Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Sabotage after a loved ones death

Hey there, my name is Lauren and I haven't been on here in a long while. Some background about me: my surgery was May 11, 2012. I began my journey at 244lbs and am now 174-180 (I haven't weighed in for a bit) That is a total weight loss of around 70lbs! I have about 30 more to go. This will end up a total weight loss of 100lbs.

My dear cousin passed away at the tender age of 13 from a disease called Cystic Fibrosis. This was December 23, 2012. From there I managed to lose around 10lbs and haven't lost anything since.

A month ago I had to get an un fill due to heart burn symptoms and gained 5 back. From then on I hit a serious problem of sabotaging my weight loss. I went swim suit shopping and was devastated to find skin hanging from my thighs and stomach...especially after all the hard work I've put in.

At this point, I feel like I am at risk for gaining more weight back. I have been making poor food choices and haven't been working out like I did before. In the end I feel like I could really benefit from fellow bandsters and their support to help me get back on track.

I love this forum and everyone's support. Thanks.

Lauren

Lauren, don't give up! Never ever give up! You can do this! I understand that the stress of death in the family my waylay your progress, but climb back up on the band wagon go after what you want.

I'm going through this right now!! Don't give up! What's on my mind at the moment is to at least maintain. My Father is in hospice care and the emotions are running wild. Right now, I have no appetite but I'm very conscious of wanting to indulge to ease my pain. I'm having a hard time focusing on anything! He is so proud of my progress and knows I've done this so that I don't end up in poor health. I've eliminated meds already and hope to continue. Not sure what I would do without this site, right now.

Losing a loved one is so tough, so emotionally draining. My heart goes out to everyone who has and will go through this. I guess we all grieve in different ways, sometimes we don't grieve for months after our loss. What can I say to make things better, to make things right, probably nothing but I do feel for you. Please don't forget about yourself, remember your journey that brought you so far and how successful you were and how proud everyone is of you. We mourn their loss but I believe they are in a better place, without pain and at peace. Don't give up, don't give in...you have an awful lot of family right here to help you along the way.

At this point, I feel like I am at risk for gaining more weight back. I have been making poor food choices and haven't been working out like I did before.

This is the scariest part of the band for me, my band continues to work only if I maintain the lifestyle choices that go along with it. I feel your pain at the loss of someone close to you, if only there was a band for our emotional eating.

A couple of few suggestions.

1. You have lost approximately 65 pounds, sit down and compare your life pre-band to where you are now. Take a piece of paper out and split it have Pre-Band and Post and and list the differences in your life. Reconnect with why you chose to be banded.

2. Go back to basics, start weighing yourself, logging your foods, counting your Protein and calories, tracking your measurements, visit your NUT. Sign up with a free service like My Fitness Pal and add other banders as friends (my username is poperszky).

3. Give yourself permission to grieve, but do not give yourself permission to do self-harm in the process. Would your cousin want to see you gain your weight back?

First if all..I am so sorry for your loss, that is truly tragic. I think everyone on this forum at one point as been an emotional eater. I am for sure. You have came far and I know that you will get right back on track. I would start exercising first. That helps so much with stress and will keep your mind occupied. I would see my doctor again and maybe a nutrition too. I hope this helps and I pray that God gives you comfort during this time of grief.

Terry,

Thank you so much for the pointers! I tried to add you on MFP but couldn't find where to search. My UN is bandedlauren.

Sorry for your loss. food can be a great comfort. Tomorrow is a new day. It is never to late to start again. When I get off track, I have to constantly remind myself about the reasons why I chose the band. I will be praying for you.

Hi Lauren -

Congratulations on recognizing this early on and asking for help. I can SO relate. 3 years ago I had a friend pass away and I fell completely off the wagon and gained 60 lbs back. Now I am trying to get back on track and it is so much harder with the time off.

Take the advice of our fellow bandsters. Focus on your health --- food comfort isn't real, as soon as you are done eating guilt steps in.

I decided to start couch to 5k last Wednesday. I did skip today but will get exercising tomorrow. Working out really helps my eating habits. I have yet to step on the scale but plan to pull it out of hiding tomorrow. My scale really does help motivate me as does all of your very caring comments! Thank you all so much for your kind words. My eating habits are on and off, today was a very bad day but I have full intentions of jumping back on the band wagon (that was meant to be punny) tomorrow first thing in the morning.

I will continue to update everyone and would love continued support. Thanks!

Lauren