Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green Zone.....

For me, being in the "Green Zone" is what. and still is what it is all about....

Even before being banded my surgeon showed me the chart and said "This is where we want you to be....this is our goal for you"

It has always been about getting there, and once there it is about staying there with little "maintenance" tips..

Green Zone means: NOT HUNGRY.....my hunger is totally under control, food simply does not interest me anymore.

GOOD WEIGHT LOSS....never had a problem with this, other than a plateau here and there, once I was in the Green Zone

PORTION CONTROL...Does not matter where I'm at, vacation, Thanksgiving, a restaurant, etc, etc...the band will allow me to eat so much and that's it...I CANNOT overeat..simple!

PATIENT SATISFACTION....Well, when you have the above, how can you not be happy?

Whenever I visit my Surgeon, he always points to the chart on the wall and asks me "Where do you think you are?" and after I point to a spot, he then says "Let's talk about it, THIS is where you need to be"

Too often I read posts on this forum about this and that, overeating, not happy, not loosing weight, etc.etc....and all too often people will give different answers and advice. I wonder sometimes

if this is a site for Lap Band Surgery or Weight Watchers......

My concerns are always "Are you in the Green?" and if not, "WHY NOT?"

Like I said, that has been and always will be what this surgery is all about....once I got to that point it has been pure heaven....EASY GOING the whole way, and still is.

Now I know there are people who CHOOSE NOT to take it all the way, and that's fine as long as they're happy with the results...but me...I want everything the band was designed to do...maximum results

with the littlest effort on my part...which I am glad to say I have achieved....the only hard part was learning to understand how to live the new lifestyle with the band...new foods, new eating techniques, and learning how to "Listen" to the band when it is sending me signals......

So much for my early morning rant...off to the gym!

\

\

lap_band_fill_zpsfa76dbdb.jpg

It all sounds so simple but sometimes it isn't.

For some reason many people don't reach or can't stay in the green zone.One of the issues is that after a couple of years a lot of people seem to develop reflux . That generally means that you are considered to be too tight so the Dr's won't fill or they remove Fluid. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones that it won't happen too.

It all sounds so simple but sometimes it isn't.

For some reason many people don't reach or can't stay in the green zone.One of the issues is that after a couple of years a lot of people seem to develop reflux . That generally means that you are considered to be too tight so the Dr's won't fill or they remove Fluid. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones that it won't happen too.

I agree.....medical conditions always seem to interfere with lab band surgery and it's normal protocol.....seems every time I read about people claiming failures, there is usually something medical that is the underlying cause.

This week I was at the Drs office for my monthly visit...

and the pper I fill out every visit ask...how long between meals are you hungry...what time of the day are you hungry...

This was the FIRST time since banding I looked at my husband and said...

Hun when am I hungry..????

His answer and mine was...WOW im never hungry !!!!

I do eat my 800 cals aday..but not because Im hungry....because I know its time for a meal....and ME being in control of food for the first time in my life feels soooooo good !!!!

I am so anxious to get back to the green zone after my surgery to repair my slip in November. I have/am enduring bandster hell all over again! Have an appt for my second fill... really hoping it gets me somewhere.

I love the pointing to the chart. My doctor has me fill out a questionnaire but today I think I'm going to point to the chart because I feel like I'm at the very far left-hand edge of the yellow!

Love your posts B-52, they're always inspiring!

I agree with all the above in the green zone makes it so easy to stay on track I am down another lb today and am so pleased...wow what a pleasure to eat normally for the first time in my life.GL to all

ANNOYING AND MAD WITH MYSELF

I had my 3rd fill at the beginning of December and really though I was at what you call the Green Zone. This past week however I've not been so much hungry as boredom eating. If I was in my green zone am I right in thinking that even if I had the dreaded boredom zone if I'd had my right meals I wouldn't get any more food in?

So do you suggest I'm ready for another fill

Or

I just need a kick up the backside and not be so stupid?

I'm 5.5 so far with a 10cc band.

ANNOYING AND MAD WITH MYSELF

I had my 3rd fill at the beginning of December and really though I was at what you call the Green Zone. This past week however I've not been so much hungry as boredom eating. If I was in my green zone am I right in thinking that even if I had the dreaded boredom zone if I'd had my right meals I wouldn't get any more food in?

So do you suggest I'm ready for another fill

Or

I just need a kick up the backside and not be so stupid?

I'm 5.5 so far with a 10cc band.

It's never anybodies place to tell someone else what they're medical treatment should be....

