Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mucus blockage ????

What is the mucus about?

I noticed some after the second fill when I lost food due to eating too fast or the food was dry (cornbread, sliced bread, fried chicken strips).

With this third fill (5-4-06), I am suffering from so much mucus that I can't get my fluids down unless they or hot. I have found that hot broth and creamy Soups go down well but I am thirsty for a drink of just plain Water. If I drink water, juice, Protein Drinks and the like, it is coming up with a lot of mucus. So I am not getting enough fluids and I don't want to go to the hospital as my primary care doctor has warned me.

Do I need to get a small unfill to correct this problem,

wait a week or so for my stomach to settle down,

or what?

I have been losing weight very slowly so I am not complaining if this is something I have to live with. But, if I can get rid of the mucus, I think I will be okay. Bewilded in Texas icon11.gif

You're too tight! A small unfill is in order and you'll be back in business. The slime is caused by your esophogus being irritated. This signals the spit producers in the mouth to go into overdrive to try to lubricate the food that is stuck.

Good luck!

Megan

i have a friend who has the same problem; her band is 4 cc and she was filled to 2cc's and they removed some; make sure you are careful after the fill; now me no problem, i have the larger band and filled 7 cc's out of 14cc's and i can eat a horse; sinus drainage can also cause a problem; talk to your doctor; i'm in texas, where are you at and who was your doctor

I am in Commerce, TX (east Texas) near Dallas. Dr. Jayaseelan at Medical City did my surgery and later preformed my first fill. The second and third fills were done by his PA and she is wonderful because she had the same surgery. I have the big band and I have no idea how much is in my port. I am feeling much better this afternoon and I am able to drink slowly without the mucus. I think I just have to get used to restriction that I have not experienced before. After reading another response to my post, I think I just had some food lodged that the mucus was trying to help me move. After my prior fills, I could still eat regular food the same day. I believe my big mistake was eating a Protein Bar on the way home (which went down easily taking very small bites) and some are all of it blocked the passage way. I managed to get cream Soup down last night and I could tell it was passing through. Today I had an undiluted can of thick gravy like soup and I could tell it was passing. So, I guess that the soup has forced the passage clear because I have been sipping room temperature herbal Water since lunch. Yea. I believe I am going to be okay without have to go back to the doctor for a small unfill. Thanks for your help. This website is wonderful. I just heard about it last Thursday while I was waiting in the doctor's office for my last fill. I didn't get the lady's name but she is a referring member that I would like to thank. Rena' in Texas

Rena,

Just a word of caution. If you feel there's a possibility that something got stuck and blocked your stoma, there's no guarantee that it has passed. The swelling around it may have subsided some and is now allowing you to tolerate fluids. If, after a day or 2 more of liquids you cannot progress to solid foods, I'd say you are either too tight or you still have something in there. My first inclination is that you are just a wee bit too tight.

FYI, I've read where people have problems like this one and do indeed have something stuck. They eventually get to the point that they can consume liquids, but they cannot progress to solids. The case I'm thinking of is a woman who eventually started vomiting old, dark blood because the stoma was so very irritated from this blockage that it began to bleed.

So, bottom line, if you cannot progress to mushies then to soft food...........get to your doctor. Even a small unfill of .2cc can make a world of difference.

I had the same problem right after my 2nd fill. I had .2 cc taken out a week later...and I still can't eat til after noon, but I can get my fluids down fine...and have lost another 6 lbs in the past 2 weeks.

I´m too tight I cant eat almost Anything, i feel pain when i eat... i have a new fill some ppl here could give me some recipies to eat soft food, creams, Soups, and all kind of food. please! :) Thanks!

Thank you for your suggestions and thank goodness I was referred to this website when I needed help the most.

Analoren-

Soft food is not the answer to a too tight fill. Soft foods typically have more calories than regular food. It's very difficult to get in Protein when you are too tight. You may cause slippage. You don't need recipies for easy foods to eat- you need an unfill!!!

Megan

I understand the hestiation of have an unfill. I am at 4.75cc in the small band. Until the last fill I was not losing weight. Since March I have lost 30 pounds but am unable to tolerate solid food at all. And even liquid I have to sip. I really worry about getting some taken out because I still need to lose another 45 pounds, and afraid I will start gaining if I have some taken out. If I'm not hurting anything throwing-up I will continue doing that to get the rest of the weight off. To date I have lost 91 pounds.

I understand the hestiation of have an unfill. I am at 4.75cc in the small band. Until the last fill I was not losing weight. Since March I have lost 30 pounds but am unable to tolerate solid food at all. And even liquid I have to sip. I really worry about getting some taken out because I still need to lose another 45 pounds, and afraid I will start gaining if I have some taken out. If I'm not hurting anything throwing-up I will continue doing that to get the rest of the weight off. To date I have lost 91 pounds.

You said you were not hurting anything by throwing up. I would be very careful since my doctor told me by throwing up, you can possible force the bottom part of the stomach up through the opening, therefore, requiring another surgery. I had to have an unfill due to an irritation and couldn't keep anything (including water) down. After a week, I was able to have a fill again and am doing great again. Good luck!

I am an expert on mucous!!!

I was in the hospital for a week after being banded (Sept 2004)....

The surgery was in the fall... Hay Fever season for me. As I was off drugs for 3 days prior banding (including Zyrtec for allergies), I had a severe post-nasal drip. The day after the surgery, I could not swallow... so they kept me in the hospital suspecting swelling. I was told I could not be released till I can drink my liquids. This went on for 5 days.. I had many Xrays done, until they put in a NGT (Nasal-gastric Tube) and pumped all my mucous out. I was able to swallow almost immediately and was released next day.

FAST FORWARD to now...

I am still experiencing mucous. I throw up every other day (almost 2-3 times/week) for he last 6 months. Most of it is mocous/phlegm. Doctor knows about it and is not too concerned. The band is not too tight.... I cannot eat in the morning, but I can eat more in the afternoon/evening. Actually I am due for another fill soon.

What helps me is the following:

1. Drink more Water... preferably warm. It dissolves and flushes the muscous down.

2. I am drinking 2 GLASSES of green tea.

3. Before a meal, I have a large glass of warm Water or a cup of coffee.

4, Alllergy season, I use Nasonex.

Bottomline is get your self checked for a post-nasal drip. Mucous buildup means you are not drinking enough water. Drink more warm water.

I did fumble around and find that warm drinks and foods would go down and cold drinks would promote the dreaded mucus. I can't say enough about this website. It has saved the day for me. Thanks.

I to have a problem with mucus, but the band being too tight is your main problem. When the band is too tight, and the mucus drainage is going wild, you won't be able to keep anything down because there is no place for it to go. I had this problem and my Doc said that I (and everyone else, I assume) produce 2 lit. of mucus EACH DAY! You put that amount into a small pouch, with an over-tight restriction, and trouble is bound to follow!! Good luck and hang in there!! You can get past this! Terri