Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why not CHEAT??!!?

Perfecto! This is how I wanted to explain it, but bravo!!!! That should be the last answer and explanation to the creator's question.

Paul you hit the nail on the head.

One thing I want to add, and it is because the thread's creator had her surgery in MX I believe, is that you can still have aftercare if your surgery is done outside of your state or country. The key is to line up a doctor locally before your surgery abroad. I see this as a program like paul said. You really need to have someone locally you can go to, and trust, and ask questions of, and all that jazz. For instance, my surgeon is Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mx. I trust him. I trust his staff. I would not choose anyone else to go to. But obviously I can not go and see him once a week right after surgery. So I went to him and asked him who he would like for me to interview here as aftercare doctors. He gave me names of people to check on, and I chose Dr. Jessee who's office is within 10 miles of me. I have my aftercare lined up, and I feel comfortable and secure in going forward with my "program".

Great point Paul!! Well said.

Exactly right, Paul.

You see, the thing is... I don't come here to tell people how great I have done on my program, or to preach at them, or to lecture. But if someone posts a question such as this, and is asking for input, I'm going to offer them the what I know works. I -am- following the rules. I do -not- cheat. So what? That doesn't mean I'm hear to preach at anyone about it. I don't need to convert anyone. What I do need to do is answer questions honestly so I don't mislead anyone. I know that by following the rules I have seen very good results. So, I will pass on what I am doing as my advice. In addition to that, I will always direct people to their doctor for guidance in their program. This is what we should be doing. Not coddling each other and telling each other that it's ok to cheat. I hate seeing people saying that it's ok to screw yourself over after you've invested money, time, pain, and hopes into something you obviously wanted a great deal. I am going to offer only encouragement to do what is proven to help others succeed.

I think that those who see this as preachy or lecturing are most likely struggling with it themselves and don't like having that pointed out. Noone is here to tell you that you're a failure. We are here to tell you the truth. And when the truth hurts, dont shoot the messenger.

Boy, you are off the site for a few days and all heck breaks out.

I am a medical professional. But I have to say DDeidre really answered the"medical question" about as well as it is going to be answered. All food other than Clear liquids will make the stomach churn and even Clear Liquids to some extent. I expect the original conception was to decrease the bulk in the pocket while the band is scarring in. We limit patients getting an implant for other reasons from certain types of activities to allow this scarring to hold the implant in place. Lot's of people do not fully follow these restrictions and have no complications. Some people follow their restrictions perfectly and do have complications. Most post op instructions for almost anything is not studied-it is based on a surgeon/physician's underlying knowledge of physiology and pathology and his or her experience.

A second point that has been alluded to here but let me answer "medically". We screen all of our implant patients psychologically. One of our main issues that we look for (and there are many others) is compliance. We look at things like how well the individual respects authority and follows orders. The reason is just like the lap band-lack of compliance-no matter how wonderfult the implanted device-will lead to failure. Some implanted devices do not require a whole bunch of patient compliance (heart defibrillator comes to mind) but most others do require that the individual be on program.

As a health care provider-a patient coming in with the question-Why not cheat?-would be a major red flag. Not that informed consent is not incredibly important-I spend tons of time on it-but there are so many things that I can't fully explain and the patient just needs to go with me at the end of the day.

Wow, talking about this as a healthcare provider almost seems.....dangerous. I don't talk too much in this voice outside of work because I hear from others so much how they feel their health care provider has failed them-and I listen to their stories and I get that. I feel bad because in total-most of us cannot ever fully be there all of the time for all of you. American health care sucks in its current organization and its health care providers are just cogs in the machine-when they spend extra time for you, it is taken out of the next patients time, or their families...

Weight is a flash point for most of us here-if it weren't a point of passion and pain, we wouldn't be here. I think we can be passionate in our views-but it is difficult to be gentle in our words when we think that someone is harming themselves. And then the darn internet does not convey our compassion.

Now -thats- the kind of post from a medical provider that is unbiased and HELPFUL. I applaud you, Murphles.

