Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery in 2 days and I've been trying to get to this surgery date since November. I haven't told anyone that I'm having surgery, but my mom started broadcasting that I'm having surgery soon. People are starting to approach and ask what I'm having surgery on and what for and all I know to say is on my stomach. I really don't want to tell anyone because I don't want people to think I'm just taking the easy way out. I'm 20 years old and I've been obese all of my life (morbidly obese since the 5th grade) and I've NEVER lost weight out all of the things I've tried. I literally can't fathom losing weight on my own... Anyway, does anyone know what I can tell people I'm having surgery for without having to tell the real reason. Really don't want that judgment, especially in this small town. I know people are going to judge anyway, but I went through enough explaining with my family and I know how others outside of family (and of a smaller size) could not be so understanding. And it's really not anyone's business, but I don't want to be rude when people 'act' like they're concerned about me going on that operation table.

I see a lot of people saying its gallbladder surgery same scars, as well as hernia repair

Because I was also having a hiatal hernia repaired I told people I had the her is repaired, end of story. It isn't a lie as the hernia is being repaired.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

At first I didn't want to tell people I was having sx just because I was afraid that I would mess up or not loose any weight. I just knew that everyone would be judging me if I didn't loose enough weight or didn't loose it fast enough. I finally gave in after my pre-op diet started and told people once I had a sx date. I found that my co-workers and other non-close friends were actually pretty supportive. A lot actually approached me after sx asking questions about it because they were interested in it too. I'm pretty sure that in the back of my mind i'm always wondering what other people are thinking about me and my weight loss journey, but at the end of the day its all about you. Forget everyone else, your not doing this for them. If you want to tell them, I say go for it and shout it from the roof tops...if you don't, then that's fine too. I work with a doctor who did not tell anyone for almost 1 year post-op. I found that people talked about him more behind his back wondering "how he lost so much weight" and saying "you know he had to have had some type of sx" before finding out he actually had land then after. It's no one's business how or why you choose to have lap band, your doing this for you. :)

I told my family and best friend... then as time has gone by and I have visably lost a good deal of weight, I have decided to be honest and tell people what I had and why. I have had good responses. I have had a few people who are interested in the lapband for themselves... I have always been taught that honesty is the best policy.. it's like that Sharon Osbourne going on TV and claiming Adkins Diet products are the reason she has lost weight.. She had a lapband years ago... from what I understand. Star Jones had bypass but never admitted it for a long time.. it made people mad that she was dishonest or evasive.. It's your call but try not to worry too much about what other people think... it's your life and your health.. at your age you have a tremendous opportunity to live a good and normal life for many years... Good Luck and take care of yourself...

I am fours years out. I have only told a handful of people. My parents do not know, kids, boss, etc... Most of the people that I haven't told are people that are very opinionated and judgmental. My kids of course were just too young at the time to grasp what was happening. I don't generally tell people that are new into my life unless its someone struggling with weight loss and I can help them realize that wls is a viable option (that has happened with three co-workers) and of course my husband, however I did not tell him until after he proposed. I had a heart to heart with him that night and told him everything. I figured that I owed it to him to tell him before we got married.

When people asked about my initial surgery and all of my subsequent surgeries, I tell them it is female related as I also have been going through carcinoma in situ of the vagina for years. No one even questions me.

I'm right there with you! I'm 22 and I definitely think it's different being this young. I was going to tell people I was having my appendix out, but honestly people aren't stupid and if 6 months from now you're 50 pounds lighter after an "appendectomy" or whatever they're probably going to suspect it. I kind of had an easy was because I had knee surgery a few months ago, so my professors think I'm having a small followup surgery for that, so I can have a week off of school. None of my friends or anyone other than immediate family knows, and I intend to keep it that way! My mom is also a big mouth and I had to swear her to secrecy because I know she'd tell everyone. I guess since your mom already told people you were having surgery you could go with the hernia/gallbladder story and hope people aren't nosy enough to connect your weight loss with the surgery!

i I also had hiatal hernia repair so that's it...some I told but others just judge so it's none of their business.. thanks to a nosey sister she felt the need to tell my mom and my brother, although she told them i was doing gastric like her ??? no comparison in my mind so I set the record straight. but seriously i was pissed she had no right to tell anyone , let me do it it's my body my decision.....

My story is "HERNIA" and I'm sticking to it!

I have my surgery in 2 days and I've been trying to get to this surgery date since November. I haven't told anyone that I'm having surgery, but my mom started broadcasting that I'm having surgery soon. People are starting to approach and ask what I'm having surgery on and what for and all I know to say is on my stomach. I really don't want to tell anyone because I don't want people to think I'm just taking the easy way out. I'm 20 years old and I've been obese all of my life (morbidly obese since the 5th grade) and I've NEVER lost weight out all of the things I've tried. I literally can't fathom losing weight on my own... Anyway, does anyone know what I can tell people I'm having surgery for without having to tell the real reason. Really don't want that judgment, especially in this small town. I know people are going to judge anyway, but I went through enough explaining with my family and I know how others outside of family (and of a smaller size) could not be so understanding. And it's really not anyone's business, but I don't want to be rude when people 'act' like they're concerned about me going on that operation table.

Well you won't be able to keep it a secret long, your weight is going to come off very quickly and people will think you are sick. Eventually they will figure it out. You might be surprised at how many people come to you for advice if you tell them about the band. At least that was my experience, now that I am losing (rapidly I might add) I have even more people inquiring about the band - folks asking because they have a relative or a friend who could benefit from it. At your age, it's easy to be self-conscious about things like this, but you will be surprised once you open up. Good luck and don't worry what other people say, think or do - you are about to be smokin' hot and feeling fabulous in no time!

I kept it myself bar my parents and a few very close friends. I said I was having a hernia repaired to others, which is why I also slow down my eating when I'm out.

I was fortunate I had the surgery in between jobs, so I minimized the questions surrounding why I had time off.

12 months on, I've had very few people skeptical of why or how I've lost 30kgs, but I think they also see the lifestyle food and exercise changes as well which minimizes people prying.

I feel the people who are over weight and interested in the band as well would not be judgmental. However, the skinny little ones who have never experienced "WHAT THE WORLD" is like to be overweight would NOT have a clue how others do judge and treat you different. After being judged for being overweight to begin with, it just seems to reason WHY we don't want others to know...at least until it has worked for 50# or more.

I also wonder how many other people in Hollywood haev had it and never say a word.

I agree with what everyone has said, however, it is up to you how comforatble you are about people knowing, now or ever. I personally told only a handful of people I was getting my band, the rest I told I was was my hernia repaired. You do what is comfortable to YOU! Congratulations on the start of a new way of life and wish you a speedy recover!

Pardon me but you are passing up a prime opportunity to screw with people. Think up a really good story, like during a routine physical examination they found the remains of a partially separated twin that your body tried to absorb in the womb and it has started growing again and they have to remove it. Or simply tell them it is the first step in gender reassignment and walk off.

I can relate to you, it is hard being overweight your entire life and then having to tell people what you plan on doing about it. I did keep it between my family and I and a few close friends. Regardless of what you tell people, I'm happy for you. I'm happy that you are getting the surgery to better your self. Maybe once you start losing the weight and people can see how this can only benefit you, as long as we follow orders, then they will come to their own understanding. I wish you all the best, I know how exciting this can all be, anxious, nervous, and all the other emotions that come with it! You will be looking and feeling amazing and can just brush off all the negative things people have to say. :D Best Wishes to your success.