Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Grossbard self pay

Make sure if you are planning to be banded in Mexico and go to Dr. G in Florida you clear that AHEAD of time with him. Many bandsters have done the same and he refused them as patients.

Sure is funny that if you really wanted Dr. G you could have the surgery in CanCun for $13000 and a swanky pad for a week yet he charges double for the states?

When I called Dr. Ortiz - Cancun is where I wanted it. I was going to make it a weeks vacation since it was close to our wedding anniversary - Cancun is closed due to massive damage from the hurricane ;)

I read a couple of posts about Dr. G refusing care to others - even seeing them then making them go somewhere else - but I didn't get a response when I asked about the specifics.

Seems weird to me that he would put his name on Dr. Ortiz' website and that he is partners with or whatever it is and then not do followup care if you are done in MX.

I had my surgery done in Mexico/Dr. Aceves $7,500 and Dr. Grossbard through (fillcenterusa) is doing my fills - $200 with fluro and $145 without.

They have a great office, a very kind staff. Most of all they know their stuff and can get you in and out quickly yet with wonderful service. Couldn't ask for anything better.

I had my surgery with Dr Rehnke at The Palms of Pasadena hospital in St. Petersburg. Dr. Grossbard assisted. I was self pay and paid around 17,000. I don't think you can go wrong with Dr. Grossbard, he is a really nice guy and he is one of us too!

Raek, I didnt know he did surgery there also. It's a wonder Dr. G has any time for anything - look at his schedule WOW wish I had part of that energy.

Thanks for that info - his price in St Pete is the same as near me. Did you stay in the hosptial only 6 hours also? Ive spoken to 1 who did 1 who didn't recently.

Yes, I imagine he is very busy. Between his surgeries, his patient after care, assisting Dr. R with his surgeries, and doing the seminars. I am sure there is more to add to that list as well.

I had to spend the night. I am sure it would be cheaper if I didn't. The biggest part of the cost went to the hospital.

On February 9th, Dr. Grossbard banded me AND my husband at Tampa General Hospital, with Dr. DiCicco assisting.

As medical professionals and patients, we have the utmost respect for both of these surgeons, their associates, and their office staff. I have heard of his "cocky" attitude, but frankly, who cares? If the man knows what he is doing while in your belly installing the band, or when he is sticking needles in your abdomen while doing fills, who cares? Personally, we have not experienced that attitude, nor would it have made any difference in our choice of surgeons.

During the past 3 months, my husband has had complications, none of which can be attributed to the surgeons or their techniques. During this time, Dr. Grossbard and Dr. DiCicco have seemed to be genuinely concerned, to the point of giving me both of their personal cell phone numbers to be able to speak to them at any time that I felt it warranted. This is unheard of to have such access to physicians.

I guess by now anyone reading this can understand how pleased we are with our surgeons, and how confident we feel in referring people to them. If anyone would like to email me personally about our experiences, feel free to do so at: rhonda@codebluefarm.com

Now, as far as insurance, both of our surgeries were covered under United Health Care. We had approval very quickly.

As far as the self pay amount, we do have the flyer that was given to us at a seminar for Palms of Pasadena Hospital. The total amount was: $16,950. This included the pre-op visits, 2 weeks of Optifast pre-op, surgeons, Anesthesiologist, and hospital stay (including 2 days post-op if needed), follow-up visits and fills for one year.

Rhonda Hall, RN

Robert Hall, EMT-P

Rhonda, you have UHC in Florida and they covered WLS?

I was told by the Ins Commissioner's office themselves that any FL policies specifically exclude ANY WLS.

If you have a UHC plan in Florida, what plan do you have? I called them and they told me that they do not have any plans that include WLS due to the above reason.

I would love to find a plan that covers the surgery under a traditional insurance plan instead of an MSA. Right now, we are paying BCBSFL and our MSA just so I can have WLS covered.

It is so weird that a patient having the surgery at PRMC only had to stay for 6 hours, but your post is like mine that says includes 2 days post-op if needed.