"Weight is a flash point for most of us here-if it weren't a point of passion and pain, we wouldn't be here. I think we can be passionate in our views-but it is difficult to be gentle in our words when we think that someone is harming themselves. And then the darn internet does not convey our compassion."

Yes! I hope everyone reads this and really takes it to heart!

Hi Amy,

I live in Tampa as well and also am going to Dr.Jessee for aftercare. Isn't she the best? I was banded in TJ and felt that she was the best doctor around here. Her fills are a bit expensive but I beleive it is worth it. Good luck!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

237/212/150

5'7''

I only read the first page of this thread and will read the rest when I'm done with what I have to say, but it is very important to stick to post-dietary guidelines after stomach surgery - or any surgery for that matter. Just because some people feel physically okay, that doesn't mean it's safe for everyone.

Try to think back to basics at how "digestion" works. As food is introduced into the stomach, the stomach begins to churn/move/wiggle (as previously explained.) You want to keep your stomach as calm as possible to give the band a chance to settle and all your stitches time to heal.

To add in my own thoughts, many people become constipated during the first month of being banded. Do you really want to struggle with a bowel movement and put extra pressure anywhere near your belly because nothing bad happened to you when you tried some solid foods?

Just like if you had a big cut on your finger that just started to heal over; you might be able to bend and twist without making the wound burst back open, but that doesn't mean you're ready for cartwheels.

I saw lots of deleted posts, which is really screwed up since everyone around here knows that I'm the only crazy person that deletes posts! Who said you guys can delete posts? Damn, I can't stay away so long any more!

"Furthermore, I think we aren't giving Danielle enough credit. To assume that she will do whatever a bunch of internet nerds either give her permission or not give her permission to do is a little patronizing."

OMG, the post diet band rules need to be rewritten to include: AVOID LAUGHTER AT EVERY EXPENSE! If I still had a band it would have flung into a kidney with that "internet nerds" comment along with the "Soup Nazi" analogy. I love you people!

Dani, by now you've probably learned the hard way that everyone has different opinions and defends their doctors' at the expense of others' feelings, but Leatha gave you enough information right from Inamed (makers of the Lapband) to answer your original question. Good luck to you, and take it from a gal who lost her band due to erosion - do whatever it takes to keep your band healthy without taking unecessary risks. Many doctors will tell you that you'll be able to lead a normal life after you've completely healed, but how many of us would consider bungy jumping? Hell, I even covered my belly in large crowds because I felt it was best to protect my investment, just in case. And please pass the Ritz.

The Slumber Nazi

Not that informed consent is not incredibly important-I spend tons of time on it-but there are so many things that I can't fully explain and the patient just needs to go with me at the end of the day.

I hate to get back into this, but I don't want this discussion to end on that note. I am not a child, and "just because I said so" is no longer an appropriate or sufficient response. Until I get a response that is logical to me, I will not "just go with it" at the end of the day. Requiring reasonable explanations for things that don't make sense to me does not make me non-compliant and does not mean that I am trying to sabotage my own success. It means that I paid for a service, not a favor, and I intend to get my money's worth out of my surgery.

I have been asked to expound on my "distrust" for my own physician. I kindly ask that you don't read between the lines and take my previous posts at face value. I never said that I did not trust my doctor. In fact, I never asked my doctor to explain the post-op diet. I told him I was ready to eat solid food, and he said, "OK, GO FOR IT. YOU MUST HAVE HEALED MORE QUICKLY. JUST CHEW WELL."

My reluctance to believe these doomsday band scenarios comes from my confusion over why my doctor would let me eat normally versus why you all think I am the newest rogue band terrorist for sharing my personal experience.

For the bajillionth-and-a-half time, regardless of with which post-op procedure you agree, there is nothing wrong with saying, "Some doctors, like mine, are more lenient. Why don't you ask YOUR doctor about it to see if he is one of those?"

:deadhorse:

I really don't want to lock this thread because something very valuable is being addressed. So please, people, lighten up!

Alexandra, what would it take to bribe you into changing your mind about that?

:deadhorse:

. . . . . FLOG! . .. . . . . . FLOG! . .. . . . . . FLOG!