Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I get the Band again?

Penni,

Only you can make the ultimate decision whether to get re-banded or whether to seek alternatives. Clearly, from reading your posts you have a "love/hate" relationship with food and feel you need some interventions.

Personally, if I had complications with my band and needed it removed I would seriously consider another procedure because I feel I've come too far to gain it back. My thoughts tend to gravitate towards DS if I could not successfully be re-banded, although I have not fully investigated this procedure. I have been in contact with other bandsters who, after band-removal have had success with this procedure. I would not do RNY, that's just me. I personally have seen too many complications, too many failures due to poor dietary choices.

Good Luck to you in your decision and with your insurance,

Thank you to all who listened and offered support.

I thank PinkMary for the analysis although I disagree with it. I do appreciate your insight.

I did not start this thread looking for anyone to answer the question for me. I started this thread looking for the support and lifting up I knew would be here. And you guys came through like gang busters.

This journey we are all on is long and hard. It has ups and downs. I seem to be in the up as far as gaining weight but down as far as emotions. I know some of this is my depression rearing it's ugly head. I am away from home and my routine so that is playing a factor in this dilemma.

There are some things I know I could be doing better. I just have to work on those things.

I do have the HOODIA and it does work great. I have the ZETACAPS and they work great. The thing is, I am a grazer. Neither of those pills would stop me from grazing and here is why they won't work for me.

The Hoodia works to control appetite. I don't give my stomach time to get hungry cause there is food in it almost constantly. Therefore the Hoodia doesn't work as well on me.

The Zetacap you take 30 min before meals. When I do take it 30 min before it does work. It works great. The only problem is I never know when I am gonna eat. The problem is I eat ALL the time. Little nibbles here big nibbles there. So this product doesn't work that well for grazers either.

HUGE dilemma for us grazers. Theories tell you that eating 6 small meals a day will speed up your metabolism and therefore burn off fat faster. Well I am one to tell you that is full of bullshit. Well it might work if you eat sensibly with each meal. Not me Not a grazer. LOL!!

It is just hard right now until something clicks with me. I am experimenting and trying new ideas. I know the old ones work Diet, Exercise, Exercise and Diet. Hate that one!! Sounds so simple huh? They why are we FAT????

Anyway, thanks for reading and offering your support.

I think the Hoodia is working wonders for LaMadam by the way. She is my hero. Love ya Michelle.

Awww Penni!! (( Hugs!!! ))

Hang in there & do one thing for yourself today! Pat yourself on the back as you do it... get a massage or a manicure or choose an orange instead of a hamburger or something! Hug yourself & say to your image in the mirror that you love yourself! You know you're loved by us... be good to you & hurry home! :Banane56:

Penni, there was a period of about 36 hours while I was being tested in the hospital for a slipped band where I had to comtemplate my path... I didn't know if they would be able to place a new band, so I had to make a choice:

1. tell them to go ahead and give me a bypass

2. tell them to take out the band and leave me flying solo (I was REALLY tempted to just say screw it)

3. tell them to put in a new band if possible

I thought really hard about my options and knew that I wanted another band. I know you lost your band due to erosion, which is (imo) much scarier than slippage. But, if the doctor is fully supportive of rebanding you, my honest opinion is to go for it.

In the meantime, if you're a bad grazer, I think your only option is to de-crapify your kitchen. If your only snacking options are fruits and vegetables, you're not going to gain. And (brace yourself - this is some really creative advice!) start exercising. It will help the depression. We are all pulling for you! You're going to do this with or without a band. (((HUGS)))

There's no way I'd get another band but I saw 250 on the scale this morning, which is 11 pounds heavier than my lowest (though I'm on my period.)

Penni, I don't think it's the traveling because not everyone around here travels, and we're all eaters. I blame it on staying home, but that's not the problem. I think I'd do better by traveling - grass is always greener.

I started a tiny dosage of Celexa today because my doc thinks I'll end up in the Rubber Room with my mother if I don't find a way to cope with my eating. My reflux and esophogitis is really bad because I pack way past being full, so my doc looks at me like I'm crazy and said, "But doesn't that cause great pain?" I started crying and said, "DUH, YES." So he gave me pain pills. Please pass the revolver.

HUGE dilemma for us grazers. Theories tell you that eating 6 small meals a day will speed up your metabolism and therefore burn off fat faster. Well I am one to tell you that is full of bullshit. Well it might work if you eat sensibly with each meal. Not me Not a grazer. LOL!!

Amen to that... I've done experiments on myself and know I do better and lose more weight when I don't graze.... which is so hard to do but I agree with you that the theory is bullshit...

