Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

someone please scare me!!!

So I'm on day 13 post-op n have been having more n more BLT'S. I should b having mushy food only. I want someone to scare me cause I'm not sure what type of damage I could b doing. Overall I'm doing well on my mushys but for instance last night I made some chicken n had a couple bites n today I had 1 teriyaki chicken wing. I feel like I have no restrictions. I have been following the 1 cup 3-4 Times a day n my doc said he tightened my band a little at surgery. I won't see him till another week.

Ok here we go! Are you crazy? You just had major surgery! Your dr put you on a special diet for a reason. Your insides need to heal and that will take six weeks! I was scared to death to hurt my band, my stomach, etc. I am nearly one year out and still scared to death.

You chose to have this surgery for a reason. Don't loose site of that! We are here to help you but you also need to take what you just did to your body seriously.

Ok, start over! Get back to what you are supposed to do to let your body heal. There will be plenty of time to eat enjoyable food once your body heals!

Ok, I'm going to be very blunt and not entirely nice, but only because you specifically asked "to be scared"

What you're doing is downright stupid. You are healing. Your stomach has been sutured and manipulated. The post op diet is to give you time to heal. By disregarding your doctors post op orders, you're risking not only your band slipping but serious permanent damage to your stomach. Why bother going through all the cost and pain of the surgery if you're not even going to give yourself time to heal after?

I strongly suggest you educate yourself on the band, what it does, what it doesn't do, and what to expect. You need to learn what you need to do to be successful and healthy with it or you're going to end up not losing any weight, or worse, having major complications.

This isn't something to be taken lightly. If you're not willing to do the work and stick your doctor's post op diet to heal, how in the world are you going to follow the rules of being banded to lose weight? If you continue on the path you're on, you'll be just another person on here a year from now whining how you didn't lose any weight but it'll be because of your own bad behavior and choices. Or worse, you'll be on here complaining how you have to have the band removed because you caused so much damage.

Tell your surgeon what you've been doing and eating right away and hopefully he can get back on track before you completely sabotage yourself.

You asked for it....

Do you know making your stomach churn to digest that food can make the stitches tear? You tear your stitches and the band can slip out of place. Your Dr gave you a diet to follow for a reason, not to punish you.

No, you probably don't have any restriction. Right now it is just another diet. I'm 3mths out and do not have restriction either, so I do know what its like. But I want health right now, more than food. I work through being hungry by keeping myself occupied with other things. Today I put up a glass tile back splash in my bathroom, didn't get hungry.

Most likely you haven't hurt anything yet, but to succeed, you have to follow the rules.

Everyone remember, she asked for it. Not being rude or unsupportive, just telling it like it is.

yep you asked for it..because you know how wrong it is to eat what ever you want to...The Dr always stressed tomethe band is just a TOOL we have to work with it !!!

Keep doing what you are doing and we will send you cards in the ER! What are you thinking girl? If you have to ask someone to scare you, you are pretty pitiful when it comes to self control and will never succeed at this diet. Right now, call you doctor and tell him you need to get it out. Better planned than as an emergency. Cripes. How stupid are you?

Appreciate the responses. I guess I should have posted how I felt before I did what I did. I just spend a couple minutes reading about damage I could have done and I didn't realize I could cause complications now nor later as band slippage. Ya not only is this scarry but I could loose my band. I didn't realize that a small amount of food could ruin what I have wanted all my life...to b thin. Wow I feel like crying now. I'm gonna call by docs tomorrow n have a confession session with him.

Appreciate the responses. I guess I should have posted how I felt before I did what I did. I just spend a couple minutes reading about damage I could have done and I didn't realize I could cause complications now nor later as band slippage. Ya not only is this scarry but I could loose my band. I didn't realize that a small amount of food could ruin what I have wanted all my life...to b thin. Wow I feel like crying now. I'm gonna call by docs tomorrow n have a confession session with him.

Don't cry, look at this as an important learning experience. You're so early in your journey. Don't look at this with defeat, look at this as a chance to educate yourself on the band. It's never too late to learn and change.

So... educate yourself. It's so crucial to be successful with the band. Talk to your surgeon, ask lots of questions, and don't be afraid to speak up louder if he's still not giving you the information you need. Also, find a nutritionist and learn how to eat to be successful.

Have a look at this link, too. Its brief but gives you an overview of life with the band and what you need to do (and not do): http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

You can totally do this, you just have to utilize the tools at hand and do the work.

Best wishes to you.

Missy is right!

Live and learn. We didn't want to make you cry, but this is serious stuff. We all want nothing more than have you succeed in regaining your health.

Please next time temptation strikes, come on the boards and let us talk you down.

Learn from your mistakes and don't make them again!! the Lap Band was created to save your life and you want to shorten it!! Harsh But True!!! Stop Hurting Yourself!!! Self Love is the Best Love!!!

Y'all r too sweet. Thanks. Trust me I have learned. I know the banded life has so many rules to follow n I have to follow them to b successful. I want my health. Trust me I have four beautiful children, a great husband, supportive friends, and family members whom I love. I don't want to let them down but most importantly I don't wanna let myself down!!! Thanks for the support. It is truly wonderful to have so many experienced people like all of you for support.

Sounds like all my friends brought you back to reality so I will just wish you well on your journey and hope you will be able to follow the rules from here on out.

Best wishes after your reality check. Some were harsh, but sounds like you needed harsh!! If you felt that you wanted to eat like that, maybe you should have rethought lpbnd surgery!!!Most of us have gone through the liquid diet and the mushies while we were healing. Try to both listen to your surgeon and listen to voices of experience! Good luck, Karen