Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 11 mos post op and have undergone 2 surgeries in this 11 months and about to go under anesthesia again in about 3 weeks for a 3rd time. My hair was already baby fine but now, now it's falling out, thin. I can't get enought or all my Protein I should get in, in a day's time, I take 3000 mcg's of Biotin. My hair has no body, it's horrible. I experienced dry brittle and breaking hair about 2 mos in and got that under control now this! My surgeon said the following: add a Protein Bar or Protein shake to your diet each day", well hello, that's calories and I'm sorry I could just gag over another Protein Shake but I certainly don't want to lose my hair if that is what I need to do. How much Biotin do I need to take and does it cause your hair to be super soft or limp/no body?

Thanks

Donna

Could you maybe add unflavoured Protein Powder to some things you already eat ?

oh shoot, why didn't I think of that? lol. Does it change the texture of foods? i.e. cottage cheese or tunafish or chicken salad?

Yes stuff like that, I can't imagine it would change the texture , one way to find out I guess, I'm not banded yet but getting worried about the hair issues people seem to have

thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I will be visiting GNC tomorrow after church, ha. Good luck on your surgery.

No problem , I hope it helps thinning hair is no fun , my hair falls out from stress so I know how awful it can be

Hey Donna,

Biotin doesn't remain in the body over time. Make sure you take it EVERYDAY for maximum efficacy.

I take 5,000 mg of Biotin per day. I get it at Trader Joe's (don't know if they have stores all over the country). It helps, but I'm not certain that it helps with the reason we lose hair with WLS.

So far, at about 8 weeks out, I haven't noticed any Hair loss. Like you, my hair is already very fine, and I don't have an abundance of it. I can't AFFORD to lose any!! So far, so good. But I DO get in all of my Protein, and I keep my calories to 1,000/day. I think not letting calories drop below this number helps a great deal.

Donna - are you eating Protein rich foods at every meal? Then, maybe some Greek yogurt for a snack? I also hate the Protein shakes, and now most days I'm able to get in a good 70-80 grams of protein with real food.

One of my favorite lunches is 1/2 can of Kirkland tuna (from Costco), made with Hellman's lowfat mayo. The tuna is 24 grams of protein, and is GREAT with the low fat mayo; VERY satisfying. Greek yogurt is another 13 grams of protein (I eat some most every day), and adding in some sort of meat/chicken/fish for dinner, and eggs for Breakfast.....I'm there! If you're having a difficult time meeting your protein requirements from food alone, are you using up a lot of calories with low protein carbs?

The good news (if there is any) about WLS related hair loss, is that it grows back (so I hear). I hope that I don't go through it. I have a hair appointment on Friday, and my hairdresser will tell me if she sees thinning.

PS: I have found that the unflavored Protein powder DOES change the texture of things. Maybe in something like cottage cheese, it won't matter. I haven't tried it in that, yet.

I'm praying this doesn't happen to me, I'm on methotrexate (chemo) for severe arthritis... I use to have the most beautiful curly thick hair... And now it's flat and just falls out already, I don't need anymore coming out! That's one thing I never thought of... And I'm only 28:(

I'm just curious do you take a multi - viatamin? Or any other supplements besides the Biotin. I bought a liquid multi - viatamin, B-complex, Calcium, and powdered fruits and vegi mix. I think I'll add the Biotin too to be safe. May hair is super fine and thin I can't afford to lose any. I get banded the 28th of May. I hope all these help. Good luck with yours.

I had my surgery Dec 2010 - about 2 or so months after surgery my nice (not so thick but enogh) long curly blonde nice truned to fizzy straw. I started on 1000mg of Biotin and it took a littlw while but it did get better. After a good hair cut it was great I also increased to the 5000mg. know since loosing weight I am comfortable with a shorter hair cut an dmy hair had remained healthy. Not sure if it was Biotin or not but I have not stopped taking it!

Where do you all get the Biotin ? Is it chewable?

I get mine at Trader Joe's, but you can buy it anywhere; even at the pharmacy.

All of the Biotin I've ever taken is in capsule form. I've never seen it chewable.< /p>

Thank you , I think I will get some and start early ,my poor hair already has issues