Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site - Banded in 2007

Hi all, I just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I was banded back in 2007. At that time I was over 400 pounds. Not sure the exact number so I generally just use that as my starting point.

I was able to lose about 140 pounds, speak at the seminars for my Dr. and even did a commercial for him. I went from wearing pants that were a tight 56 to a normal 38, I could even get into 36 if i really tried. :)

I got complacent and my weight started creeping back up. I quit visiting my Dr. I quit going to support group, I quit the chat boards. Long story short, I creeped back up to around 315. Needless to say, I wasn't squeezing in the occasional 36 anymore. I was having to buy sizes I thought I had eternally banished to Goodwill.

Back in March of 2013 I got back on the proverbial "BAND"wagon. Sucked it up, and went back to see my Dr. I knew I needed a fill and coaching.

Now I am back down to about 280. I have about 20 pounds to go to get back to my lightest. This time the plan is to make it below 200 so I can say I am truly only half the man I used to be.

You can totally do this! You've been such a huge success already and I have no doubt you can continue to be.

Btw, thank you for posting this. It's a good reminder to the rest of us that no matter how successful we may be, if we get complacent we could very easily gain.

There should be a section in these forums for those doing well & those doing just so so & needing some inspiration & an occasional push. I am one who did well for a few years then got to a long time stretch where I stayed the same and thought "this is it, I feel great". Then after I had a mammogram things changed and my bariatric people thought I needed to have my restriction unfilled. Now I've gained 30 lbs! The oncology people have told me I am cancer free, so the next step is to visit the bariatric people to get my restriction back. Huh? I know this, but I don't seem to find the oomph to proceed. I've been trying to do this by myself, but am not succeeding. I should light a fire under my behind. Right? (I have seen my GP.)

The Band really is the best thing I ever did for myself. . . . . so will I just sit and whine/cry??

Best wishes to you! The reason I got banded was I had lost 175 on my own and I just wanted to reach my goal and keep it off so I felt the band just might be the tool I needed. I'm doing a commercial for the YMCA as they were the ones who helped me lose the pre banding weight. They gave me trainers and all the personal help I needed. Although I now go to 24 hour fitness I owe the Y a lot as they gave me so much. One day a ta time you'll reach your goal.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to be back in an environment where others know how hard won some of the success you have made were.

@ Joanne, for me, I had to get to the point where I was literally ashamed of myself to buy that next size pants. From there I knew I had to do something. My wife and I talked about trying these things we heard like Slim for Life and things. I thought, she can do that but for the same amount, I have a tool inside me that is way more effective. I need to give that more focus.

Here we go!

There should be a section in these forums for those doing well & those doing just so so & needing some inspiration & an occasional push. I am one who did well for a few years then got to a long time stretch where I stayed the same and thought "this is it, I feel great". Then after I had a mammogram things changed and my bariatric people thought I needed to have my restriction unfilled. Now I've gained 30 lbs! The oncology people have told me I am cancer free, so the next step is to visit the bariatric people to get my restriction back. Huh? I know this, but I don't seem to find the oomph to proceed. I've been trying to do this by myself, but am not succeeding. I should light a fire under my behind. Right? (I have seen my GP.)

The Band really is the best thing I ever did for myself. . . . . so will I just sit and whine/cry??

Come on, Joanne -- the get up and go time is here! The oomph is yours! We're all behind you......

Hi JBT, thanks for posting -- exciting to be back on BandWagon. I am still waiting to get banded and find stories like yours very inspiring. Best wishes!

There should be a section in these forums for those doing well & those doing just so so & needing some inspiration & an occasional push. I am one who did well for a few years then got to a long time stretch where I stayed the same and thought "this is it' date=' I feel great". Then after I had a mammogram things changed and my bariatric people thought I needed to have my restriction unfilled. Now I've gained 30 lbs! The oncology people have told me I am cancer free, so the next step is to visit the bariatric people to get my restriction back. Huh? I know this, but I don't seem to find the oomph to proceed. I've been trying to do this by myself, but am not succeeding. I should light a fire under my behind. Right? (I have seen my GP.)

The Band really is the best thing I ever did for myself. . . . . so will I just sit and whine/cry??[/quote']

Hi I'm new to the site but have seen a few encouraging quotes from you to others. You can do this. Get back on the bandster wagon and rock like you did before. Best wishes to you!!!

I can totally relate to what you are saying I was banded in September 2007 did really well and then got cocky thinking I did not not any support.

It seems when I stay away from this board that I gain weight and find my way back

My lowest weight since banded was around December 2009 around 190. Afterwards stop exercising and even though I still ate properly during my meals I went back to heavy duty snacking and the weight started to creep back on. In June 2011had a complete unfill due to esophagus dilation and during the next three months gained 25 lbs.

Finally on January 1 2013 after reaching 250 I recommitted myself and am losing weight again

There should be a section in these forums for those doing well & those doing just so so & needing some inspiration & an occasional push. I am one who did well for a few years then got to a long time stretch where I stayed the same and thought "this is it' date=' I feel great". Then after I had a mammogram things changed and my bariatric people thought I needed to have my restriction unfilled. Now I've gained 30 lbs! The oncology people have told me I am cancer free, so the next step is to visit the bariatric people to get my restriction back. Huh? I know this, but I don't seem to find the oomph to proceed. I've been trying to do this by myself, but am not succeeding. I should light a fire under my behind. Right? (I have seen my GP.)

The Band really is the best thing I ever did for myself. . . . . so will I just sit and whine/cry??[/quote']

Congrats on being cancer free! Now just get that oomph back and get back on the bandwagon! You already have an amazing gift and that is God making you cancer free! Best wishes to you!

I called my Bariatric Center & made an appointment with my Doctor and the Nutritionist. This will be the first Monday in October. In the interim I will use a few more low-cal lattes and salads for my meals. I'm still not drinking sodas nor eating cake, Cookies, brownies or etc. with sugar in content. I'm eating fruit for binges & trying to add more fish, turkey & chicken. The nutritionist will give me more ideas. They should put saline back in my band so hopefully I'll get the "enough" message and cut back on quantity. I'm wishing to find my "zone" again after my visit and the refill. So relieved to be over my cancer surgery and pray that will never reappear! It is not an easy visit to appointment as it is over 200 miles and I have to find a driver for my car, but my friends will be there for me . . . and thank you all for your best wishes!

Joanne great news on making that first appointment. I gained weight last year with a leak and for about 4 months just gave up. I kept gaining and it all felt to hard.

But I too decided to take control back and now I'm rebanded, have lost most of the weight I'd gained and am back to living the bandster lifestyle. All it took was making that decision to go back and see my doctor.