Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sipping, drinking, gulping

Is there a rule of how much you should drink, should i strictly be sipping sometimes i find myself taking big gulps just not realizing i am doing it maybe im over thinking it?

I dont have any issues drinking. Do what works for you. There is no right or wrong way to drink. If you can drink fast then do it.

Hey, I had been told by several nutrishionist that we should taken in half our weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 pounds then you need to drink 100 ounces. I find some days I can do that but every 3 or 4 days I barely get any in. I think it is my bodies way of saying it has had enough Water for awhile.

The sipping, drinking, gulping part is what your band will tell you it can hold. I guarantee the first time you gulp and your band doesn't want it, it will tell you. And once you suffer through that, you won't do it again. I'm guessing it is a choice as to what you feel like doing at the time.

I hope that helps you out. Good luck finding what is best for you.

Thanks! I have no issues drinking, just wasnt sure if taking big drinks is frowned upon. Sometimes im just really thirsty! Lol being newly banded only a little over 2 weeks post op scared of slipping stretching of the pouch etc

When I was in the green zone, I could not gulp, I could only sip. That told me that I had proper restriction... and I long to get back to that green zone!

I am 3 weeks post op and was told 1 oz every 5 minutes. I'm able to drink more and I'm scared I will stretch my pouch... Don't know if that's possible

I talk to my doctor about this last Thursday when I got a fill and he specifically told me not to drink more than a quarter cup of Water every 30 minutes or my patch will stretch. That is scary because everytime I workout I am drinking so much water. At times I feel dehydrated because I am a big water drinker and I can't seem to get enough.

Water goes right through. The band does not restrict water! I drink 3 liters a day or 100 ozs.

I am the same as Toddy. I am in the green zone an I can not gulp. I can actually hear an feel when it passes little by little. It is not comfortable. .

Think of it this way... Try pouring a full 2liter bottle of soda through a funnel. It takes its time an lets air bubbles out as its going down.

I sip sip sip all day.

I have never had that problem! Of course you don't want to chug down a bottle of Water because then you will have the "funnel effect!"

I have a hard time making sure to drink enough during the day... I used to be a gulper but now that I have the band I'm told not to gulp. When I sip, I forget to keep sipping throughout the day. I know its important to drink enough but I just don't remember to drink! Anyone have any tips on making sure I drink enough??

It's hard to remember to drink but for me when I don't drink I start wanting it because my nought gets dry. However, I bring two 25oz Water bottles to work and make sure I drink one before my lunch and the second by the time I get home that way I am 50oz down before 4:00 everyday! Sometimes I have some left And finish it during my workout and I try to get at least another 15oz in by the time I go to bed.

I think I'm more consumed with making sure I'm drinking enough than eating!!