Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grocery savings?

I was just like Honk. Now when hubby & I go out, i either have food for a couple of days or, we split a meal. Single serving foods last twice as long.

Thanks for this thread.

......but we waste more than we eat....

My husband complains about that every single day! When I met him 2 yrs ago, I was about 75 lbs down and living by myself. I bought mostly ready to prepare meals, but I also made a homemade dinner about twice a week. He cleaned out my frig (about a month after we started dating, nice huh?) and threw away enuf food to feed an Ethiopian orphanage for a month!

Now, 3 yrs later, I notice that my food bill went down even with shopping for 2 now instead of just 1! Now my meals out are 2-3 meals instead of just one. Occasionally things still go to waste, but not as much as when I was single. And my fast food budget has definitely improved (used to hit the drive-thrus about 5x a week preband, about 3x a week post band and less than once a week now that I'm no longer single.)

My husband eats low carb (he lost about 80 lbs doing so in the last 3 yrs) so the food bill is about comparable to what I used to spend on just myself (meat costs more than carbs!).

But I think it's like quitting smoking. People tell you how much money you're gunna save and it ends up going somewhere else (like your gym membership) so you actually never see the extra money!) LOL

Marci

I agree with saving money. Not going to fast food as much, eating less or hardly any read meat, and not buying the extra soda n Snacks has saved some. We do have more left overs but I will freeze small portions to pull out on a later day.

I have to say my bill went up' date=' only b/c my husband eats a lot of junk food and I have to cook seperate meals for he and myself.

Junk food + healthy =

If only he would eat healthy![/quote']

My grocery bills have gone down, but hard to figure just how much, because prices have gone up here just like everywhere. BUT, I do the shopping and if my husband wants to eat junk food he can make the trip to the store himself ;))

He is very supportive and does NOT cook! Lol. He wants me to succeed and knows chips are a trigger. It has helped him lose a few pounds too and that is good for him. It's a rebound effect!

Sent from Angel's iiPad using LapBandTalk

I've found my grocery bill has gone down since ive been banded. There are five in my family, I've always bought good quality meat from a butcher and not the supermarket but now I no longer buy any rubbish from the supermarket, no more chips, biscuits, cakes, lollies etc. my trolley only consists if fresh fruit, vegetables and meat, chicken. If the kids do want chips from time to time they can go to the local Milkbar and buy a packet. If they are hungry there's always plenty of fresh fruit available to them. We never used to have a lot of take out but if we did with three men in the house just a trip to McDonald's would cost over $60. With $60 I can cook them enough fresh food for two good meals. And a Pasta meal for under $10 that would also feed them for two meals.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I am hoping mine goes down just due to purchasing smaller quantities of food.< /p>

I haven't figured a way to cook for 1.5 people.... And for the past year my daughter and 18 month old granddaughter have been living with us... So i now cook for 3/4 which is most likely what i cooked for before. But I can honestly say my bill stayed about the same.

If I was single I would be saving a bundle.

What has gone down is eating out. When it just the two of us hubby eats like he did but I get an appetizer or something of the child's menu and no alcohol for me or sodas so our eating out bills have decreased dramatically.

Also I used to spend at least $50 a week on lunches and that has dropped dramatically to basically nothing. However once in a while I will go out with coworkers for a treat but my bill is usually under 5$ depending on where we go.

I am almost one year banded and I am just now figuring out how to buy and cook appropriate amounts!!!! We used to consume a pound of Pasta with meatballs and sausage.... Now, I make 1/4 or 1/2 pound of pasta and just buy enough ground beef for about 6 medium meatballs.

It has taken a lot of " brain power" to get to this point.

We now have a backlog of pasta, mashed potatoes, rice and Mac and cheese!!!!! Planning on donating to the local food pantry.