Like I previously said, my Dr. would ask me to point to the chart where I felt I was....he would ask a few questions, look at my weight loss (or not) since the last visit, then determine if, and how much. of a fill I should get that visit,,,,,

he would always point to the chart and say "THIS is where we want you to be" and he kept at it until we got there.....

I have not had a fill since May of 2011.....

This is all true. And also for some, hitting that green zone is a challenge. I'm sure I'm nowhere near, but I've also managed to lose 90 lbs with lots of hard work. I don't want to be hungry either. And I suspect it's time for me to be more on the aggressive side about eating to hit goal . On the other hand I don't like the potential of having a too tight band and the issues that come with that.

I think B-52, you posted somewhere that you sometimes can't swallow Water when.working out and have to spit it back in a towel? Not.something I really want to experience to simply feel hungry less. Also, not my own personal definition of green zone, either.

In order for my band to work, I need to be willing to mentally accept that a 1/2 cup portion is enough food, and for my band to leave my tummy in agreement of that.

I think, with my activity level, I'd feel hungry at 800 cal a day no matter how tight my band is, as I don't always feel it in my stomach, I get dizzy, lightheadedness, etc. I'd rather exercise more than have to eat only 800 cal a day.

And to maintain my goal, when I meet it, I am supposed to be able to eat ~2000 cal a day, I'm looking forward to that!

Lv your post B52. Helps to see where I need to be. I seem to find it and then loose it. I'm sure I will find the green zone eventually.

My problem is I get a small fill end up to tight then get an unfill but still have more then before and hungry.. I don't think there is a green zone for me. I remember them telling me some people are just hungry,but that seems horrible. Also can't keep affording fills and unfills etc.

My problem is I get a small fill end up to tight then get an unfill but still have more then before and hungry.. I don't think there is a green zone for me. I remember them telling me some people are just hungry,but that seems horrible. Also can't keep affording fills and unfills etc.

Do you believe that??

Again, speaking ONLY from my experiences, THIS BAND DOES WORK! It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE....that's not a Cliche...but to change our life means WE HAVE TO CHANGE....

My last fil, I was getting stuck like crazy.....I learned, the hard way, I had to learn to eat correctly.....I learned, the hard way, that there are certain foods I will never eat again....

I learned, the hard way, not to drink while eating.....I learned the hard way, never eat prior to going to bed, or laying horizontal....and there are many more lessons I needed to learn...

All these things they were trying to teach me up to that point, but it did not make sense to me until I got that point of restriction.

Bottom line...I had to break those bad eating habits...the same habits I had for years that made me "Morbidly Obese" and just about killed....

I can say, there were days I got stuck multiple time throughout the day....I remember getting stuck TWICE while eating the same meal!!

My last fil was 4 months to the day after surgery, BUT it took me 2-3 more months to get things figured out, "In the Groove" I like to call it....

I'm happy to say I've been there ever since....I don't get stuck anymore because I KNOW my lessons, and I KNOW the warning signs, when to stop, etc...

And for me, it all came through the school of hard knocks....

Every time I did something stupid I got a good kick in the you know what by getting stuck, slimed and whatever else you want to call it....

And today...I would never have imagined, before being banded, that I could eat so little, so slow, and how rarely....and yet feel so healthy, energetic, and positive mentally....

Speaking only for myself....I was close to asking to have some Fluid taken out,.... but I am glad I didn't....I don't think I would have adjusted myself if I was allowed to eat the way I wanted to.

But read other people's posts, everyone has their own story to tell....

Great post!

One other thing is that people tend to get stuck once (which is absolutely dreadful) and then fly off the handle screaming for unfills/afraid to get filled again.

I wish I could let everyone know that it's NORMAL to get stuck once in a while, especially in the beginning It really is a learning process!

People, dont be afraid to find your green zone!!

I disagree. Most of us know that it is normal to get stuck once in a while. We put it down to experience and try to remember to eat better next time. It is when one gets repeatedly stuck and cannot eat a huge variety of solid foods that people go and get an unfill

Umm I don't really understand your response to my post. I am not ditching my band. I am actually doing really well but I have a hard time finding that perfect spot. It is really hard for people on disability and limited incomes to keep going back and forth. You pay for a fill and if it's too much you have to pay for an unfil. Sometimes it feels like a vicious circle. I don't expect everyone to understand how finincialy draining it can be. I was employed full time at a good job with good benefits when I had my surgery. Never expected life to be like this.