Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Autoimmune Disorders and the Lapband NOT Compatable

Per Allergan's website for medical professionals. http://www.lapband.com/hcp/en/risk_information/

Before encouraging someone with an autoimmune disorder to get Lapband, please read the contraindications at the link above. There are many unscrupulous band mills out there that will ignore the contraindications, take the money and leave the pt with a lifetime of issues to deal with.

Here's a link to a list of autoimmune diseases: http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/autoimmune-diseases.cfm

Again, that's not true. It doesn't say ALL autoimmune diseases, it says connective tissue diseases.

Directly from your link:

"You or someone in your family has an autoimmune connective tissue disease. That might be a disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma"

Not all autoimmune diseases are connective tissue diseases, in fact the majority of them are not. Their warning does not cover all autoimmune diseases.

And this.... You have an inflammatory disease or condition of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, severe esophagitis, or Crohns disease.

Many GI inflammatory diseases are autoimmune disorders.

There is also this disclaimer: There have been no reports of autoimmune disease with the use of the LAP-BAND® System. Autoimmune diseases and connective tissue disorders, though, have been reported after long-term implantation of other silicone devices. These problems can include systemic lupus erythematosus and scleroderma. At this time, there is no conclusive clinical evidence that supports a relationship between connective-tissue disorders and silicone implants. Long-term studies to further evaluate this possibility are still being done. You should know, though, that if autoimmune symptoms develop after the band is in place, you may need treatment. The band may also need to be removed. Talk with your surgeon about this possibility. (Also, if you have symptoms of autoimmune disease now, the LAP-BAND® System may not be right for you.)

The last sentence, my parenthesis.

Why take a chance?

And this.... You have an inflammatory disease or condition of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, severe esophagitis, or Crohns disease.

Most GI inflammatory diseases are autoimmune disorders.

Nowhere does it say all inflammatory autoimmune diseases. It lists Crohns's disease and other digestive diseases, not all inflammatory autoimmune diseases. In fact, it doesn't list any that aren't directly gastrointestinal.

The bottom line is, saying that the band isn't recommended for all autoimmune diseases simply is not true. There are thousands of autoimmune diseases out there and only a very small handful of them fall under Allergan's contradiction.

i tried to read the link and i saw alot of big words so i stopped reading.

i am not a doctor.

so i thought to myself...if i had a disease (autoimmune or whatever)

i would refer to my doctor for their opinion as i figured they would advise me on if a wls is for me.

i think all people and all doctors opinions will vary per case...just because one study says something,

does not mean it is always true.

My concern in posting this is that we shouldn't encourage someone to get a device implanted just because we've had a good experience. Many people with ONE Autoimmune disorder often have other undiagnosed autoimmune issues that are found after a device such as the band, is implanted. My post isn't meant to be an alarm, but a word of caution when replying to a thread about which surgery to choose.

On the other site I frequent there are multiple boards for each surgery, including revision. Literally hundreds of posts are made by people monthly who are having band troubles and needing to revise. About 75% revise to sleeve and are very pleased with the outcome. Shouldn't these 75% have just had the sleeve to start with and avoided the risk, pain, scar tissue, aftercare and expense of a second surgery?

My concern in posting this is that we shouldn't encourage someone to get a device implanted just because we've had a good experience. Many people with ONE Autoimmune disorder often have other undiagnosed autoimmune issues that are found after a device such as the band, is implanted. My post isn't meant to be an alarm, but a word of caution when replying to a thread about which surgery to choose.

On the other site I frequent there are multiple boards for each surgery, including revision. Literally hundreds of posts are made by people monthly who are having band troubles and needing to revise. About 75% revise to sleeve and are very pleased with the outcome. Shouldn't these 75% have just had the sleeve to start with and avoided the risk, pain, scar tissue, aftercare and expense of a second surgery?

You're getting derailed from the topic.

You made a thread that stated all autoimmune diseases were a contradiction for getting the Lap Band. That is 100% false information. Only connective tissue autoimmune diseases and a few specifically listed gastrointestinal autoimmune diseases are contradictions to the Lap Band. For all the other thousands of autoimmune diseases out there the band is perfectly safe with no contradictions.

And while I mean no offense, I take zero merit in anecdotal evidence gathered off the internet, especially when it comes to WLS. The people who howl the loudest are always those that have problems- and the majority of those are self induced. People have been trying to blame autoimmune diseases on everything from dental work, to medical implants, to sweeteners for years. The bottom line is, none of this is true no matter how much ill informed people desperate for answers to why they are sick want to believe otherwise.

I am not a Dr., I don't know, but I don't believe you are either.

When I chose the band over the sleeve, I looked at the studies that showed the complications across all the patients, not just those that posted a good or bad result an an Internet forum. The band had 1/10th the complications as more radical surgery like GB or the sleeve. It also had a lower/slower rate of weight loss across those same patients. I did the research, I weighed the risks/benefits and I chose the band. Then I looked at the success/failure of my particular surgeon and I stayed with him.

