Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem-Need Advice ASAP

Sure I am not suggesting that any other doctors work on her lap band just that they access her condition of health right now.

Make sure she is not suffering from any other aliments while she is having this problem, and to keep extra tabs on the surgeon to ensure that her health and well being is the top priority.

If the band has to come out it has to come out, but if she is going to reject a replacement band is not the answer for her. I would want to know that before making the decision to put another one in.

I agree she should not be thinking about getting another band "right now" she has suffered too long on a too tight band, and she probably have some damage to her stomach already.

The last thing she needs NOW is another lap band installed, if she get it removed quickly, and heal, perhaps she may be able to get a bigger band down the road, but again, everyone is not eligible for rebanding depending on how much damage is done and scar tissue.

She will need to be assessed by a skilled lap band surgeon if she wants to get another bigger band, first things first, is to get that band out immediately.

Her band probably needed to come out in the first few weeks/month after banding, many surgeons have to remove the band right after placement due to obstruction or band too small for the anatomy.

Since all this started in just the last 2 weeks it could very well mean there is a great deal of inflammation. With IV fluids and nutrition the swelling should go down in 2 to 3 days so she can get some relief. I think I would go to ER and start there instead of waiting around for doctors to call back while she is suffering. Let us know what happens.

My wife has tried 3 lap band surgeons. Only 1 is willing to see her to give a second opinion, however the earliest he is willing or able to see her is on Oct 10. Ugh! She can't wait a month. My wife asked her surgeon if he has ever had to replace a smaller band for a larger band. He said that not for size alone. He replace a smaller band that slipped with a larger band. He seems confident that her band has not slipped, but perhaps you are right and it is just hard to see from the espohagram. My employer offers an Advocacy Service through a 3rd party that is suppose to help us work with insurance and doctors. I have contacted them. Hopefully, they can help us get a quick solution.

Something I didn't think of is if she isnt comfortable with changing out her band for fear of it being foreign object rejection, she might consider just plication. Its very much like sleeve without some of the risks of sleeve and still reversable. I have heard that there are surgeons who will do just the plication. I totally believe since I really feel very little resistence (if any) and am steadily losing weight, the plication has alot to do with that.

Please update us spouse of lapbander and let us know what happened as we need to know so we don't have the experience that you the supporter and your wife the bander had as we appreciate the input so please let us know what happen and is she your wife doing any better?

Please update us spouse of lapbander and let us know what happened as we need to know so we don't have the experience that you the supporter and your wife the bander had as we appreciate the input so please let us know what happen and is she your wife doing any better?

Thanks for your concern. She is doing slightly better, but still having challenges keeping again but liquids down. She has been able to drink small amounts of Protein shakes. But any attempt to eat anything more solid has failed. I spoke to the advocacy service offered by my employer. They are going to try to help but I got the feeling that they would try what we have already done ourselves. My wife is pursuing the option to have the same surgeon put in a larger band, but our insurance requires pre-authorization to replace the band. That could take 48 hours if the insurance expedites the request. I don't know what we will do if the insurance denies the claim. I would love to have a second opinion but no one is willing or able to see her soon enough. That has been frustrating. It seems like there is a Band (Pun intended) of Doctors that don't want to review a fellow surgeons opinion, prognosis, work. I haven't shared this before but my wife's dad had the Lap-band surgery with this same surgeon. Her dad has not had any complications or problems. His surgery was 2 years ago. I think that is part of the reason she is comfortable with the idea of him doing the surgery again. I have not found any complaints about this surgeon anywhere. Does anyone know a better way to research a surgeons history? I have just been searching the Internet.

Thanks for your concern. She is doing slightly better' date=' but still having challenges keeping again but liquids down. She has been able to drink small amounts of Protein shakes. But any attempt to eat anything more solid has failed. I spoke to the advocacy service offered by my employer. They are going to try to help but I got the feeling that they would try what we have already done ourselves. My wife is pursuing the option to have the same surgeon put in a larger band, but our insurance requires pre-authorization to replace the band. That could take 48 hours if the insurance expedites the request. I don't know what we will do if the insurance denies the claim. I would love to have a second opinion but no one is willing or able to see her soon enough. That has been frustrating. It seems like there is a Band (Pun intended) of Doctors that don't want to review a fellow surgeons opinion, prognosis, work. I haven't shared this before but my wife's dad had the Lap-band surgery with this same surgeon. Her dad has not had any complications or problems. His surgery was 2 years ago. I think that is part of the reason she is comfortable with the idea of him doing the surgery again. I have not found any complaints about this surgeon anywhere. Does anyone know a better way to research a surgeons history? I have just been searching the Internet.[/quote']

Where do u live? Possibly calling the american medical association and see if the dr u have might have a black mark! Good luck. Hope to hear your wife is getting better by the day.

At least she is getting Protein down even if it is by drinking , cause you had said she could not keep anything down and had lost a great amount in such a short time , let us know who the surgeon is and what city or state you live so maybe we can suggest another surgeon or we can check in to it for you maybe ,is your wife back home or how long did she have to stay at the hospital and how long did she have to have the I V for her not to be dehydrated and it might take a week or 2 for her to be able to eat solid food so see if she can at least maybe do Soup or Really mashed potato's without chuncks or even a teaspoon of Peanut Butter creamy then see if she has instructions for post op week after being banded so you can help her with that , oh I remember post op I could have surgar free Jello, pudding or popsicles so see if she might tolerate that , hopefully she gets better and tell her we all are hoping that and thankyou spouse supporter for updating us and being the best supporter for your wife.

Your right also other band Doctors don't like to touch other band doctors patience I have to drive a hour just to get fills from my band Surgeon and he is great altho I went to one seminar with another band doctor wich is 15 min away from me and I wanted to go to one of his support meetings and they said if I was not a patient of his I could not go and it would be very convienant to see him for fills I mean it's only 15 min away but instead I would have to request all of my paper trail work and then see if he (MIGHT) take me so I drie a hour just to save the hassle , so I stay with my band surgeon and I know 2 other people who had him so I feel Real comfortable with him and as I had posted before I can text or call him ANY TIME and will get a response so I like that.

How is your wife doing any better and what was the outcome of all of this is she any better and how did it get to the point of where you had to take her to the ER, please let us know what happened?

Here is the latest update. Her surgeon scheduled surgery today to replace the smaller band with a larger band. I just spoke to the surgeon and he said when they got in they notice some puss caused by infection. The band had eroded causing a hole slightly smaller than a quarter. They removed the band and port. My wife doesn't know this yet. She is still waking up from the surgery. I know she is going to be disappointed, but I am relieved to have some answers. Now time for the healing to begin.

Glad to hear that they found out what was going on with your wife. I hope she has a speedy recovery, and heals well.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Stay strong and best wishes for your both!

God bless and yes, update us on her status! Thanks

God bless and yes' date=' update us on her status! Thanks[/quote']

We're here for both of you. Let your wife mend mind and body before deciding next step. GOD BLESS both of you.

Finally good job on your support and getting questions answered before it was really bad , it's about time they looked and caught the problem hopefully it will be better this time around sorry for saying around but I didn't know how else to put it. also you both take care of each other as I can see u both do , when she feels up to it tell her we wer'e thinking of her health and her also , soon hopefully she will be her self again not to soon tho make her rest and follow the instructions also you take a look so u know what's going on so no more awful experiences with the healing and being banded , still either u or your wife keep us informed please,