Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who here has had their "apron" removed before you lost all of your weight? I am kicking around the idea of having this done when i go down to Mexico to have my lap band put in. My lapband doc works with a plastic surgeon closely and I could have it done the next day. It would make life so much easier to not have it there when working out and moving around! LOL

If anyone has please respond, or pm me directly. I have lots of questions. :)

I think you would be happier to have the apron removed after weight loss. If you have PS now, you may have to (or want to) have it again. I think I'd be patient and do it when you are close to your goal weight. I just read something - on another board - about losing down below goal weight so that the surgery would be really tight after coming back up to goal weight! I don't think that's the way to go either!

2 cents: wait for weight loss before spending the money.

I would vote to wait for the plastic surgery. Most surgeons advise getting as close to goal as possible before electing for plastic surgery.

oh of course. i am planning on having a total body lift afterwards. i am wondering who had their aprons removed before hand just to make things easier. i would do both. the apron removal, then the tt and total body lift after. i am not wanting to have the apron removal done before hand and nothing after. i would look funny. lol

Amy, the apron removal I think is called a panniculectomy. Maybe google it? It's not the same as a Tummy Tuck, and would get extra skin out of the way, making it much easier to move and get your exercise in after you are banded and losing. I don't know how much apron you have, but I don't think it's a bad idea or a waste of money...it's YOUR money, of course so it's easy for me to spend, huh? LOL When you are closer to goal, then do the body lift, tt, etc. It's NOT a bad idea, though! Let us know what you find out!

My apron is large due to up and down weight, and two kids very close together. it isn't just skin, but it is quite loose and annoying. my pcp says that if my insurance was nicer, it should be medically nec for me to have it removed. it is bad now. when i stand you can't see my hooha. :confused: and when i wear tight pants it makes it look like i have a butt in the front LOL thank god for longer shirts. Its not like it hangs down to my knees, but it is certainly a pain in the butt and really makes excersize kinda difficult. Like I could do sit ups well if it weren't there.

I agree that it is not the same as a TT. It is just skin removal, but usually not done to pretty things up. Most apron removal surgeries that are just for that leave a lot to be desired looks wise. but it would be a huge weight off (quite literally) to have it done and be able to move easier.

I am curious if anyone else has done this, either before, during or after weight loss. I want to know what the recovery time was like, what the scar is like, and so on and so forth. it is not as invasive as a tt since the muscles are not touched. just the skin and fat under it is removed.

Amy,

Just wondering if youve found anyone that has had this done?

Id like to hear their story!

I think Fee's had this done a few years before she was banded.

As long as you're happy to have to have more surgery post weight loss I think its a good idea if you can afford it. It will give you a terrific boost, a great start and make you more comfortable and feeling better about yourself right from the get go.

Its different to getting your boobs done, that really wouldnt be worth it prior to losing a lot of weight.

yep....youre right there Jachut

i had mine done before i lost weight and it still looks good:)

its prob still as flat as anyone elses is having lost all there weight

fee, do you have any probs with the "caved in" look some people get? And did insurance cover it for you? How much weight was lost? And did the doc take time to give you a belly button? (i wouldn't mind if I didn't have one because i'll be having surgery later, but it wouldn't be weird to not have one)

fee, do you have any probs with the "caved in" look some people get? And did insurance cover it for you? How much weight was lost? And did the doc take time to give you a belly button? (i wouldn't mind if I didn't have one because i'll be having surgery later, but it wouldn't be weird to not have one)

no i dont have any probs with the cave in look

my doc did mine under medicare.....which he only did for a cpl of his patients

i lost a total of 5kg of fat

yes i have a new belly button:)....but i dont like my belly button....i want my old one back...lol

i was in hosp for 3 nights......its well worth it:)

willing to show any pics? you can email them to me if you like. I am just really curious. I am also trying to figure out if I should have it done before or after the lapband. Dr. Sanchez won't do it at the same time. ;) I was really hoping to have it all at once, but that is ok.

I wanna see some pics too. Honestly.

This would be the only type of PS that I would most likely consider.

so i put in my request to have my insurance approve or deny me for my apron removal. I am just running the flag up and seeing which direction its gonna fly. if the insurance company will cover it then i can have it done before my lap band surgery date gets here and i will have an easier tummy to work with.

*sigh* why do our bodies need so much freakin work??