Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Devana I have heard statistics like that as well before, but were assured it was due to complications of being weak from mal nutrition. Keep in mind, most studies involving weight loss surgery do not include many bandsters, and all the other weight loss surgeries cause mal nutrition as the catalyst for weight loss. When your body is mal nourished it can develop infections very easy, you can have severe heart issues, poor blood circulation, etc. Scary huh? I am so glad I am getting the band! LOL

A collegue said she had it done before she was at goal and by the time she got to goal she had another mini roll over her scar. She had to have another Tummy Tuck.< /p>

Funny,

The thread got me to thinking about whether low bmi bandsters will have to consider apron removal. So, I started researching and came across the website, thought it was applicable to the thread, and posted it.

However, I've been unable to locate the information that started my Quest. So, I posted in the Dr.C thread on LBT and asked him about low bmi bandsters and apron removal. From his reply, I'm left with the impression that when I get to goal and give my body time to adjust, that I may want to re-address apron removal at that time for aesthetic reasons. Knowing me though, I probably won't.

Randi - Its funny you would post that. I have a plastic surgeon friend that I have spoken with a lot about this. He felt it was fine for me personally to have the apron surgery before losing the weight. BUT!! (there is always a big butt around ehre isn't there? LOL) He said that the surgeries that I plan on having after I reach goal should only be had after a year of being at goal. For a couple of reasons.

1. Those who have WLS (but not the band mind you) often have malnutrition issues due to the way they digest their foods. Their complications just skyrocket in the percentage bracket because of this malnutrition and the body's inability to perform at peak levels. But he said that was not an issue with most bandsters because we do not deal with the same malnutrition issues.

2. The skin is in shock after losing massive amounts of weight quickly. After a year of dealing with the skin in its baggy state it begins to shrink some. Not all in most previously severely overweight patients, but it can result in up to a 50% shrinkage, plus be more elastic so that the final outcome is smoother and more appealing.

My original plan was to have the apron surgery, then have the band, get to goal, wait a year, then have the total body lift done. My plan now just starts from the band point, and deal with the apron during the weight loss. I would rather not had to deal with this, but I do believe in devine intervention and am happy to go with the flow. I will be waiting that year, though, to see if I can get the skin to respond to my new body and do some self correcting before going under the knife. Then I am being what my husband refers to as "Barbi-ized". LOL

Hey Duddies - sorry to hear the bad news. Since it's a matter of comfort (among other things) - have you tried using deodorant under your apron? I had some troubles last summer, kept getting a really uncomfortable rash where the skin rubbed, and someone from a weightloss board I was on suggested using deodorant. I figured... ok, anything has got to be better than this, and it did wonders! I just wiped it on, like putting lipstick on a big old smiley face. I don't have the same issues with my apron now that I've lost a chunk of weight, but I still do the deodorant daily - preventatively, and just for general hygiene (it sweats as much as anywhere else!) Granted - it's not surgery :) but it might help you stay comfortable during the muggy days ahead.

Wow what great information!!!:clap2:

I have a problem with the apron area, Im pretty much at goal and that is the most troublesome spot on my body and it' s not goin away, I also had twin girls 6 yrs ago , but what kind of prices did everyone pay just for that? My medical does not cover ANY of that and It will be self pay. I was thinking about goin back to mexico to get that done, anypone else go to mexico to have it removed ?

I too am wondering if the apron will vanish or get smaller with weight loss. If not, I will need that number in Mexico! I had two children back to back and that is what took a toll on my belly.

Genetics, multiple pregnancies, and eating too damn much got me here!!! I will need it, but Dr. said 6 months after reaching goal....so I see it in the distant future. Wishfully I am thinking, a year from now...

Kat

I have a problem with the apron as well, I have 15 lbs to reach goal, my apron is a mess. But, I have lots of sagging skin on my arms, legs-all over, my butt, and my neck. I'm going to need an all over body lift for cripes sake! Better start saving my pennies now.

Carol

I thought about having my "pooch" removed early too, but I trust my doctor and I'll be patient and wait until after I am banded and have reached my goal.

Another thing to consider...after the weightloss from being banded your skin can loosen up more...your insurance is more likely to pay after the fact of being banded. Unfortunately they may consider having an "apron" removed before WLS as "cosmetic"

Desi

I had this done 13 years ago when I had lost 80 lbs. It was not bad in terms of pain and recovery. It was just a general surgeon who did it because I had such back pains from the 8lbs. which he eventually removed. The scar is paler now and although I have gained back 70 of the 80 lbs. the only thing I noticed is that the stomach itself is not protruding, but around the sides of my hips, there is added pads of flesh that give me "little boobies" (as my husband calls them) on my hips. By the way - he loves them oddly enough, because they are shaped like breasts. :eek: He thinks he is the luckiest man on earth to have a four breasted woman. :) LOL. Now I am going for lap band surgery and the little boobies will probably shrink (I hope). The belly button had been repositioned and looks good - so my hope is that although I have aged 13 yrs. since last surgery, I don't think my stomach area will look bad. The thighs however and the real breasts (44DD) will probably look loose :cry . Oh well, positive thought on this is that I get to keep my clothes on and they will be smaller sized clothes eventually. Yehaaw!:nervous :clap2:

I am planning on having a Tummy Tuck when I get to my goal...I cant wait...I might get rid of my flabby arms as well.

:eek: becky

there are many places in Tijuana to get the sugury done. try dr.huacuz , he does tummy tucks and all that. you can go online and look up different docs. i go to dr. suarez for my botox, he also does plastic surgery.

Is there a difference between a Tummy Tuck and an apron removel?

My sister had a tummy tuck a few years ago - she has the apple shape like me - and it threw her in total menopause. I guess what happened is that our hormones are stored in our fat and when they took most of her fat it took most of her hormones. Crazy I know. Her tummy looks great, he repaired the torn muscles from an old c-section and its great but - theres always a butt - and thats whats getting bigger on her - her butt, arms, all those other fatty places that were 2nd in line to her tummy fat.

Anyway I was wondering if the apron removel is just a term to get the insurance companies to pay for tummy tucks?

Dr Soberanes in TJ,Mexico does excellent body work.I just had a revision from a Tummy Tuck gone bad I had 2 months ago with another Dr. Dr Soberanes was able to fix this Dr's mistakes and make my body beautiful.I am so happy now.His prices are awesome too.

For those of you who have had the apron removal, I'm curious, at what point did you start to notice extra skin? Were you at your goal wieght, near it, etc.? I only ask, because I've lost over 70lbs, have another 40-50 lbs to go, and have not noticed any skin problems, but I'm curious if it's not noticable until I loose more weight... I know the likelyhood of me ever having cosmetic surgery is slim to none, so I'm a bit worried about extra skin when I reach my goal weight.