Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who here has been banded for at least 2 years and has had NO complications?

Lots of interesting things here, I was banded in Nov of 05! I am happy to report that had I lost 130 lbs and was at goal weight for 2 years, That was then Nov 08. In Feb 09 I developed stage 2 Her 2 nu+ breast cancer. I had severe complications. I truly believe that had I not been physically on top of things, I don't think I would have survived. So, before my cancer surgery, I went to get a complete unfill as I expected to be vomiting a lot from the chemo. I was bed ridden for 30 months. Yes. I lost a lot of muscle, I did gain weight. I was absent from this forum because of the extreme meds I was on. I experienced and am still recovering from cognitive impairment, I am alive. I have circadian sleep disturbances from not having a day nite life for a while. I am in physical therapy in a warm Water pool to build muscle. I have begun to loose weight but It is a mental and physical battle I have a very minor fill. I don't think my band Dr. could really believe my journey and he was not sure I should have a fill, so it is just 1cc.. I am taking things slowly, give myself grace as i feel like at my age, I am not sure muscle will ever return again. My body is disfigured terribly, I just want to be healthy, not beautiful, (necessarily lol) My hair is back, My skin is over sized but I will not be able to have reconstructive surgery. I want to regain my focus. I checked into the forum because Alex sent an e-mail inviting me back as I have not posted for such a long time. I do not know if it was auto generated, but it doesn't matter, IT WORKED! My band has been my friend. It taught me to listen to my body. I still have it and we are still friends. :) It is a tool. We need to take care if it and it will take care of us. Please know I am not superwoman, but I am blessed. It is my faith in God that kept my hope alive to press through to now and I will continue to press on and fight the good fight. I believe there is more for me to be here on this earth for, so I will need to be stronger to be able to do it! Ok nuff said, its true if things go well, folks usually drift away, but also if things go terribly south, folks are away too! Good night!

I have been banded since June 2008 and I have had no complications at all! I do follow band rules (no bread, pasta,rice or carbonated beverages).. I was 305 then now I am 165 :)

I haven't posted in...I don't know how long! No real problems for me, and I haven't even needed a fill for about 18 months. The only complication I've had was pretty much self inflicted - I got too dehydrated, drank too little, exercised too much in really hot weather. If I'm not diligent about staying hydrated, my band seems to shrink right up, and in that case I got to the point of being unable to even keep Water down. That resulted in fluids and a slight unfill at the ER. I learned my lesson, and it hasn't happened again.

I did experience the stomach flu about six months ago - that was the first and only time my body has tried to actually vomit since being banded. It was MUCH different than upchucking due to being stuck, and was even more uncomfortable! Thankfully it didn't cause any problems with my band, so I'm still maintaining and very comfortable.

I am 4 1/2 years out, and am really happy. I don't know what the future holds for my band and I, but I am very grateful for the good health, normalcy, and experiences I would not have had without the surgery. It gave me a second chance, and I will enjoy and appreciate it for as long as it lasts.

Almost 3 years - no complications other than it did NOT cure my cookie obsession' date=' LOL. Those little buggers still go down easy as anything! :)[/quote']

6 years in September no band complication. Did have a complete unfill due to my carelessness and now workings my way back. It is amazing that Cookies can go down with no problem.

I'm almost 2-1/2 years out and haven't had any problems either. I come here to the site now mostly to help (if I can) through my experience and to help live my life "after."

Coming up on my two year banniversary and can honestly say I have had very few problems. I have only had one day when food got stuck in the band. While I can eat pretty much anything if I cut it into small pieces, I do avoid a few foods like scrambled eggs, sausage and bread. Funny how different foods affect us bandsters differently. Now, the hardest part about having a lap band has nothing to do with the band at all. Its making good nutritional choices and continued exercise. Afterall, the band is a tool, not a magic fix. I love my band and only wish I had gotten it years ago:)

5 1/2 years out. No problems. At goal for about 3 years or so.

I just past the 7th year mark and have had to issues at all.

I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I haven't posted in...I don't know how long! No real problems for me' date=' and I haven't even needed a fill for about 18 months. The only complication I've had was pretty much self inflicted - I got too dehydrated, drank too little, exercised too much in really hot weather. If I'm not diligent about staying hydrated, my band seems to shrink right up, and in that case I got to the point of being unable to even keep Water down. That resulted in fluids and a slight unfill at the ER. I learned my lesson, and it hasn't happened again.

I did experience the stomach flu about six months ago - that was the first and only time my body has tried to actually vomit since being banded. It was MUCH different than upchucking due to being stuck, and was even more uncomfortable! Thankfully it didn't cause any problems with my band, so I'm still maintaining and very comfortable.

I am 4 1/2 years out, and am really happy. I don't know what the future holds for my band and I, but I am very grateful for the good health, normalcy, and experiences I would not have had without the surgery. It gave me a second chance, and I will enjoy and appreciate it for as long as it lasts.[/quote']

I too found the flu more difficult with the band. Thankfully I'm usually very healthy. Especially now almost 7 years out. Hoping to stay away from flu this season. Good luck to you too

Hello! I've been banded for almost 4 1/2 years now with no complications.

That's not to say that my port doesn't rub me the wrong way now that there is not a whole lot of fat to cushion it anymore! I still have moments when I have to vomit. It's still a lot of hard work and struggles at times' date=' but I have had a smooth ride with my band.[/quote']

I totally agree. Hard work. Diligence. But it works. I was so tired of failing. Little weight off. Back on. Repeat. Gotta lose the food about once a week. Sometimes I just don't go slow enough. Or herbs stick also. Still very pleased

I have been banded for about 1.5 years with only brain complications not band complications. The band is definitely a behavior modifier and takes time to learn. The band itself works. Learning how to eat with a band is probably what most people consider a complication. I come back to the site for advice and to learn new things. If I could do it over again I would have made the same decision. I have a love/hate relationship with my band but without it I had a hate relationship with myself. I now have learned to love me for who I am and I can accept where I am. Had I done nothing I still would have felt so negative about myself. I am not where I wanted to be but far better than where I was.

Me. Going on 4 years. :-)

I have been banded since June 2008 and I have had no complications at all! I do follow band rules (no bread, pasta,rice or carbonated beverages).. I was 305 then now I am 165 :)

updated: my band eroded and had to be revised on May 21, 2014 to bypass.

Some of us old bandsters are still around. We hide at times bc we have been through a lot of questions and answers in my opinion...

???????? my band. This year will be 9 years. I'm am compliant. And I do have liquid days ( thanks B-52) that help ... But very occasionally

Happy and healthy. With a TT thrown in this year which helped me to lose my last 10 lbs I was aiming for... But willing to concede if needed.