Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide what to do ...

Hi everyone!

I was banded a year and a half ago. I have only lost 40 pounds so far - but I still Celebrate with excitement :) I just got a fill a week ago, and I am so completely miserable. The doc put 2cc in because before he was only doing .2 or .5 and I would stay at the same weight month to month. I am quite honestly just sick of my band. I can't eat or drink anything in the morning (I've always been like this), and I really struggle with getting food down period. With this recent fill, I have been throwing up constantly - everyday. I can't even get Water down. I know this means its too tight. But, here's my dilemma: 6 months ago I begged my doctor to take the band out and do gastric bypass on me. Because up until 6 months ago, I had no success with my band. I actually gained 20 pounds in the first year of having it. He told me to give him 3 months with the band and if I was still unsatisfied, he would do gastric. I have lost 40 pounds, but unfortunately I am more than miserable. I am a dental hygienist and get very thirsty during the day. But when I'm on breaks and trying to guzzle water, I end up getting clogged and I have to throw it all back up (I've always been like this!!). I'm going to call the doctor on Monday to schedule to have Fluid taken out. I'm really wanting him to take a majority (if not all) of the fluid out. I want him to give me 1 month of trying to lose weight on my own - without any help from the band. I feel as though I have learned A LOT about healthy eating and exercise and I feel like I could be successful on my own. But the other part of me is scared that I could potentially gain a lot of weight back if I'm relying in myself to lose the weight. The good thing is, is that it would only be for a month. If I'm unsuccessful, we'll fill me back up. It is truly, truly not worth it to me to be my goal weight if I'm miserable. Who wants to constantly have trouble eating and drinking all day everyday? What a miserable life to have. Sorry for the long post, but I am so lost and torn as to what I should do. Any advice?? Thanks in advance <3

Everyone is different and just by reading the posts on this forum you can see all the differnt approaches people have with the band.....

Speaking for myself...my success has come due to the fact that the band FORCED me to change the way I eat, the type of foods I eat, and how much I can eat....

If I tried to fight what the band was rying to accomplish, I would have stuck episodes, (many) constantly spitting everything up, including Water, along with associated pain.and discomfort......

In other words, it made me miserable.....especially in those first 4-6 months, the 2nd phase......

I could have gone for a slight un-fill, which would have let me eat the way I wanted to....but I'm glad I did not...I'm glad I can say it was a lesson in BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION when it comes to food....and the thing I loved the most, I had to turn my back on and learn to live without....food now is not very interesting...along with the hunger and cravings ( thank you band)

It was killing me!

like b52, speaking for myself only

i let the band work also and i help it by eating healthy/filling foods in my allotted amounts, period.

its an every day for me and its my world now 24/7..but i also know even i dont have fills, i have to do my part. i dont think (one should) depend on a fill to lose weight..i am living proof it can be done without one..it doesnt make me any better, i just have to try harder.

not being being able to drink or eat because of it seemingly too tight, in my opinion is not living a happy life..being too tight to eat so one can lose weight hurts my heart to read...my dr told me people want that and i read it on this forum daily.

go back to the basics

protein/veggies/fruit in your allotted band amount

drink alot and the hardest thing, help the band by letting it work

am rooting for you

the band isn't for everyone. like everything else it takes work I would think that if you could have done this on your own you would have lost weight anyway. The band isn't preventing you from losing only you can do that and it cant mske you lose the weight only you can do that also. Maybe you should think about if you are ready and really want to loss right now. Its not always the right time emotionally to do something this big. No matter what system you choose it will take the same amount of work and change of eating habits...this is not easy and I am praying that you get some peace.

Good luck with doing it on your own. I know that won't work for me, that's why I'm banded.

Making your decision to have the band removed or unfilled seems to be based on wild fill fluctuations? Why not try a more conservative approach and have .25-.5 removed and see if that helps? Surely it will make a difference in drinking and that seems to be your biggest concern?

Hi everyone!

