and go on Clear Liquids the day of a fill, 3 days of liquids after and 3 days of mushies. I don't use dry Protein for shakes and I don't have oatmeal (doctor's orders).

>>>

No one should assume that because someone experiences something "bad" that it is their fault. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't. This is the risk we took when we got banded. Our comments here are concentrated so maybe we come across as whiners, complainers, or not using the tool as intended. I personally don't feel that way, but I guess others reading our posts may.

One of the things we all have to stop hiding is the fact that the band is still relatively new and its long range effects on our bodies is unknown. Also, complications happen to the best of us. The "it won't happen to me" statements have to stop. It can, and probably will. Some may be more severe than others, but there are definitely oddities about the band. There are few that go through this process with absolutely NO side effects. Its all a matter of what we are willing to accept. I accepted all the risks and I'm willing to put up with reasonable side effects. However, I use this thread to help keep me sane, to get support, to get advice, and to get suggestions on making it better.

Barbara465,

Thank you for reiterating what I said in my post, even if you did not agree with all of it. As I said at the opening of my post:

"The episodes you are hearing about here are not normal. In fact the lap band is different for EVERYONE. Take these posts as a guide and realize they are somone else's experience, and it may not ever happen to you. For example, I have NEVER had the recurring complications that some bandsters have had. I have PBed a total of FOUR times in 3 months since I was banded. The first two times was before my first fill, and I contribute them to not paying attention to HOW I was eating (too fast, big bites, and too fast). I had no problems after my first fill, but Since my second fill on October 5th, it has happened twice more, and this I can contribute to what I was eating (and probably not chewing enough too)."

Let's face it ... the lapband results CAN NOT be classified as NORMAL. Everyone is different, for more reasons we can count. The psycological and physical effects of Depression, Stress, Bi-polar, OCD, Menapause (to name a few) create differences in each of us... and let's face it, the fact that I am male, changes the equation too. There is NO NORMAL.

You yourself have posted how you would have a problem with scrambled eggs one day, but not the day before. This is a prime example of "not normal". But I can guarantee you, someone, somewhere read your post and put down "eggs" on their "never to eat again" list. To some, that just made their choice for them about not going through this procedure...well I would have to say it's their loss.

It's been 4 months, and I have to be honest with you all... thanks to some problems you folks have had with certain foods, I have been cautious with them. For example, I don't eat Pasta (unless it's angelhair pasta), I haven't tried to eat Bagels (that alone is a crime against my jewish heritage), rice, and forget bread (unless it's Multigrain). But those are MY choices based upon what I've read, and what I've experienced.

My post NEVER, EVER said anything about others having these problems due to eating the wrong way, or wrong things to eat. I said I contribute MY problems to what I ate or how I ate it. No one should take offense to that. (And a special thanks to Barbara12375, who commented the same).

In Closing, I must say it again...nothing about this is normal, nor are the results...EACH of us carves out our own success in this journey. And we all must realize that what works one day, may not work the next... BUT it doesn't mean that something is wrong.

Best of luck to all!

Advice needed on non band topic: My DH and I are going on a cruise for Christmas. We invited his female cousin to join us and one of my friends agreed to go. Those 2 will be sharing a cabin. My friend, who turned 60 a few days before me, is going through some trauma. Not sure what it is, but I think she is not adjusting to turning 60 well. We went to Hilton Head together and she just acted weird during that trip. Anyway, she just doesn't want to go on the trip. She would back out now if it wasn't for Dick's cousin. It would cost her more if she didn't share the cabin. What should I do? I want to see if another one of my friends will go before I left the original one off the hook. However, I don't want to feed her depression if that's what's going on. I just don't know what to do, if anything. Help!

It sounds like your cruise is still 2 months away, so maybe this will work out if you talk with the friend. Although instead of holding her to it, you may want to find a replacement travel buddy. I know how those "Single Supplements" are onboard a cruise. Maybe your friend will suddenly realize that turning 60 isn't much of a difference than being 59 years and 364 days old. Comfort her and tell her she still has at least 30-40 more years left (I believe we are all living to be 90 or so), so if the age is a factor, she shouldn't spend the last 1/3 of her life depressed.

One of my businesses is a travel agency, and I have to tell you I have more 65+ clients traveling than I do younger than 65. Of course the over 65 crowd is predominately Cruise-takers, whereas the younger crowd is tours and land packages. I have a lady that takes a similar itinerary out of San Diego (to Mexico) on whatever ship I can find. She's 95 and walks with a walker, and travels by herself. (Yes I hate the fact she spends $1100 for an inside cabin) But Helen doesn't worry about the itinerary, she never gets off the ship. She just loves to socialize with new people.

Somewhere I read an article that has me thinking about my senior years. If I ever have to sel my home and move into an Independant Living community, I'm just going to start cruising non-stop. After all, you get new neighbors every 7-10 days, your meals are prepared for you, and it's cheaper than most independant living communities...where can you live and eat for $60-70 a day?

Have fun on your cruise!

Thanks Darrin for your post. Chalk it up to feeling sorry for myself. I try to be a good bandster and follow my doctor's order. I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone not getting the surgery. However, I wouldn't want them to think that the band comes without its challenges.

For me, the band is a good thing. I don't regret having it. I do now have a greater appreciation for its nuiances in all of us. I do now know that being a "good" bandster will not protect me from complications.

Sorry if I came off offensive. I read in your post, which you say you did not intend, that if we were having problems we were doing something wrong. Sorry. :D

Houston Area Junebies

Barbara465 and I are meeting for lunch at the downtown Ninfa's on Tuesday, Oct 24 at noon. Please pm Barbara or I for details. We'd love to meet you IRL. Nothing formal--just a chat and chew (and chew and chew).

I got out of hospital today, surgery went fine. My Dr. was a miracle worker and she managed to get my massive weird lumpy fibroid uterus out of a much smaller incision than expected! It just goes from just under my belly button to my pubic bone, about 7 inches long, with lots of staples in it. She said before going in to surgery that it may end up twice that long. She said my fibroids had grown and were even more massive than from my cat scans, but skin stretches. I don't know how many pounds it was yet because it's still in pathology, but I will know when they get the results. I weighed myself morning of the surgery - last teusday, and was 234.5, this morning I was 225.5 - so I lost 9 lbs. Other than a day of fasting pre-surgery, and fluids day of surgery I've been eating pretty normal so I think most of the loss was from the growths. I'm guessing they'll come in at 5-6lbs. It means I may try to make a new goal for New Years to be in onderland - we'll see. It's a bit ambitious, since I won't be able to really get much excerisize for the next 8 weeks. I'm pretty sore and tired, but happy it's all over with.

I'm sorry to hear of you guys getting stuck and pb'ing frequently. I had my second fill last week and I can still eat too much, I think.

I'm wondering how Leila is. I know her surgery was planned for last Tuesday.

Leila...........Glad to hear it's all over and you're doing fine. Things will be so much better for you now. Take things easy, you've got the rest of your life to get into shape.