Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded family

Isn't it awful if you have people that are also banded in your family and they don't want to go through this with someone they know that has the band. They want to compare and contrast between them and the other banded person. Some people are so stubborn and think well if I don't share my secretes then ill be ahead. That's so weird to me..... I want to share my stories good or bad so people won't make the same mistakes or they could learn a new way of doing something. You can ALWAYS learn. I welcome any advice.. Some people will never learn I guess.

I agree with you 100%! I know people who like to keep their secrets like it's going to make them better or something. I'm with you though I welcome the advice and feedback and readily share what I can.

Both hubby and I are banded together and we really do learn from each other. He might make a mistake and share and vis versa and so we don't both end up in the same trap :)

Or when someone in the family is banded and is failing and you want to support them. Instead of them listening, they just wave you off..probably originating from the same place of competition vs partnership. :)

Yes I don't know why someone would be opposed to the idea of letting someone help. Not giving or taking advice is CRAZY to me. I absolutely love this site because everyone is so nice and honest. Y'all also don't mind telling y'all's stories so that new and old bandits can learn from them. There are some really wonderful people on here and I appreciate all of y'all's advice. You would think that family wouldn't want to beat the other person but work together and take the lbs off together. That's their loss though :-)

Isn't it awful if you have people that are also banded in your family and they don't want to go through this with someone they know that has the band. They want to compare and contrast between them and the other banded person. Some people are so stubborn and think well if I don't share my secretes then ill be ahead. That's so weird to me..... I want to share my stories good or bad so people won't make the same mistakes or they could learn a new way of doing something. You can ALWAYS learn. I welcome any advice.. Some people will never learn I guess.

Hi I am always looking n these sites scarfing up all the info I can get. I don't know of anyone personally so I have to gather info where I can. I'm nor a complete follower, I can think for myself and I do that by taking the suggestions or the pros and cons of doing something one way or the other. I am a newbie banded 8-13. But I know my body but I do take some advice from others and tweek it to fit me. I don't know if I would have made it this far without all of you. Thx

Hi I am always looking n these sites scarfing up all the info I can get. I don't know of anyone personally so I have to gather info where I can. I'm nor a complete follower' date=' I can think for myself and I do that by taking the suggestions or the pros and cons of doing something one way or the other. I am a newbie banded 8-13. But I know my body but I do take some advice from others and tweek it to fit me. I don't know if I would have made it this far without all of you. Thx[/quote']

I agree Donna it's nice to be able to take bits and pieces of different stories and tweak it to fit you and that's what I try to do. Everyone's band is different but in almost every story and comments I read I can find something that I didn't know before about the band. :-)

I'm actually dealing with people close to me that are also banded, but not doing so well with it. They tell me 'it's not fair' that I'm losing and they aren't, or they'll ask me 'what are you doing that's so different from me?'. They totally blow me off when I try to offer support. I'm not sure what they want, as I'm more than willing to give them any words of wisdom I may be able to offer to help them!

I'm actually dealing with people close to me that are also banded' date=' but not doing so well with it. They tell me 'it's not fair' that I'm losing and they aren't, or they'll ask me 'what are you doing that's so different from me?'. They totally blow me off when I try to offer support. I'm not sure what they want, as I'm more than willing to give them any words of wisdom I may be able to offer to help them![/quote']

Well my cousin hasn't went for a fill but once and she had her surgery a year before me (my surgery was april 2013) and I've had three fills going on the fourth one next week. The fill is what jump starts it or that's what did it for me. If you're eating like normal then of course you're not going to lose weight. I try to get her to talk about losing weight and how she's eating but she's very short with me and just says she's doing good with it. I'm not losing like crazy but it's coming off slowly and I just wish she would start opening up about it. When I tell her about what I'm doing she makes me feel like I'm gloating or something and I would never do that.

I think some people just don't want to do what it takes to be successful. They expect the band to do it for them. They are not really mad at you so much as they are projecting their own feelings onto you that way they don't have to take responsibility or admit that they are the problem. They know it can work it they follow the rules and you are probably just a living reminder that the problem lies with them and not the band.

Well my cousin hasn't went for a fill but once and she had her surgery a year before me (my surgery was april 2013) and I've had three fills going on the fourth one next week. The fill is what jump starts it or that's what did it for me. If you're eating like normal then of course you're not going to lose weight. I try to get her to talk about losing weight and how she's eating but she's very short with me and just says she's doing good with it. I'm not losing like crazy but it's coming off slowly and I just wish she would start opening up about it. When I tell her about what I'm doing she makes me feel like I'm gloating or something and I would never do that.

Some people want what they want but not willing to do what it takes to achieve that goal. Too many banders I've found throughout this various sites are just complainers. They thought with the band that the work was done and all they would have to do is to sit back and watch it happen. Unhappy in most situations because they don't have the willingness to do what needs to be done.

I'm not too far in my banding but I am 63 yrs old and at this point in my life I damn well better want this in the worst way. To follow the rules and hopefully have another 20 or 30 years to be extremely happy about my life with wls. I'll make mistakes and I may get depressed I'm not completely in denial that all will go my way. But I am going to do my best to let wls be my friend and not my do all.