I wont even get started on the pricing again - yours is totally different than mine and others <pulls hair out more>

How can they charge so many different amounts and have different stays just for different counties/hospitals?

I posted in another thread - under the FL section and more people replied - Dr. Grossbard is an extremely busy man! wow I had no clue he did surgery at TGH, as well as all the other places that people have had it done.

Let me preface this by saying that I know nothing about insurances. We have UHC thru TGH. My husband is an employee there. TGH is self insured, but UHC is the administrator for that policy. It may be something that TGH included in their policy.

We had a very short stay post-op. I was at home in Polk county by 2:30pm. We did very well, and the outpatient recovery nurses were wonderful. In no way did we feel pressured or pushed out too soon. I think the overnight stay depends on your underlying health and comorbidities. We have no comorbidities, and are very active people.

Rhonda

Sorry to bump this old post :tongue2:

Dr. G banded me on Nov 20. Back in May, he also did my gall bladder surgery. (I had GB problems already when I started seeing him for WLS, so it was just a decision to get the GB out first.)

His demeanor - uh yeah "cocky" maybe, but personally I LIKE this in the guy cutting me open. He is extremely busy; on the Friday of my surgery, he was there from 6a to 10p.... and I think it is like that A LOT with him. Anyway, I would call his attitude like a PP mentioned "doesn't beat around the bush." He simply does not have time to mince words.

My mom used Dr. Krish (as he is called, his partner) and he is a very sweet man.

The staff is awesome, no complaints there either... I have had to wait at the office though, significantly past my appt. time. I just bring something to read.

My surgery was done at Pasco Regional, and while my mom had a great experience there, I did not. Regardless I am 10 days post op and happy.

Oh, I saw the claim from my insurance company, and they were billed about 25k. I do believe that a self-pay person would pay less than that but not completely sure. Also, when asking about price, don't forget to ask about the cost of the anesthesia, since that can sometimes be billed separately... so the hospital might say the surgery is 17k, but the anesthesia could be quite a bit more.

As far as insurance is concerned, the company you work for tells your insurance company what to offer the group. My husband has a great policy under United Health Care, and I was approved for surgery on three separate occasions, each within a week (1st approval, I canceled surgery to get gall bladder surgery, 2nd approval, I postponed the surgery; 3rd approval was the final one.) I know other people who carry UHC and have no WLS coverage... again, it is just what the employer dictates (as to what they will pay... my husband's employer gets employee contributions for the health insurance, and we pay about 400/month for the family for our coverage... another employer might aim at keeping costs low and employee contributions to a minimum; and therefore might not offer coverage for WLS!)

More importantly, a guy who charges those fees, doesn't by definition, do may of these! Stick with the guys who do ten a day!

I had a band just done by them- absolutely wonderful. Don't really care about bedside manner. I don't have to marry the surgeon, just trust in his ability. They are doing bands for $9k right now and I got free fills too. I guess he is the first one around to do the Lap-Bands and band over bypass. Very satisfied,,

I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Grossbard on 03/24 and I'm so excited. He certainly was a quick talker during my consult but he really knew his stuff. I feel comfortable with him and love his staff. I loved seeing all the nurse's Lap-Band before and after photos throughout the office too. I am doing the self pay option after 2 years of failed attempts with getting my insurance approved. I am doing the $8999 special but fills are not included. I start my liquid diet of Water and Chike shakes on 03/09!

Anyone ever self pay for Dr. Grossbard in Zephyrhills/Dade City Florida?

Im just wondering because I have still been researching in the event something happens again with my surgery (May 26 now)

I was told $24,500 which after researching other drs here in FL is really overpriced it seems.

Dr. Jawad is $14,000 and there are a few others around $17,000 but I have not another dr for over $20k so I am a bit shocked at this price.

Anyone have great success with any Dr in FL ? If yes, did you self pay and how much?

Thanks in advance

Dr. Aguila in Tampa. $10,000 self pay.