Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies Stage Recipes

Kele Kana, I wish I weren't so tired, I'd get into this a little more, I have in the past but couldn't find my post..... Yes, mushy is after full liquids and generally , by my understanding , is anything you don't have to chew! puree is mushy, the above "mushy tuna casserol with canned peas and carrots only drained I don't think should be "mushy"( unless you are then putting it in the mini chopper) so you need to be carefull! you should be hooked up with a nutritionish with what ever program you are on. She/he could and should be giving you more complete info on this. mean while I'll try to find what I previously wrote and redirect, Enjoy the new phase! I did!

Kele Kana,

It depends on what your doctor allows. My doctor told me that the mushie stage was anything you feed and infant under 12 months of age. I could definitely see not eating ground beef or something but tuna was on my list and you do have to chew it. Canned peas and carrots (diced) are so soft that you barely have to chew it. It just depends on what your doctor says and what you feel is mushie. Then again, I didn't start the mushie foods until 4 weeks after being banded. Every doctor is different.

So wouldn't it be really great if all these Drs. could get it together and establish a fairly set guide line for all of us?! I could see how they might individualize it for some special conditions, but a basic plan should be established!!! So, for me and my Layhe Clinic banders,post op is:

1 week of Clear Liquids, (inc. Protein drinks)then:

2ed of Full liquids, this can be smooth Soups, Tomato, what ever, just blenderize it , I made fish chowder and blended it , OMG it was good, it got me through! ALSO to include 3 Protein Drinks per day made with 8oz skim or 1% milk day 1 through wk. 5 .

Wk. 3 & 4 add chewable multi vit. , cottage chees, ricotta, "thin" mashed potatoes, cream of wheat or blenderized oatmeal, & pureed fruit (smooth applesauce is good and easy).

Wk. 5 start adding slowly, 1 egg 1st day, 2ed, the egg & 2 or 3 oz tuna, 3rd day, egg, fish and ground turkey breast. Here you can start to get creative. you should still keep it fairly "mushy" or soft.

WEEK 6:whoo:lose the protein drinks, add chewable Calcium , cont. multi vits. and go to regular diet!!! as always, eat your protein first , etc, etc.

I found my mini chopper EXTREAMLY helpful in getting me through. you would be supprized at how good something can taste even if it is mush!

So...... at the risk of upsetting anyone, this is a detailed plan of what my drs. wanted, use what you can , check it out with your Dr. and for god sake, give your stomach time to heal! They don't want you eating anything that needs chewing even if it is soft just so as to not have any accidential passage of any lumps that could cause a problem. one thing that you don't want to do is triger one of the side effects that could cause damage before you heal. ie, "productive burping' "foaming" (that's one you DON"T want), sliming, etc. :cry trust me , it ain't fun! I discovered this after my 1st fill, didn't believe the Dr, cuz "I" was different , "I" was a great healer with the cast Iron stomach that never had a problem!!!! Wrong! So, some of us have to learn be experience! maybe it won't have to be you;).

Cheri52,

You're right, there should be an established plan for all bansters. It's kinda weird that alot of patients' plans are different. Now i'm starting to second guess what i've been eating. I haven't noticed any problems like sliming or pbing. Hopefully everythings still in the right place.

I know this might sound really gross but for whatever reason, I had been craving a hot dog since I had started the pre-op liquids. Soooo, after I switched to mushies, I threw a hot dog in the Magic Bullet with chili, onions, cheese, ketchup, and mustard. Sounds gross but it actually tasted great. Gross was when my mom wanted to get creative and do the above mixture with the hot dog bun also mixed it...

I know many people can't tolerate Pasta. Would it make a difference if it was an angel hair Pasta instead of a regular spaghetti or ziti??

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I used to substitute pasta with spaghetti squash. I found it to be fairly comperable with a good sauce. I don't know if it would count as mushy... but I thought I'd throw it out there.... you take a spaghetti squash, pierce several fork holes in it... cook it in the microwave for 10-12 minutes, cut the squash in half, and use a fork to pull and scrape out the "spaghetti".

I found a good Soup recipe on another site. I made it last night and it was FABULOUS! I didn't have quite everything I needed, but this is what I did.

In a blender:

1 large can of peeled tomatoes

1 medium to large, peeled, cucumber

1/4 c onion

1/4 c cilantro

1/4 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

garlic to taste...I like a lot

a few dashes of hot sauce

1 tsp of lime juice

Chill and eat.

Yum....it's sooo good. The only ingredient that I did not have was a bell pepper. I think it would be a great with the addition of the pepper.