The "experts" in the weightloss field say to eat 6 small meals must work for the food companies because all that does is make me want more food and think about food all day....

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Penni, I know you have probably heard this before but I too like to gaze but not as often as I use to. I buy baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green peppers, and cucumbers and cut them all up in bite size and keep them in a gallon size baggie and I have fat free ranch dressing for did and graze away. I even take them in a little cooler when we travel. Alot of times i even eat them just plain. Also popcorn is great, cause you can eat alot of it with not alot of calories.

I know you will get this figured out. keep yourself busy.

Penni, I know you have probably heard this before but I too like to gaze but not as often as I use to. I buy baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green peppers, and cucumbers and cut them all up in bite size and keep them in a gallon size baggie and I have fat free ranch dressing for did and graze away. I even take them in a little cooler when we travel. Alot of times i even eat them just plain. Also popcorn is great, cause you can eat alot of it with not alot of calories.

I know you will get this figured out. keep yourself busy.

I do that when I am home. Alas I ain't home. So I just don't keep anything bad in the hotel room. Other than Water and peppermints. Then I go crazy thinking I have lost something or forgot to do something then I remember what it is. I FORGOT TO EAT!! LOL!!

Keeping myself busy when I get home will be NO problem. I have not one not two but THREE businesses to get off the ground when I get home.

I have the Jewelry see my link in my sig

I have the Classes I am taking for Holistic Nutrition

I have a new biz thanks to Lisa (DeLarla). I am a new distributor for Slumber Parties. So I have plenty to keep me busy, when I get home.

Cashley: that is all I do think about food all day long. I am addicted to it. So all day long I think about my next graze or meal. SIGH!!!

Nothing to add, but a reminder that you're not alone. Up 8 pounds since band removed 3/13. At 3 pounds, swore it wouldn't be more. At 6 pounds over my weight from band removal day, swore that was my new high and I wouldn't go past THAT.

I live off the six-meal mentality too -- think about what you can eat next the second you finish what's in your mouth. SUX. I have been cutting up fruit and eating it (along with everything else in the house.) I started Weight Watchers Monday and every single day I'm in the hole on those #$%%^^^ points. I think doing something where I'm constantly monitoring my food and putting it in a journal makes me more focused on food!!!!!! Anyway... if possible, I keep my drug of choice -- sugar products -- out of the house. That usually lasts about 24 hours. God love us!

Elizabeth

8-28-03

slip repaired 3-10-05

band removed 3-13-06 (-60 lbs)

now -52 :(

Penni~ I just want you to know that I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time....and I hope that what ever decision you choose will help you continue to get healthier. I'm here to listen and just wishing you every happiness that life can bring you....with lots of success in all you do!!! ((((HUGS)))

I to want to wish you good luck in your decision, whatever it is DO IT. Sounds to me like you have lots of support here and I know that is what it takes to succeed. Take the step in faith and DO IT

I am considering and investigating the lapband. Now I am feeling afraid because I am hearing that people are gaining weight once it is removed. That would be my worst nightmare. Do you automatically gain, do you feel more hungry because it is removed? Has anyone had their's removed and maintained their new weight? Can someone please get back to me?

Pam

Hey Pam, I'll try to answer your question: I'm pretty sure LaMadam had hers removed & has maintained / continued to lose. GeezerSue had hers removed & was revised to a DS (Duodenal Switch -- sp). A few others were revised to other WLS, I think... and we have a clump that lost their bands from Nov to now & are in the healing stages.

It's not a given that you'll lose your band... or that if you do lose it it'll be in 1 week, or 18 months, or 2 years. It happens to some... it doesn't happen to others, no rhyme or reason. Not following the rules may lead to issues... but following the rules doesn't guarantee you won't have issues. It's not fair, but it is life with the band.

It's a personal choice to take a chance on the band: 2-3% do have issues and it could be you. And if you're the one with the issues you then have to decide what other options you have... healing & getting rebanded or trying another WLS or going back to the "old" style of weight loss or just living with it.

I'm personally really new to my band (10 weeks) & am really glad to have it. I'm going to use it each & every day I'm blessed with it & pray that I keep it a long, long time. If I lose it, I'll follow in Penni's footsteps & fight the good fight!

We'll support you no matter what decision you make, Pam! Ask tons of questions & don't decide until you're sure you know the options / risks of every option available.

Hope this helped...

Well Janet, Thank you for that. I don't even know what the other options are other than gastric bypass, and I thought that was extreme. I believe I am going to go with this. I have only talked to Dr. Rodriguez's ofc and they sound knowledgeable and friendly. That is probably what I am going to do. Have a few health issues to deal with but if I get a green light I believe I'll soon be a "bandster".

Thanks again