I was banded a year and a half ago. I have only lost 40 pounds so far - but I still Celebrate with excitement :) I just got a fill a week ago' date=' and I am so completely miserable. The doc put 2cc in because before he was only doing .2 or .5 and I would stay at the same weight month to month. I am quite honestly just sick of my band. I can't eat or drink anything in the morning (I've always been like this), and I really struggle with getting food down period. With this recent fill, I have been throwing up constantly - everyday. I can't even get Water down. I know this means its too tight. But, here's my dilemma: 6 months ago I begged my doctor to take the band out and do gastric bypass on me. Because up until 6 months ago, I had no success with my band. I actually gained 20 pounds in the first year of having it. He told me to give him 3 months with the band and if I was still unsatisfied, he would do gastric. I have lost 40 pounds, but unfortunately I am more than miserable. I am a dental hygienist and get very thirsty during the day. But when I'm on breaks and trying to guzzle Water, I end up getting clogged and I have to throw it all back up (I've always been like this!!). I'm going to call the doctor on Monday to schedule to have Fluid taken out. I'm really wanting him to take a majority (if not all) of the Fluid out. I want him to give me 1 month of trying to lose weight on my own - without any help from the band. I feel as though I have learned A LOT about healthy eating and exercise and I feel like I could be successful on my own. But the other part of me is scared that I could potentially gain a lot of weight back if I'm relying in myself to lose the weight. The good thing is, is that it would only be for a month. If I'm unsuccessful, we'll fill me back up. It is truly, truly not worth it to me to be my goal weight if I'm miserable. Who wants to constantly have trouble eating and drinking all day everyday? What a miserable life to have. Sorry for the long post, but I am so lost and torn as to what I should do. Any advice?? Thanks in advance <3[/quote']

Hello I was banded on Nov 7th and I will share with you what I have learned throughout this process.......First and foremost I learned I had to get my head in the right place before ever considering the band. For me, it was staring my not so good results of my physical-blood sugar getting higher (I'm not diabetic) and blood pressure high. I looked at those numbers and said "your done, this is it, you must do something". I'm a nurse so I should know better, right? Well I lived each day getting bigger and bigger thinking one day I'll work on weight loss, just not today. I had been reading and asking questions about six months before I decided to do it and learned a lot on this site. I loved Pasta and chocolate and bread and ate it almost daily. I had to learn that I was an emotional eater-depressed about my weight, ate to feel better then came the low again. I lost 20lbs on the two week preop diet which consisted of three shakes a day and that's it. That time period alone, if you stick to it will show you what your made of. It's easy to give up, after all that's why we are overweight, right? I have amazed myself at how successful I have been with giving bad foods up. Banded nov 7th with a 40 lb weight loss so far. I didn't do it for weight loss, I did it to get healthy. THAT needs to be the goal, because let's face it anything over 200 lbs and we aren't healthy and are heading for se bad health problems. I learned to avoid sliders , I learned the band is an individual experience- don't compare yourself to anyone else because you and your band are unique. I learned to listen to the "I am full" question when eating-hiccups or a slight burp. But MOST of all I learned that I had to make permanent lifestyle changes and that the band is only an assistance decide, not the cure. Do not give up, you can do it . If you have to remove all fluid then have it done and start over. Keep a food diary, meet with the dietician. Even though I am a nurse, she still taught me things. I am in your corner along with many others here. Look in the mirror and say to yourself "I am worth it and I can do this" cuz honey ""nothing, nothing tastes as good as skinny will feel"!!!!!!!

Sara....I can understand your frustration! I have also had problems with the band. I'm unable to receive fills. As soon as I get one I experience shoulder, jaw, back and neck pain, with headaches! I have been told by many it's something I'm doing wrong, however, the doctor now thinks it's a nerve that's being pressed on to heavily. I have felt like a failure because my band doesn't work like others, and I can't get to the "green zone" that everyone raves about. You are the only one that knows if you are doing everything your suppose to do. The eating healthy, chewing well, and eating small bites. If your doing all that, and are still miserable, no one should have to live that way! You shouldn't have to justify or explain to anyone why you can't live like this! I choose to live with the band. Even though it is not filled I still feel less hungry than I did prior to the band. I give it credit for helping me lose a lot of weight and keeping it off. However, it is very hard to get to the weight the doctor advises for my height. I definitely do not feel satisfied off a cup of food three times a day! I've just been working on modifying my needs and working on how the band works for me. Maybe you need to do what I have been trying to do in this past month. I regrouped! I have decided not listen to anyone and how their band works for them. I decided to see how my band works for me! I eat 1 1/2 - 2 cups of food per meal and sometimes eat Snacks in between. However, I stick to my 1200 calories a day! Some days I graze all day on the food I have allotted for myself that day! I have lost 11 pounds so far this month by doing this! What I'm trying to say is, you can do it with little or nothing in your band. Stick to your calories, exercise, and figure out what foods seem to stick with you longer! We may have to listen to our bodies a little more than some and be a little more creative! If you have any questions or want to talk about anything just message me. I've been there, it's been 6 years for me and I'm just figuring a lot of things out about maintaining a healthy weight long term. I wish you the best of luck!!!! I know what it feels like! It SUCKS! But there is a bright side!