Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you Missy for sharing your story. We can all get caught up in life and use it as an excuse but that ultimately gets us nowhere. I'm so glad that you are doing better and I wish you nothing but the best in the continuation of your healing and healthy journey.

Life always tries to trip us up. You overcame it and that is awesome. Thanks for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to us all.

And I'm so very glad that you are on the fast track to recovery. Take care of yourself.

First let me start by saying this isn't a brag (at all) it's sharing my own story to make a point.

To put it bluntly, I'm coming out of what had to be the worst 3 months of my entire life.

In early April, my gallbladder went suddenly and I had to have that removed. During this time, my Grandma (whom I was extremely close to) was in hospice. I was by her side when she died 3 weeks later. A week after she passed, I was in the hospital again having a tummy tuck/skin removal/hernia repair surgery. A couple weeks into that healing process, I had my first severe MS exacerbation in 3 years. During that time, my uncle also suddenly and unexpectedly died of a Pulmonary Embolism after surgery for Pancreatic Cancer. It was around the time of his funeral I was beginning to realize there was something very wrong with me, too.

At the end of May, it was discovered I had severe blood clots in both legs. They extended from my knees all the way up into my groin. I was airlifted to an ICU 70 miles away where I spent the most painful, terrifying, and emotionally exhausting 8 days of my life. To put it bluntly, I almost died. Thanks to a new (but brutal) treatment for life threatening blood clots- not only did I live but I have no permanent damage to my legs. But..wow...the treatment and ICU stay were like torture.

So...this has been the last 3 months of my life. During all this turmoil, heart break, pain, and fear- I still managed to lose weight. Even when going through 2 surgeries, 2 funerals, and a near death experience I was still mindful of what I ate and tracked my calories. Yes, once I could eat again in the ICU, I even tracked my calories there. (I amused the heck out of the nurses by doing so, too lol) Did I slip up and cheat during all this? Yup I sure did- but when I did I still counted the calories and never let it get out of control.

My point to all this isn't to brag nor is it for pity. We all have stress and turmoil in our lives. We all have sadness and fear at some point, too. But you can NOT let life's obstacles be your excuse to eat poorly and gain weight. My point is if I can lose weight and be accountable for what I eat even during all this hell the last 3 months- there is absolutely no reason anyone else can't too.

Just my thoughts.

missy

i have been on the forum and have been familiar with you via your posts/blogs/comments and pm's..this posting by you is one i am glad you wrote..it is up to the person and to stop blaming everyone but themselves and like you pointed out, IT can be done no matter what rocks are in one's path...

all the best to you

your a sweetheart...

Amazing story and bot did it motivate me. I'm so sorry for your losses but also so appreciative that you took the time to share your story. I'm curious.. How many calories do you eat a day? I was never instructed to count calories, but rather grams of Protein

Thanks.Having trouble finding high Protein items. How or where do you get your ideas for meals from?

Thanks.Having trouble finding high Protein items. How or where do you get your ideas for meals from?

I'm on my phone right now so I can't post a link, but Skinny Taste and Emily Bites are both great sites for recipes. I'll post links when I get home later.

Mis - the human spirit never ceases to amaze me. You exemplify that. As a poster above stated.....you are a true warrior.

Thanks for this post. So many of us need a little shake every now and again; you provided that today.

Missy always inspirational... I hope your future journey is less rocky... as far as recipes.. emilybites is really a good site.. I made her crockpot brigiole... (italian rolled beef) and chicken enchiladas that were restraunt good...

Missy, I have been following you for over a year now. 7mths before even being band, I was picking your brain. Post op 8mths now, still following you. You are an excellent source of inspiration, a great teacher and faithful friend. Good or bad, you have been here helping others. I applaud you!

You are so right about stress. No one will get through their life without having to deal with it. No excuses, just do it.

Again, I applaud you!!!!

Thanks for sharing, what an inspiration you are and always have been to me. So thankful you lived thru it all and continued to succeed in all that. Godspeed to you in your healing process and many prayers to you and your family for your loss. You are a mighty warrior, girl.

I always love your stories Ms. 73. Whether you're a religious person or not God has you on this earth for a reason. I am truly motivated by your posts. I think that may be a reason that we are blessed with your knowledge and experience with the Lapband. Great job!

I always love your stories Ms. 73. Whether you're a religious person or not God has you on this earth for a reason. I am truly motivated by your posts. I think that may be a reason that we are blessed with your knowledge and experience with the Lapband. Great job!

Thank you :)

I am a very spiritual person, actually. I very much believe in God and pray to Him daily. In fact, I believe thoroughly the only I reason I lived through the blood clots without permanent damage was because of the enormous amount of prayer cover I was receiving from tons of people.

Awesome post as always Missy!! Wow, it sounds like you literally were living in hell... I'm glad that you pulled through. God is good!! It's so true that everyone will have stress/bad situations in life. We all let ourselves down from time to time and make bad food choices. But, it's what you do afterwards that matters!

The other day I had a health scare with a VERY close person to me. That night I went out to dinner and ate 1,400 calories! Which included an Oreo sundae.. Did it make me feel better? Nope. Did it taste good? YES ;) but it would be easy to continue to eat crappy, but the next morning I went on my 3 mile jog/walk like planned, made better good choices and got right back on track! If you can do it going through what you went through, everyone else can too!

P.S. I did chuckle thinking of you counting calories in ICU. That's dedication right there!! :)

Awesome post as always Missy!! Wow, it sounds like you literally were living in hell... I'm glad that you pulled through. God is good!! It's so true that everyone will have stress/bad situations in life. We all let ourselves down from time to time and make bad food choices. But, it's what you do afterwards that matters!

The other day I had a health scare with a VERY close person to me. That night I went out to dinner and ate 1,400 calories! Which included an Oreo sundae.. Did it make me feel better? Nope. Did it taste good? YES ;) but it would be easy to continue to eat crappy, but the next morning I went on my 3 mile jog/walk like planned, made better good choices and got right back on track! If you can do it going through what you went through, everyone else can too!

P.S. I did chuckle thinking of you counting calories in ICU. That's dedication right there!! :)

I won't lie, the ICU was hell, but God IS good and He saw me through it all :)

It was actually kinda funny in the ICU. I couldn't eat until the 5th day I was there because I was being sedated daily for the TPA procedure to dissolve the blood clots. But my very first meal was complete junk- I actually complained to the food service woman asking how they could feed sick people fried, fatty trash? I'm not kidding, it was *that* bad. My nurse overheard and said there were some Ensure shakes at the nurse's station- did I want one? YES!!

The Ensure shakes weren't nearly high enough in Protein and were too high in calories, however I still had one brought to me with every meal. This way, when the food served was nothing I'd even consider eating, I'd just send it back and have the Ensure instead. 85% of the time the Ensure was the better option.