I figured it up. It made approximately 24 ounces of soup...can eat it all for around 200 calories.

I am so glad these are here. I started the mushie stage and had no idea what to have. I thought I was going to have to have tuna for 2 weeks.

Is soft mushie food the same as puree? I have already been on the liquid stage for 10 days and must do 14 days of liquid.

yes and more! things like cottage cheese, ricotta, loose mashed potatoes, blenderized oatmeal, just keep it wet and soft. I think you will get the idea if you read back some. your food chopper will be your best friend! what ever you want , just put in in there! I found that adding a little chicken broth will help with the consistincy and add a little flavor to most things but of course change that to what ever seems best. beef broth, fish stock, Tomato juice ,milk, etc. congratus on your surgery:clap2:.

Hi All, I was wondering if I could have baked sweet potatoes without the skin if I am allowed mashed potatoes on the puree/soft stage???? Thanks for any advise.

I was banded Nov.30,2007 and tomorrow will be my 10 days to start on puree/soft food.< /p>

I can't believe all of these recipies with potatoes! My Dr. says NO starches. Potatoes would fall into that category. To all of the people that have recipies on here with potates and Beans, did your doctor ok starches? I wish mine did...

I can't believe all of these recipies with potatoes! My Dr. says NO starches. Potatoes would fall into that category. To all of the people that have recipies on here with potates and Beans, did your doctor ok starches? I wish mine did...

That would be a yes! with a BUT attached. more ok with this stage because of the limitations of the mushy stage, but always to have it after your protien . protien first, then veggies/ fruit, and if and only if there is room , then a limited amount of starches if you band will let you eat it. Some of us have issues with certain starches.

NancyL, sweet potato? I did , just make it soft and wet enough to go down smoothly....

I was just having this for dinner tonight and thought it would make an amazing mushy meal:

Cauliflower cheese Soup

1 med potato, peeled and diced

1 lg cauliflower cut into florettes

1 med carrot peeled and chopped

3 cloves of garlic, pressed or peeled

1 ½ c chopped onion

1 ½ t salt

4 c Water

Boil till tender. Puree most of veggies (save a few out for texture or not if you're in mushy stage).

Then add:

2 c grated cheddar

3/4 c milk

1 t dill

black pepper to taste

Stir cheese and milk in until cheese melts. Don’t boil. Garnish with cheese.

Here is a site with recipes for pureed food ideas.

Recipes for pureed Foods - Entrees, Vegetables, and Salads

I was really excited when I saw this link. I am not banded yet but gathering all the info I can for each stage. I printed out most of it, and emailed the dietician in my program. She told me these were for cancer patients, who usually need lots of calories, and many of them are high in calories, so I am not sure, even though pureed, they would be right for bandsters' mushy stage. Some did make my mouth Water, though.:confused:

If you like enchilada's you might like this.

Here are the ingrediants (please note that the only other time I have cooked with tofu it found a nice place in the garbage can):

1 pkg silken tofu

Olive oil

minced garlic

chili powder

small can of Tomato paste

chicken flavor boullion

salt

Water

more chili powder

garlic powder

• I started out with a small frying pan on medium heat, put in olive oil and minced garlic (the kind from the jar).
  • After the garlic had a chance to flavor the the oil I added the tofu which I had cubed.
  • After cooking a bit the tofu will start to fall apart so I broke it into smaller pieces with the spatula.
  • Sprinkled tofu with chili powder.
  • Stirred well.

While the tofu was cooking:

• I put the can of tomato paste into the blender (magic bullet).
  • Added 1/2 - 1 can of Water.< br />
  • Started out with chicken bullion.
  • Gave it a spin so these ingrediants were mixed.
  • Added the tofu mixture.
  • Gave it another spin until everything was well mixed and smooth.
  • You will add water to create a smooth, but thick mixture.
  • At this point you will sample and add spice to your own taste (chili powder, boullion, salt, garlic or garlic powder).
  • Mix well after adding spices.

I put this mixture in a small baking dish and mixed in some shredded cheese, covered with tin foil and baked it all together at 350 for about 30-60 min. Next time I make this I will not add the cheese because it did not melt as I expected it to and it left the otherwise smooth mixture with lumps in it and as far as I'm concerned no extra flavor.

I got 3 meals out of this mixture.

I will say that I just started throwing this all together and was pretty shocked by how good it tasted when it was all done. If someone had served this to me I would never have guessed that tofu was one of the main ingrediants. I have tried and failed at using tofu in the past and thought I'd give it one more shot since I'm trying to get some Protein in.

If you try it I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.