Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

27 weeks pregnant and I think my band is super swollen (flu + inability to do glucose test)

Hey all! So I've been banded for 2 years now. I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant and have experienced a significant increase in restriction while pregnant. I'm still able to eat and drink, but I'm definitely back to feeling like I'm at my maximum healthy-fill level, instead of pre-pregnancy where I was coasting along with being under-filled just enough to eat whatever I want if I wanted. My OB is very happy with my health and the growth and health of the baby. But recently I had the stomach flu which really aggravated my band, and I've started swelling (ankles/feet... very typical for me in the 3rd trimester based on my last pregnancy), which also means that internally I am likely swelling as well (as explained to me by my surgeon at the time of my banding). I went to take my glucose test yesterday and failed twice... both times I got severely nauseated 1/4 of the way into that disgusting drink and vomited up my efforts. Now I'm sooooo swollen that I'm having trouble in the mornings and evenings eating, drinking and keeping stuff down (middle of the day is easier for whatever reason). I'm thinking that maybe I should revert back to liquids for a few days and let things calm down... any thoughts? It's so easy to let my imagination get the best of me and freak me out thinking that maybe I have a band slip or something crazy. Has anyone experienced a really aggravated band? DId liquids for a few days help?

Thanks!! :)

-Sarah

Quite honestly, being pregnant, you don't have the time to just wait around and see if it calms down and it's highly unlikely you can get the nutrients you need on liquids. Most women get unfilled during pregnancy and this is exactly why. Proper nutrients for you and your baby are so crucial and right now you're at risk of not getting that.

Call your OBGYN, tell her exactly what's going on with your band, and see what she says. If she tells you to get an unfill then call your surgeon for one ASAP. Your baby's developmental health is far more important than your weight right now.

Best wishes

As for the swelling remember to drink your Water. For all other matters, call your doctor(s) for guidance. Hope it goes well for you!

Did you not get your band unfilled when you were first pregnant? If not then I would go for an unfill right away. Its not good to have a full band while pregant.

You should probably get at least a partial unfill with the problems you're having. Many women do gradual unfills, as needed during pregnancy, a gradual step down, refilling postpartum. Some are able to keep their fill throughout pregnancy, but it's unusual. With another 13 weeks, you need to be able to get nutrition and hydration, not just for you, but for your baby. Congrats & good luck!