Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you think?W

It seems like every now and again we get someone who posts out of the blue that their band is terrible, hurt them, worst thing they ever did.

What do you all think is the best way to deal with this?

a-be supportive and ask questions

b-outright accuse them of being a troll

c-ignore

just curius, since I'm sorta new here, don't post much and don't want 2 step on anyone's toes.

SG

All surgeries have risks, and WLS surgeries aren't any different. WLS is elective, however.

I think there are some clinics who put profit above the welfare of the patient. Anyone considering the band should be carefully screened to see if the band is necessary, and if the procedure is in the best interests of the patient. There were some horror stories about a clinic in the LA area that ended up being investigated by the FDA.

I am sure there are many folks who have had bad experiences with the band or other surgeries. Their stories should serve as a reminder to all of us that any surgery can go wrong. I think they are doing a service by reporting the problems they encountered, and I do empathize with them.

However, there are some who only bash the band... no information about the quality of the surgeon who did the procedure, etc. Or, how well they followed the pre and post surgery instructions, or follow up visits. Those are the ones I ignore. Ever notice the number of problems from posters who don't do regular follow up visits, or who have profit above patient providers?

T

I think a combination of all of the above.

I have found a similar theme amongst the online boards though, which is no one wants to hear the negative no matter WHY it happened. I wanna know it all!!! but that's ME ;)

Some people have been hurt, in pain etc.. So yeah they come on a "little strong" I also see that if someone is content they don't visit the boards,if they need help/support they do.

No one one wants to be in that situation,BUT IT HAPPENS. I usually read it, keep it in mind, and move on if I have nothing to offer I move on..Why make them feel worse? that serves no purpose.

No one knows all of what is needed to know about this or any other surgery. I wish I knew how to "vet"a surgeon that would be awesome, But what do we really have to go on? other's opinion's what that doctor tells us? unfortunately the Doctor's only tell us the complications that they are given by the manufacturer :( And most people don't really want to know ALL the possible complications.

I also like to read the positive & negative I prefer the positive butwant to know what happened to the ones that had coplications so if any thing ever goes wrong or doezn' t seem right in the way ( I ) feel then I will text or call my Awsome Surgeon right away

I really think that people post negative to try to deter people who have not gotten banded yet to make them run away from it. I also think that everyone needs to know that most people fail the band and that less of the time the band fails people. Yes its good to know the good, the bad, the ugly however most of the negative things that happen are from their own fault, not following instructions. Most band slips come from over eating and throwing up a lot as well as esophageal dilation. Erosion also comes from over eating. It all depends what it is they are being negative about.

I think it's good to hear a variety of opinions about things that can go wrong. What about things like fibromyalgia and other types of auto immune disorders that some ppl think are triggered by silicone devices? This is the type of thing that scares me just a little bit.

I'm so close to goal and would just freak out if anything went wrong with my tool!

I found this information about erosion quite interesting, seems like ven the doctor's don't know Why. :wacko:

How does Stomach Erosion happen in LapBand Patients

]Intragastric band erosions have been reported at rates that vary from 3 to 10% depending on the operatory technique or surgeon´s experience, the device used and the patient’s eating behavior. There are several different and controversial theories for the cause of erosion:[/font]

• The LapBand around the stomach gradually erodes into the stomach wall over time, and goes into the gastric lumen, as we have seen with other intrabdominal devices.

• The stomach damage done during the LapBand procedure debilitates the layers of the stomach wall, resulting in erosion at a later time.

• The sutures were placed too deep and trespassed all the wall layers of the stomach, causing micro perforations that generate leaking, infection and later erosion.

• Events that happens inside the stomach, such as frequent vomiting, medications, ingestion of irritants as spicy or hot food, alcohol, etc. as well as a large adjustment to the band system, will produce an ulcer that penetrates toward the balloon of the band.

[I believe the last theory is the most consistent and also the most frequently seen in the vast majority of patients with erosion. Other theories, such as a crease or a fold in the balloon, which may harm and erode the stomach lining, were not scientifically proven. We have seen erosion with all kinds ofLapBands and with all kinds of balloons and find no correlation with the fold theory.

]Once the erosion-ulcer is established it is not possible to cure the ulcer, not even by removing all the Fluid in the band. Therefore the need to remove the band itself becomes imperative. I recommend the band be removed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE,not because this is an emergency in any way, but because there is a risk of increasing the ulcer’s size. Removing the Lapband can help to decrease the risk of complications such as infection traveling along the hose to the port and to the skin, or stomach bleeding.

How Can LapBand Erosion be Prevented?

]There are several ways to prevent erosion. The first way that I personally recommend is to avoid “large fills” to the LapBand, in order to prevent vomiting or gastric reflux. The second way that I recommend is to protect the stomach with anti-acids frequently, especially at bed time. The thirdrecommendation is to avoid alcohol, hot or spicy food, vinegar, soy sauce, and coffee. Talk with your Doctor about the medications you are actually taking and ask about exchanging the ones that can hurt your stomach for others with the same effect but less stomach irriation.

']http://arturorodrigu...ap-band-erosion

if in doubt or concerned, ask your dr..that is what i do

i read things on here, then write them down and ask my dr on my monthly follow ups

I do keep a list of questions, worries to ask about at my dr visits. Being over 21/2 years out, I don't go as often. I'm very lucky. I hit the green zone with my 3rd fill and have stayed there. I go in for a check up once a year now.

I guess my concern is what if someone comes on here, really hurting, and tries to vent do we give them support or what?

I read a post that sorta made me think its not ok to post if you are suffering complications or unhappy with your weighth loss.

I generally try and ignore trolls, but for the other two I try and fight FUD with Facts. For instance, every times somebody mentions that they know someone that had a problem I mention the studies that show long term effectiveness.

The complications that happened for me at the beginning nearly made me demand the band be removed and I seriously questioned why I'd made this decision. But, posting on here I actually got some good feedback which I appreciated AND helped me solve my issues. I'd been dryheaving hours at a time for three weeks after being banded...turned out to be caused by Vitamins of all things.

If someone is attacking others for having the band or just generally telling us we're stupid for taking this route then I ignore them, but if they are having complications and really want some advice/help then I'd try and give it if I can.

As a side note...Lots of times people say to just see the doctor (which I find unhelpful because its likely they already have a call in to their doctor) but the ones who try and help using their own experiences I really appreciate.

I think it's important to share your experience if you can relate. That's what this forum is for. Support. Your never going to agree with everything everyone says. There will be times where you may think someone is doin all the wrong things. But I don't think it's anyone's place to criticise or 'troll' simply because you don't agree. If someone asks for tips or advice. That's the time to post your thoughts. But I know half the time I come on here to vent and seek out others who are feelin **** too. And it's nice to know I'm Not on my own when I have a bad day with it. No one wants to feel patronised by people who have done it a long time and think they know it all. Everyone is at different stages with their journey.