Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 15 mos post op and sometimes find myself craving old foods and yes giving in. Had 1cc taken out last month and .5cc put back in so not quite up to my full feeling yet so I'm still getting hungry now and find myself overeating or wanting to eat more. I cant or don't deal with the head hunger well. I'd like to know who or why type of therapist treats this issue? just a regular psychiatrist?

I have a terrible sweet tooth, something fierce, no lie. It gets the best of me sometimes. I take meds for mild bipolar and I think one of the meds makes me crave sugar but I can't change it cause it helps me sleep at night and that is one of my symptoms of bipolar is insomnia.

Just looking for suggestions on who to turn to for help with eating habits???

Thanks

if you think you need to see a therapist you will want to find one that specializes in eating disorders. I hope you are able to get this under control! Reaching out for help is a good sign you will work through this and be successful.

thanks so much, I will search for one.

Donna you have went thru a lot this past year and I would ask your band doctor if they can recommend a therapist that deals with eating disorders but you have done so well and look how far you have come go back and read soe of the comments on your page and see the different pics of yourself , I mean I figure I put myself thru this and paid for some of the surgery to help me , and think how you have encourgaged people ya you and how you encourarged yourself , yes we all have struggled at times but we,try to get thru it oh ya don't forget moderation is key I am so proud of you , look how far you are going and where you have been , but check and do research just like anything and don't forget to ask any questions and make sure ur comfortable with that therapist, good luck.

Hi Donna, congratulations on your success -- 74 pounds, wow! It sounds like you are working on getting the right fill -- making sure the band adjustment is right for you. I know that many people who have sugar issues find it easier to stay away from anything that is sweet, especially sugar substitutes, etc. but even carrots, beets, fruit sugars, etc. All these can trigger craving. I am pre-band (hoping I don't have to say that much longer!) and have been working with a therapist the last couple of months to help sort through the ways I have used food to soothe myself -- anxiety, stress, boredom, reward. I always take extra care at this time of year when the light is shifting so rapidly as that can be difficult for me -- time to review strategies for winter! Best wishes -- you are on your way to leaving sugar in the dust!

Therapy is always a good idea and I am with you the sweet tooth gets to me also. I try not to have any in the house but sometimes it isn't easy specially when kids have birthdays. Given all you have been through I can imgine how hard it must have been to be true to yourself and your ban but you have done it. Let us know what the therapist has to say it should help us all.

I also have a sweet tooth, I try to use the chocolate Protein shakes to off set my cravings. Or some skinny cow fudge bars, or skinny cow ice cream sandwiches.

Even some of the Protein Bars are good for you, and they help me with my sweet craving. I look for the ones that are 150 cal or less and they are pretty satisfying for me.

I know that medication can definitely affect cravings. My step son is on similar meds, and sometimes he is like an eating machine that we can't shut down, and it is a side affect of his medication.

Your doing amazing so far! Sometimes a little head hunger is not a bad thing, we need to treat ourselves with love and listen to what our body's are trying to tell us. You may be needing something and your body craving old food choices might be it's way of letting you know there is a deficiency somewhere.

Keep doing what your doing cause your doing great!

In a pinch if I am really craving something sweet, I will have a pickle. There is something about the sour taste that removes the sweet craving. Another trick is to brush your teeth.

I hate to tell ya Shasta I hate pickles, I pick them off of things if I happen to eat a Wendy's jr cheeseburger on occasion. Yes I'm able to eat bread sometimes, not in the mornings but afternoons I can. Let's just face it, I'm a sugarholic, I am. I literally grew up on pop-tarts and to this day would LOVE to eat one but choose not to. I love oatmeal but have to put sugar in it, love cream of wheat but have to put sugar in it. 99% of the time for Breakfast I make my own Protein Shakes which are very satisfying, I feel like I'm cheating but at night if I have one I feel cheated on because I didn't actually chew on food, isn't that crazy. Like today I had to have a quick breakfast so I chose Cereal, then at lunch I had Red Lobster, 3 shrimp and 1 small very small piece of flounder and 1/3 of baked potato and loe and behold tonight I was starving and made myself a PB&J cut off the crust so it was smaller of course but entire sandwich. For pete's sake I will be up 2 lbs tomorrow for sure. I'm telling ya'll I need that extra .5cc in my band back. I may call my dr in the morning and see if I can come in and get that .5cc before next month. Ya'll pray for me, Lord knows I need it.