Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think it is a personal choice based on your skin type, your desire to be tan. Tanning beds have to be used with some sence of moderation. I love the way it makes me feel and a nice tan always looks great. I have "good skin" other then the strech marks and I Tan evenly and burn rarely. I go to the tanning bed once a week for a little just scare the white off session. Like most things moderation is the key.

I saw that news report too! Something about how all the sun releases endorphins - feel good natural drug (lol). Seems some people are more receptive to it than others.

Terry

I was thinking about this thread again this morning, since its coming into winter here and I"ve definitely lost my glow. I'm so depressed about it, there's something about being brown isnt there?

I would go so far as to say that very moderate tanning bed use year round and staying out of the sun completely - and always using SPF 30+ outdoors - could surely be no more damaging to your skin than the average sun exposure that most non careful people get outdoors over summer etc. Like the girls that bake on the beach.

I think though that I'm going to start doing without some other things and getting a weekly spray tan.

Help Outdoorgrl....I've been wondering about the airbrush tanning. It's a new thing here and I thought about trying it because I don't do tanning beds. But this may sound stupid, I was wondering how they would handle my fat layers??? How do they do it exactly?? I was wondering how even it would look since my body isn't tight and smooth and may be a rough canvas to paint on! :-)

DH and I will just stick to our tan in a bottle. We use Jergens tanning lotion for the body and the one for the face. It really works well!! We are fair skinned, so doing the dark tan formula would look a little silly. since they came out with a fair skin formula we are all about the tanning. Every night we take a shower together, I shave his head, he shaves my legs (TMI, I know ;P ) Then we put the tanner on each other. The thing I love about it is that it doesn't have a funky smell, it is a moisturizure as well so our skin is really soft, and you don't end up with orange palms, a weird color, or bad lines and splotchiness.

OK, about 2 months ago when I decided... hey, you are losing weight... you might actually wear shorts this summer, you need a tan Heather. So, I looked into places here to tan in Houston near my work. I found a nearby tanning salon that I could go to at lunch. To sign up it was like $30 bucks and I get unlimited tans for $20 a month I believe.

When I first started, I didn't buy the lotion they want to sale you. Well after a week of tanning with no lotion, I was itching like crazy. Do get some lotion, it protects your skin and hydrates it.

I started out going 3X's a week for only 3 minutes. Mind you that when I am tanning I have beautiful bronze skin, but my skin hasn't seen the sun in 3 years, so I wasn't taking any chances on burning!

I am now up to the full 15 minute sessions. I tan naked and I prefer the lay down bed to the stand up ones. Just because I am completely lazy and could not stand to stand up for 15 minutes and do nothing. When I lay down, I can take a nap. I LOVE tanning. I haven't been in almost 2 weeks, and seeing this thread is making me go today.

I agree with a lot of you when you say that fat looks better tanned. With the exception of FunnyDuddies!!! God, I LOVE her pretty skin!!!!!!!

Good Luck and keep us posted! :)

I just bought some 'Tan Towels' from HSN. Tanning product is delivered on a paper-towel-like cloth which you rub on your bod. We'll see how it works. I don't like tanning lotions because they never go on evenly, and I don't like spray on products because of all the overspray. I'm hoping that this method of application takes care of both of those problems. They say this tanner doesn't have that funny smell but don't they ALL claim that? I'll keep y'all posted.

Help Outdoorgrl....I've been wondering about the airbrush tanning. It's a new thing here and I thought about trying it because I don't do tanning beds. But this may sound stupid, I was wondering how they would handle my fat layers??? How do they do it exactly?? I was wondering how even it would look since my body isn't tight and smooth and may be a rough canvas to paint on! :-)

There are two kinds of spray tan. ONe is when you go into a boothh and then the sprayer comes on and sprays you. Then you rub it into your skin so you can be sure to get the areas that are "hidden" from the sprayer.

The other option is a person does it with an actual miniture paint sprayer. So while you are getting sprayed they may have you lift up some of the fat layers to make sure they get everywhere. The only issue with that is that you are in a room with another person pretty close to your body while they spray you. You can either be naked, or wear some type of covering.

Hope this helps.

Well..........I found a bottle of spray on tan in the bathroom cupboard and thought I'd use it up. I went out into the backyard in a bikini (its almost winter here) and sprayed myself. It goes on so blotchy, with runs, but if you wait for it to dry it really does even up.

An hour later I was in the shower scrubbing it off. Eeeeew, sticky and stinky. It was foul. I couldnt get dressed again it was too icky. Sigh.

For those that use bottle tan, how do you get round that. I find it always rubs off and gets uneven around the bra line and around the shoe line. IT also gets blotchy and yuck after a week or two when you've had several applications.

The thing I love about a sunbed tan is it's ALL over.

So my skin hasn't seen light of day in quite a while. But after I get the band, I'm planning on at least resuming sun behavior. Just wondering... do scars tan? :second: How about stretch marks? :) Thanks for any information!

Lynn

I was always perpetually stark white. My skin was almost translucent I was so pale. I suffered horrible blistering sunburns as a kid so I pretty much avoided the siun. Then, just in the past few years, I started going down to SPF 8 on my arms and legs (never the face). To my shock and excitement, I actually get s little teeny tan now! I mean, to my standards I am tan. To the outside viewer I am barely a cafe au lait, or even a almond bisque. Anyway, I'm just saying, I was a pale super freckled red haired pasty white girl. But with some time and lower SPF I got the so-called "safe" tan. But I KNOW it is bad. Though, I can see how people get addicted. I just got back from Mexico and all I wanted was to get just a little more sun very day - even though I limited the full-on 'laying out' to about 20 minutes with and spf 8-15. The rest of the time I wore a 25. My belly has never seen the sun so it is quite a contrast. Milk white and not a freckle.

I've never done a tanning bed. As a pale person, it seems too unpredictable. If 20 min in a bed = all day in the sun...I'd be so fried. And I did have days in Mex where just a little too long made me feel like twice-baked potato. But I do think with the right SPF and small amounts of time you can get some color without pain. Now, that doesn't make it safe, but it is a wee bit safer. The faux stuff is ok, but I hate the smell and how you have to be all careful not to disturb it as it works. I own about 5 different kinds.

heather i love you!! LOL

Jacqui - I use a lotion. It is not a tanner where you put it on and *boom* you are tan. It is a gradual thing that takes about a week or two to build up a total tan. then you use it twice or three times a week to keep that color up. no smell. no blotchiness. if you find that there is an area that you do not get as much, you just pay more attention to that area. and this really does not have a smell of any kind. plus it is a moisturizure so your skin is left very soft after many uses.

just saw this article on MSN. It is pretty funny, but focuses on the serious issue. Did you know that the addiction to tanning has actually clinically labeled? If you are addicted to tanning you have "Tanorexia".

The first step is admitting you have a problem. *SNICKER* :heh: