Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rosacea

Hi darling, does this happen just on your face? Did it just pop up out of the blue, perhaps allergies to something new around you?

I finally typed up the recipe for my homemade product, if you want it emailed just let me know. If anyone needs help finding an ingredient or with plant ID I'd be happy to help.

I went to the doctor for skin irration. the doctor said it was roscea, I'm glad, I thought it may have been some allergic reaction to the band. Doc said, it was not contagious, and people only have 1 outbreak of it, and can last 6-12 weeks.

..Well into year twelve of my rosacea outbreak... Do you think if I went to your Doc it would go away?

Okay, I like the olive oil but it doesn't replace my Metrogel. I need that stuff. But I still dab a tiny bit of olive oil on the outside corners of and under my eyes. I was staring at my skin and saw a glimpse of the 80yo me with the baggy wrinkly eye thing going on. Aging stinks. I'm amazed how much of it I have had to deal with since I turned 40. Some of it may be weight loss related, but I'm starting to show my age, for sure. I don't get carded at the liquor store. I don't look 20?!!! How'd that happen?!!! LOL

Something interesting...

could it be the Water???

We recently went to visit Mike's family... ((Hi Kathy :wave: -LOVED*loved*LOVED- the visit with you)) His parents have a well-water supplying their Water to the house (not city water). Plus we stayed in a hotel 2 nights - that's several face washings with softer water.

Here at home our water is extremely HARD.

The results were obvious. Once we were home, I noticed how much softer/smoother (not rough looking) my face was - even my hair wasnt as dry. The water was the ONLY thing different in my regimine.

As mental as I am, now Im thinking of washing my face with bottled water.

Heck of alot cheaper then all those scripts for creams and oils.

*sigh* the saga continues.

Well, I have read and read about Rosacea. Seems to happen to women after they have a baby. Seems to happen to light/pale women (Irish, etc).

I have tried Metrogel, Goldbond (don't do it... it burns), OTC creams, special soaps, etc. And your doctor is right, you have to find out what is right for YOU. My rosecea is so bad it looks like someone took curling irons after my face to burn my cheeks. It hurts, it itches, and my life is miserable when I break out.

I have not worn make up in over 8 years, no mascara, no eyeshadow, no foundation, NOTHING because it will set off my face. I have tried everything.

I have finally found somethings that work for me.

1. www.personandcovey.com/ has products to wash your face with dermatologist recommended, etc. I use aquanil cleansing lotion, and DML facial moisturizer (only once in a while). Ivory soap works well too.

2. I protect my face against cold air in the winter. (This is when I break out the worst.)

3. I wear a hat in the summer to protect against the sun.

4. Found Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals makeup. I can wear the mascara, eye shadow, and lip stick/gloss. (I have not been brave enough to try the base yet)

My face has become my "infection o'meter" if my face breaks out really bad, I know I have an infection somewhere. My doctor says it helps him out alot. :cool: A round of antibiotics seems to calm it down as well as get rid of the infection. But it never goes away. NEVER.

Hope something here helps you.

I have rosecea - I've never actually been treated by the dermo for it, though. Mine is generally manageable, but I have oily skin. To make matters worse, I live in Houston which is HAWT & humid - sweat city.

I've tried all of the mineral makeups like Bare Minerals (they're supposed to be good for rosecea) & they work pretty well in the winter when I'm less sweaty and oily. However in the summer, if I wear them and get hot and/or sweaty my skin itches and burns. Besides the fact that the powder melts into the oil - yuck. What kind of makeup do you oily skinned ladies use? I'm constantly blotting...

I use loose powder by Coty...cheap stuff from the drug store. I apply it with a round make-up sponge. I buy the "Extra Coverage" formula. But I'm not so oily, so it works well and doesn't seem to clog too much. My face does better when I wash it gently twice a day and use great moisturizers. And my Metrogel on clean, dry skin, under my moisturizer.

Just an FYI: I have been researching mineral makeup, and it seems that the name brand Bare Minerals/Escentuals contains Bismoth that can cause skin to itch, and can irritate some skin. Ebay has some sellers of mineral makeup that does not contain Bismoth or Talc. I just bought a sample to try. Will let you know how it goes!!

Hi Paula! :wave:

The Water issue could be a factor...but I saw your skin in person, and I see what you mean about it not looking smooth, but I don't think it's Rosacea. Has you skin gotten "worse" since you are home and using your hard Water? I have well water but mine is super hard. I have the lime and mineral deposits on my shower door...yuck! and I always look forward to going to the beach because the water there is so much softer. I definately feel a difference in my skin and hair when showering there.

Do you think maybe hormones are a factor? I wonder if doing a microdermabrasion would help you?

I couldn't do a microdermabrasion AT ALL. The Metrogel helps alot with my rosacea, but I still have trouble with black heads across my nose, and little white "postules"? on my chin. My skin is not in great shape, but it doesn't hurt, and that's an improvement. Facials are very helpful for my pores, but cause lots of skin irritation. I can soothe it easily with the Metrogel though, so I think I'll hit the spa for a facial soon. Time to clean those pores!

I tried the mineral make-up and it doesn't do well on my skin. I have no idea why. But I seem to be an odd bird in many areas of my life...I'm used to it! LOL

Ok here is my update regarding http://www.smokymountainminerals.com/ It is inexpensive and it works. I bought the 7 piece sample pack and love it. It has kind of a matte finish to it, but the mineral veil helps that. I use the bronzer as eye makeup. Have had no breakouts, and actually love how I look now. Since I have not worn makeup in forever, it makes me feel pretty. For under $25.00 it was worth a shot.

I also have rosacea and did you know it is hereditary?? My mom has it and well I do too. Stress is the number one reason it acts up. I use this face wash called Rosula and it is so awesome. My face feels like silk! i love it! I also use finacea and condran for bad cases and that makes everything feel great. I use loprox Shampoo for my scalp and that makes the flakiness there go away! ask your dermatologist about these items, they are great! I used the metrogel and it made it worse- dried everything out something ugly!

My brother in law had rosacea and asked me for help and this is what I found out (it's a little bit creepy). We all have a parasite called the demodex folliculorm mite growing on our skin. The face will sometimes get too many of them living and reproducing in single follicles which then causes what you see as rosacea. Research has shown that buckthorn oil in soaps and creams works. We ordered some online for my BIL and it worked for him. Overgrowth of these creatures is also associated with persistent acne. You don't want to see electron microscope photos of these guys!

Devana

Paula: I have been using the regimen from Murad, go to Murad.com and they have special products for red/irritated faces. I love this stuff! I feels so good going on, very cooling, and helps take the redness away. It is a little pricey, and I am very tight, but I will pay for this stuff because is works for me. I hope you find your personal solution, too.