Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you PB?

• Never have.
    • Less than 5 times since I had my band.
    • A couple of times a month.
    • A couple of times a week.

I would love to know how often you PB? Also, if you have slipped do you feel it was from PB'ing?

AND finally -anybody found anything that helps????

THANKS!

Lins

I have PBed on once on Cottage cheese and two times on eggs. My problem is I have not learned to slow down enough yet. Fortunately I can tell by the second or third bite that the PB is coming on. Sipping some Water and sliming up a few times and it has been over. I then finish my food remembering to take very small bites chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew then swallow.

I would also like to know. What is PB? I was banded 12/13/2005 and I have lost 35 lbs. I have hit a plateau in the last couple of weeks. I go for another fill 04/25/2006. Hopefully I will start losing soon. I know I need to exercise when I find the time. I have had a little trouble swallowing since my last fill and I was just wondering if that is what everyone is talking about when they mention PB. Thanks for the info.....

Cricket

PBing or PB is "Productive Burping" or "Productive Burp". Same things, but folks say it in different ways. You get the golf ball feeling (food won't go through the band & is painful). You then get the slimes (your body's way of producing saliva to help ease the food down. The only problem is, the saliva has nowhere to go & just keeps backing up into your mouth). You eventually end up doing what we so delicately call a PB (Productive Burp). You actually hack up the food that is sitting in your pouch blocking the small opening made by your band (the stoma). The contents from the pouch usually have little to no digestive juices, so it's really not as bad as it sounds. After this happens the majority of us go on liquids or at least mushies for at least 24 hours. Hope that clears it up for everyone! LOL!

I have only done it 4 or 5 times since I was banded a little over 14 months ago.

Thank u, I understand now I hope I never have to go through that !

PBing or PB is "Productive Burping" or "Productive Burp". Same things, but folks say it in different ways. You get the golf ball feeling (food won't go through the band & is painful). You then get the slimes (your body's way of producing saliva to help ease the food down. The only problem is, the saliva has nowhere to go & just keeps backing up into your mouth). You eventually end up doing what we so delicately call a PB (Productive Burp). You actually hack up the food that is sitting in your pouch blocking the small opening made by your band (the stoma). The contents from the pouch usually have little to no digestive juices, so it's really not as bad as it sounds. After this happens the majority of us go on liquids or at least mushies for at least 24 hours. Hope that clears it up for everyone! LOL!

I have only done it 4 or 5 times since I was banded a little over 14 months ago.

Hi,

When you're PBing does it mean that you are very restricted (tight band)? I never had a PB (not missing much from what I've read until now...), I've been banded for 15 months, but never felt much of a restriction either (had 3 fills and loosing weight very, very, very slowly...) that's why I'm wondering if one thing is directly related to the other or not.

niki

PBs do seem to go up with more restriction... but you may just be a lucky person who eats slowly & small enough portions & chews well, etc, etc.

My PB's happen under different circumstances:

1. Too large a bite

2. Didn't chew well enough

3. Too many bites too close together

4. Too much food (upper stomach is full, lol)

The things that I've found that help:

1. SMALL bites -- baby-size! Pretend you don't have teeth!
  2. CHEW to goo (as Vines says. :D)
  3. WAIT between bites!! 30-60 seconds!!!! (This is the one that gets me.)
  4. LISTEN to your body! That burp or hiccup might just be your body telling you to stop! And any sort of sternum pain, definitely stop! Spit anything in your mouth out! Don't swallow it... you'll just have to PB it too!

Hope you never have to experience one! :D

I've had my band for 9 months now, and have never pb'ed! I'm wondering why, actually!? LOL! I have the VG Band, and am guessing that my doctor is going so slowly with the fills that I am not fully restricted yet! UGH!

I was banded 12.12.2005 and only PB'd 2 times. The first time was on yuca (I'd actually forgotten I was banded) and then on a piece of sausage. Chewing well is now a habit so I guess that is why I haven't done it any more.

Is it a true PB if you never actually have to upchuck whats hung, I have, on a few occassions had the golf ball, extra saliva and feel like i am going to puke but never what I would call slime. I have never thrown up since the day I flew home from MX after having surgery, then it was dry heaves. Usually I get up walk around can also pat my chest and it will go on down. I have 6cc in 11cm (9cc) band have only fair restriction the first couple weeks after a feel. This is when I tend to have problesm, usually from eating too fast or much.

Interestingly, the term "PB" seems to be only known by those who've had the band, and is not discussed in the literature.

It would be interesting to see some long term studies on the frequency of these episodes in patients, as well as their severity.

This is not an accurate poll, and thus, I can't use this information in my decision other then knowing that there will be obvious side-effects when you tie some around the stomach...

But believe me, I'd rather have a PB than a heart attack ,stroke, which I will get until I get the surgery.