Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks post op - can't get the calories in

I was two weeks post op this past Friday (banded 12/21). I'm in the soft food stage and at this point, according to the doc and nutritionist, I should be at about 3/4 cup of food 4 or so times a day. I've been eating lots of Protein (tuna, chicken, light laughing cow cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.), but so far I can manage about 1/2 cup three times a day and I am good to go and not hungry in the slightest. Using myfitnesspal and the max calories I've hit so far are about 800. I lost 7.5lbs the first week on liquids and haven't lost since then, which is fine since I lose 23lbs pre op - I'm ok with slow and steady. I'm just wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on getting those calories in? I'd like to at least hit 1,000. I don't do well with too few calories, but do very well on high protein diets. But if I'm not hungry, what's a girl to do? I have no fill yet and won't be due for one for another 5 weeks, but I'm thinking if I can't eat now, why in God's name would I get a fill. Anyone else been there done that? Any good website recommendations for bandster recipes? I've tried Googling, but thought I'd come here to the experts! Any info is appreciated.

Oh, forgot to mention, I am getting in the min. 64 oz of Water every day and today I finally started peeing some of it out. My body has been hanging onto everything like crazy. Bowel movements are every couple of days. Just started taking Fiber gummies, go the ok from the doc on Friday.

I went through the same thing. I was getting bout 750-800 calories a day. It's due to you are still healing and there is some swelling. Once my swelling went down my hunger started coming back. I am at 1000 calories daily but somedays I could use more but trying not to. I go for a fill on Friday so hopefully it will help. Best of luck with your journey.

Thanks krzy! I guess I've read so many threads from people indicating they were so hungry and here I go wondering what in the heck is my problem. Am I just a slow starter? I suppose it's always nice to hear you're not the only one!

If you think you need more calories, you could always drink a high protien, mid calorie shake. There are some out there ranging from 20-40g of protien, with between 130-300 calories. I personally like muscle milk light. I wouldn't complain of the lack of hunger, it'll be there before you know it. Congrats to a good start!

My surgery was 4 days before yours and my daily calories run from 700-800 a day. My nutritionist told me to concentrate on getting my fluids and Proteins in and not to be concerned with calories. I'm told the hunger will come! Best wishes to you! :)

Catfish - Too funny...yet very good point! I've got plenty of high Protein boost and high protein Ensure. I suppose I'm going to have to start trying to get some of that in. Thx for the tip! And congrats to you too on the 72lbs!!! Awesome!

Karen - Thanks. I just don't want to starve my body. I'm getting the Protein in with no problem...in fact, since I started soft foods I'm getting in a whole lot, which is great. Congrats on your 20. I've got about 78lbs more to go myself. Slow and steady and looking forward to the journey!

If you think you need more calories, you could always drink a high protien, mid calorie shake. There are some out there ranging from 20-40g of protien, with between 130-300 calories. I personally like muscle milk light. I wouldn't complain of the lack of hunger, it'll be there before you know it. Congrats to a good start!

Love Muscle Milk!...it's the only Protein shake I can drink :)

Haven't tried the Muscle Milk. Might have to give it a go...everyone seems to think it's pretty tasty!

Karen - Thanks. I just don't want to starve my body. I'm getting the Protein in with no problem...in fact, since I started soft foods I'm getting in a whole lot, which is great. Congrats on your 20. I've got about 78lbs more to go myself. Slow and steady and looking forward to the journey!

Thank you! My weekly weigh in is tomorrow and I hope to move my ticker in the right direction! :)

Thanks! I have been banded for three years, so I'm slow. BUT, I'm pretty much ok with that. I had an issue with my band early on....( it had come undone! ) and had to have surgery to re snap it closed. I am not one for giving advice on what to eat and not to eat, as i eat pretty much anything I always did. Just less of it. I eat basically no bread, and fruit that is fiberous doesn't work for me now with good restriction. Im a fish eater! I also never drink soda, although I will have a couple beers every now and then. Don't tell the band police on here though!! They'll chastise you.

I am not at all a fan of Muscle Milk, but I love the Atkins Protein Shakes. I had my surgery Dec. 17 and am getting ready to start my second week of mushy food. I also found it hard to get all the calories in the first couple of weeks. I have found that this week I was able to get in between 800-1050 calories. I usually still drink one Protein Shake for Breakfast, and I have a banana with 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter at night. It seems the more I eat, the quicker I lose the weight. Good luck!

Norina - I like Atkins shakes too as Atkins was the only "diet" that ever worked for me (lost 76lbs and kept it off for 3 years). And you sound a bit like me...the more I eat Protein and get those calories in, the more weight I lose too. That's why I suppose I'm so concerned with not getting enough, but I don't want to force it because I'm sure bad things will happen!

Not uncommon in the beginning, I am 2 years banded and I honestly thought in the beginning I would never be able to get all that Protein in or calories. It gets easier over time as you learn your band. Breads are my issues and fiberious fruits and veggies, I drink occassional carbonation but honestly really do not enjoy it, makes me burp like a sailor. Take advantage of this period this was when I got a good jump start on my weight loss, if your protein intake is low, add Protein Powder to your yogurt, cottage cheese or a Protein Shake. Good luck.