Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Happy Bandsters Out There With 5 or More Years Of Banding?

In a few more days' date=' 6/2, I will have had my band for 5 years. Am I a happy veteran??? Not right now. I have gained back most of what I lost. Totally my fault, I just let it slide and those old habits came back. BUT....I have decided to start over. I will be in here a lot for support and will start using daily plate to keep track of what I eat. Part of my problem is that I had no real support. I live alone, and tend to be a loner. My kids are supportive and get on me if they see me eating something I shouldn't be. I don't have a support group in my area. In fact, I haven't been able to find any other bandsters anywhere near me (southeast Iowa).

Today is a new day. I am going to make this work.[/quote']

I wish you much success. Stay with the positive attitude. I would have your band checked out however.to make sure your port and band are in good working order. With your determination you can do this!

I just past my 7th year mark. I have had no issues at all.

Best thing I ever did. I can eat anything in moderation except rice and apples skins... and no carbonated beverages.

I started with a 54" waist... now 30".

I find maintenance very easy... I still get weighed in every month with my family doctor.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I've had my band for 9.5 years and next month will be revising to sleeve. I am so sad when people blame themselves for the band's faults. It isn't your fault that you gained weight back. The band does not work long term' date=' and unfortunately, those of us out this far know that there is nothing that most people could have done to change the way it works. Megan[/quote']. How do you like the sleeve?

In a few more days' date=' 6/2, I will have had my band for 5 years. Am I a happy veteran??? Not right now. I have gained back most of what I lost. Totally my fault, I just let it slide and those old habits came back. BUT....I have decided to start over. I will be in here a lot for support and will start using daily plate to keep track of what I eat. Part of my problem is that I had no real support. I live alone, and tend to be a loner. My kids are supportive and get on me if they see me eating something I shouldn't be. I don't have a support group in my area. In fact, I haven't been able to find any other bandsters anywhere near me (southeast Iowa). Today is a new day. I am going to make this work.[/quote']

You go girl! It is NEVER too late to begin anew. I grew up in middle of Iowa, a genuine Farmer's Daughter so I am in there with you in Spirit. Good Luck!

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

I am 4 years banded. I am down 102 lbs. I started at over 385, lost 20 before surgery and now weigh 283. My goal is somewhere below 240. My BMI now is only obese, not morbid obese. After surgery I went from 365 to 290 then back to 353. This year, I committed to following the rules and lost 70 lbs. My secret, eat real food. I usually start my day with Unjury Protein Shake with a banana in it and chocolate Silk soy milk. lunch is usually what my wife makes. Salads, meat and cheese, sometimes leftovers. We do Water Zumba at the gym. dinner is meat, vegetables, salad, sometimes potatoes or bread. All made from the outside aisles of the grocery store. Way off the carbs. Way off the sweets. When we eat out (we travel a lot) we ALWAYS split everything. Never order 2 Entrees. Little soda, never diet soda. Alcohol is allowed. This is how normal people live. I now feel normal. I spent the last 6 weeks in Hawaii, Atlanta and Florida and most days in swimsuits. This is how normal people live. Really, while I still want to loose 40 or so pounds, I feel normal. It has taken 56 years, but I am Happy!

Five year bandaversary last July. Starting weight: 330. Today's weight: 165, Lowest weight 153.

Very happy bandster here!

Congrats to you on your 5 year anniversary 2goodDogs, and congarts on your weightloss.

s

I am 4 years banded. I am down 102 lbs. I started at over 385, lost 20 before surgery and now weigh 283. My goal is somewhere below 240. My BMI now is only obese, not morbid obese. After surgery I went from 365 to 290 then back to 353. This year, I committed to following the rules and lost 70 lbs. My secret, eat real food. I usually start my day with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shake with a banana in it and chocolate Silk soy milk. lunch is usually what my wife makes. Salads, meat and cheese, sometimes leftovers. We do Water Zumba at the gym. dinner is meat, vegetables, salad, sometimes potatoes or bread. All made from the outside aisles of the grocery store. Way off the carbs. Way off the sweets. When we eat out (we travel a lot) we ALWAYS split everything. Never order 2 Entrees. Little soda, never diet soda. Alcohol is allowed. This is how normal people live. I now feel normal. I spent the last 6 weeks in Hawaii, Atlanta and Florida and most days in swimsuits. This is how normal people live. Really, while I still want to loose 40 or so pounds, I feel normal. It has taken 56 years, but I am Happy!

Hi, congrats on 4 years banded, I just had my 4 year bndiversary on 10/30. I, also, lost my 100 lbs. You have done great. I have gotten off track for a while, but am getting back on!

