Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry and frustrated!!

havent had a fill yet. surgery was the 7th of this month..

So my surgeon has me on a "no" carb diet. which i'm horrible at but i've been serious about it lately.. what doesnt make sense to me is that small quantities high in Protein do not fill me up, (even large quantities of protein doesnt) but if i have a small bowl of Cereal or a piece of pizza (bad i know) it fills me up...so i feel like i am eating much higher calorie amounts on a no carb highhh protein diet than i was when i was being more lenient.. i had alot of protein yesterday and i was still hungry all day.. i'm just frustrated... will this change after i have a fill...? also what are your guys' strategies for being on a low carb/no carb diet?? cuz im floundering..

I was told by my nutritionist that you need Protein to function and keep muscle mass but carbs is what "fills you" (sends the message to the brain and satisfy you). This is why my diet will have some carbs in small amounts. But you have GOOD carbs and BAD carbs. You just need to prioritize the good ones...

I've noticed this with myself! I am able to eat (and keep down) carbs and starches, but meats and some veggies get stuck - BAD! Worst pain ever!

I've also noticed that when I'm having to throw up - all that is coming out is phlem (snot). It's almost like it is covering my stoma and making it harder to swallow the denser foods. I've started taking an alergy pill, musinex & sudifed - to try and rid my body of this irritation.

As far as still being hungry when eating Protein - I've started drinking Water with Crystal Light in it - and it is helping ALOT! I drink around 100 oz of Water or more a day. :)

You'll be in "bandster hell" until you get the fill that gives you enough restriction for the band to work it's magic. That may be 1 fill or 6. No one knows. Till then, like our esteemed forum member B-52 says,

"Until there's restriction...It's just another diet"

tmf

you are eating to much and the wrong things learn how the bsnd works snd WHEN it will work it takes fills that how it works its to early for you so will power and food choices are very important and why aren't you on liquids or mushy only?

What type of diet are you supposed to be on? My surgeon will have me on liquids for 4 weeks post-op and then on to mushies. pizza doesn't sound good for 3 weeks post-op.

he wanted me to "aggressively move to solids" yeah i thought i was supposed to be on mushy stuff for the second week atleast. i went straght from liquids the first week to solids. they didnt want me having any liquid calories after a week. including yogurt!! i've been fine no real pain or anything i dont think anything has gotten stuck. no puking or anything either.

my diet is meats cheeses nuts peanutbutter ect. not supposed to really eat fruits or veggies cuz of the carbs.. idk he doesnt give great detailed instructions and i'm a shy person especially when it comes to talking to drs. so i feel kinna lacking in instructions. i mean hes good hes been doing this for 11 or so years and has awards and several practices, i just feel like i'm the only one on here on this diet.

Bandster hell is a very real thing, trust me I know! I had my surgery 12/21/12 and I go for my first fill this Friday. I feel like I'm hungry all the time. I try to reach for Protein first: string cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, Protein shake. At lunch, I eat deli turkey and a veggie or fruit. Protein first! And lots of Water. At 3 weeks post op you should be able to eat soft cheeses or yogurts.

Personally, I count calories and protein, not carbs. I know if I eat enough protein first, I won't have room for any more carbs. I do eat carbs, but I count every calorie. It must work, because I'm down 25 lbs.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there, it does get better.

are u tracking everything that passes your lips? myfitnesspal many of us use and helps a great deal. Honey, this is your weight, life and money you need to tke a list of questions to ask so you get the most out of your diet and band...Think its missy who has the veido all about the band it would be helpful for your to see that I think...

he wanted me to "aggressively move to solids" yeah i thought i was supposed to be on mushy stuff for the second week atleast. i went straght from liquids the first week to solids. they didnt want me having any liquid calories after a week. including yogurt!! i've been fine no real pain or anything i dont think anything has gotten stuck. no puking or anything either.

my diet is meats cheeses nuts peanutbutter ect. not supposed to really eat fruits or veggies cuz of the carbs.. idk he doesnt give great detailed instructions and i'm a shy person especially when it comes to talking to drs. so i feel kinna lacking in instructions. i mean hes good hes been doing this for 11 or so years and has awards and several practices, i just feel like i'm the only one on here on this diet.

Have you met with a dietician?

Hi,

My dr is the same as yours. I was on mushy my first week and then to solids. He even told me if I could handle solids the first week..I was to do them. I will be coming up on my third fill on Feb 5th...as of now...cant tell I have had anything done, couldnt tell when I had a fill in the least. It is all will power as of yet and very hard but am doing it. You may have to battle this for quite some time yet so you will have to buckle down and just do what you are supposed to and eat the portion you are supposed to eat and be hungry the rest of the time....and yes you are not alone..it is in my book ANOTHER HARD DIET as of yet....so hoping with my 3rd fill that I feel something but if not will wait till the next and pray to god that works. It is not easy in the least but worth the changes to get any amt of weight off. Mine has been very slow so far but I can tell at least so that is a positive. I am down 35 lbs since Oct. 22 so not earth shattering like alot of those on here but it is something to be happy about...Keep trying and you will succeed ....Best wishes to you :)

Again, I seem to be on the other end of the spectrum. I'm low carbing it. Usually I don't have room for a veggie. I do 3 oz of Protein and that keeps me very satisfied and content for 4-5 hours. I was banded 12/21/12 and have no fill yet. I'm starting to think I'm one of the very lucky ones.

sounds like it. im pretty dang jealous not gunna lie.

sounds like it. im pretty dang jealous not gunna lie.

Sorry Amy! I don't mean to sound like I'm rubbing it in. But I think a huge part of it is that I mentally prepared myself beyond all recognition. If my mental will is there I'm like a steam roller...get outta my way because nothing is going to stop me. The other huge part is that high Protein and low carb eating keeps me full. Even when I did Atkins years ago the amount of food I ate gradually decreased. Right now that's how I'm working it. No bread, rice, crackers, potatoes, fruit, etc. whether its whole wheat or processed I'm just a not having any. If I have even a little bit of any of those its like opening Pandora's box...I'm starving and just wanting more. Hang in there and find what works for you. You can do this, I know you can!

no you werent rubbing it in! i'm always happy for people whose band is working great and theyre doing well. i just have to accept that its gunna be pretty damn rough till i get my fill.. and maybe even after that. but itll be worth it i know.