Making a decision on the band based on my good experiences, or your bad experiences is flat out stupid. Making a decision on the band based on a sales seminar put on by a surgeon is almost as stupid.

I am not responsible for other people's stupid decisions, only my own. BUT, everyone that asks me my personal experiences, and my reasons, I will tell them how well the band is working for me.

One day, the band may fail me, and I may have to choose an alternative like some others have. But, I can't live my life based on what "Might Be", only on what is.

" Literally hundreds of posts are made by people monthly who are having band troubles and needing to revise"

Literally hundreds of post made by a handful of people. You're playing fast and loose with the stats Maui.

"Shouldn't these 75% have just had the sleeve to start with and avoided the risk, pain, scar tissue, aftercare and expense of a second surgery?"

Of course they should have went with the sleeve but that would require some knowledge of forecasting the future and for most of us, that is not possible. And 75% of a handful of people doesn't even equate to literally thousands of people who went with the band and did not have a revision.

You say 75% revise to the sleeve and are very pleased? What about the other 25%??? By your own admission there are 25% dissatisfied WLS patients who have no other options now that they have a sleeve? nearly 100% of band patients still have options. I.E. revisions to other WLS techniques or nothing at all. This is why so many choose the band.

tmf

The other 25% revised to RNY or DS.

25% of bands need to be removed per Allergan, those aren't great odds.

My point again, is that we shouldn't endorse the band 100% to a person who clearly states they have an autoimmune disease or disorder.

My thread should have been less absolute in the title, but the basic message is valid.

"25% of bands need to be removed per Allergan"

Since you have a history of relying on anecdotal stats I'd like to see where this quote comes from? Please don't use the silly study from bands placed nearly 20 years ago? Dr. O'Brien's own study refutes your claim:

"less than 7 percent of study participants who underwent surgery in 2006 or later needed a revision"

http://www.lifeshape.net/blog/2013/02/study-demonstrates-the-long-term-benefit-of-laparoscopic-adjustable-gastric-banding/

http://journals.lww.com/annalsofsurgery/Abstract/2008/07000/Comparing_Outcomes_of_Laparoscopic_Versus_Open.3.aspx

What happens to the msmaui who posts valuable advice 95% of the time? This msmaui seems to lose touch with reality when she goes on her vendetta against the band? This msmaui relies on false assertions, negataive anecdotal information and unreliable studies to further her anti band agenda? What happens to the supportive and rational msmaui?

tmf

The other 25% revised to RNY or DS.

25% of bands need to be removed per Allergan' date=' those aren't great odds.

My point again, is that we shouldn't endorse the band 100% to a person who clearly states they have an autoimmune disease or disorder.

My thread should have been less absolute in the title, but the basic message is valid.[/quote']

Again, for most autoimmune diseases there is no reason not to recommend the band. In fact for some the band can actually help make the symptoms of their diseases more manageable by decreased body weight.

This is a very BOLD statement and thread to make when you are not a trained doctor. It is very easy for us to misinterpet information to fit our ideas of what it means.

Fact: Doctors do suggest lapband on patients with autoimmune disoorder

I have psoriasis for years and got psoriatic arthritis at the young age of 22 i am now 24 psoriasis is considered a chronic autoimmune disease i chose the band because it was less drastric then the sleeve or bypass i consulted with all my doctors and my surgeon absolutely insisted on the band 1. Because i was a smaller patient and 2. Due to my condition and the healing process and meds. According to my dermatologist there is no link to WLS as being a bad idea and worsening my conditions, studies are only going by what may have happened to 1 person. In fact my dr encouraged WLS if i am successful i can ease off my meds! I do not doubt my decision nor would i have gone forward if my dr's didnt think it was a good idea. So with that being said anyone wanting the band should always consult with their DR before not some random joe smoe or an article!

Omg, why can't we all just get along? Why cant we all just rely on what OUR health professionals tell us about OUR own personal health issues. these forums seem to be more about "listen to me, I know everything" than offering advise and help to those that ask for it. Honestly I'm getting so sick of people writing in looking for acceptance or a pat on the back for screwing up after they've knowingly gone against what their dr has advised them to do time after time after time. Follow the rules, eat your Protein first, go for a walk, keep in contact with your surgeon/ dr's office, it's not rocket science. Why did you get banded? Why are you not doing what you're supposed to be doing in order to be successful? Why are some people offering medical advise instead of telling that person to contact their dr? From the posts I've been reading lately there are a lot of people looking for validation. And when I read someone say there are no stupid questions, I have to disagree, I've read plenty of stupid questions, Where is your common sense. I've gotten off topic a bit, but bottom line is there are questions on here that should totally be directed to your own dr, you're only going to be more confused by reading so many different answers, especially when it concerns your own health.