Mary,

I started a message to you and it vanished. Let's start a "Over 5 Year Banded Support Group" to help those of us who are trying again. Okay?
When I sit down with my coffee in the a.m. I'll add my 2 cents worth, as I am in "no more loss zone" and I'm 80 + years.

I drove miles to my Bariatric Center two weeks ago and they just smiled. When we get over a certain age we are supposed to just vanish I guess. Or they think, "Be happy you will soon be gone!" :unsure: :wub: Joanne

post-9603-0-23432200-1384030536_thumb.jpg

post-9603-0-54794700-1384030661_thumb.jpg

post-9603-0-51855400-1384030916_thumb.jpg

Hi, I am almost 12 years out with my band. I am still happy that I have it. I have no regrets. I have kept the weight off almost 10 years. The band is an awesome tool. Mona

10 1/2 years post and very thankful for my band. Not to say I haven't had my issues with some weight gain and difficulties but I attribute that to me learning about the reasons for being overweight, emotional eating and learning to life a healthier lifestyle. I am very blessed to say I have had no issues with my band such as reflux, etc. My band keeps me in check but a lot of the weight loss success has to do with me keeping up my end of things with exercise, making good food choices and not reverting to emotional eating.

I feel like I've come home. On February 10, I will have been banded 6 years. I have had no trouble with my band, but like others, I am not where I had hoped to be, due to emotional eating. I got back on the treadmill today, and that felt good. My band works, I haven't been. That's going to change, because I still believe it's the best thing I could have done for myself.

Hello to everyone, It has been such a long time since I have been on the boards. I had my surgery 2009 and have not yet made it to goal, still have this last 25 pounds to go. I was wondering if the band has to have any Fluid put back in after all this time or does it remain with the same amount of fluid with the weight loss. My doctor is going out of business and now I have to find another doctor in the Raleigh area. I will not complain about the band as the band has done what it suppose to do. I find myself not being able to eat a lot of things but I sometimes try anyway. The last couple of months I have had problems with the food not going down and getting sick. I just need some support because I know I can do this. The weight gain has only been 13 pounds in 3 yrs but I did not want that. I started out at 240 with my lowest weight being 173. My goal was 160 and I really want to get there but I am back at 183 currently. What would be some suggestions to help? In 2012 my niece was murdered and it has been a downward spiral for me. I have started to exercise everyday with a couple of co-workers but I just need some support right now. Feeling a little lost right now but need to find another doctor also. Any help would be appreciated.

This march 27, 2014 it will be 7 yrs that I have been banded. And Thank God I've had no problems, no issues! Just the once in a while stuck feeling if I don't focus when I'm eating and on my chewing. But I thank God I have no problems and have a wonderful doctor. The best decision I've made! Although I still wonder about the future and worry of the what if's, but happy on how far I've come and how wonderful I feel.

I lost about 50lbs with the band but once I lost that weight I was stuck on the same weight for about 4-5 yrs.

I started to get frustrated bcuz I was not loosing but happy that I was stable and not gaining.

My doctor recomended the plication, to help me get closer to my goal. He said my band was good and doing what it was supposed to and I had done so well with it. But due to my snail like metabolism I needed more help and that the weightloss would be very slow but I would get there. I thought about it and researched and decided to add the plication.

So a day before my bad anniversary, which was my 6th anniversary I had the plication done.

It has been very slooooooow on the weighloss, just like my doctor said. But it was a chance I had to take I guess. So since th plication I've only lost about 15 lbs. But I feel more amazing with the xtra help and my band. My confidence is way higher, my body feels different, a good diffrent lol

And it has helped me get to the gym everyday! Something I would not have done on my own! I actually enjoy going and when I don't go I miss it! :) ( yeah, never did I think I would say that lol). Although the scale is moving very slow, I see changes in my body, the way I feel and see my self. It's a great feeling! Would I do it again? Absolutely!!!

I pray to God all the time ( and so does my husband, he prays for me every night) that God can watch over me and keep me and my tools safe and that I countinue complication free and doing well with my tools.

Sorry it's so long, any other questions feel free to msg me :)

I am in no way a 5 yr veteran , lap band wise, but the q. Comment about hamburger gristle , etc. My only advice is to not be shy about trying new foods , just a bite or 2. I can eat most meats with no problem, but I tried moose hamburger this year for the 1st time with no probs. I already eat elk burger as my hubby hunts. Stop by a butcher shop and see what they'll charge you for a small amount. These meats are high in Protein and better for you. Good luck ,!!